Former AMA Prez opposed to "public option"

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
Former AMA President Counters Organization's Endorsement of Government-Run Health Care

The American Medical Association ("AMA"), seemingly against the wishes of many of its members, recently made headlines when it announced its endorsement for H.R. 3200, "America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009," the House of Representative's version of Obama's government-run health care plan.

Countering the AMA's endorsement, however, is Dr. Donald Palmisano, a former president of the organization and the current spokesperson for newly formed group called the The Coalition to Protect Patients' Rights. CPPR is opposed to a so-called "public option" and is working to ensure that patients and doctors are in charge of making health care decisions, not the government.

Recently, Dr. Palmisano joined CFIF's Renee Giachino to discuss CPPR, why policymakers shouldn't support legislation that will diminish care to 90 percent of our population, and why it's wrong under President Obama's plan to take health care decisions out of the hands of doctors and patients and give it to the government.

Former American Medical Association President Counters Organization’s Endorsement of Government-Run Health Care

That's probably why he is the "former" ... he wouldn't pander to their special interest.

Recently, Dr. Palmisano joined CFIF's Renee Giachino to discuss CPPR, why policymakers shouldn't support legislation that will diminish care to 90 percent of our population, and why it's wrong under President Obama's plan to take health care decisions out of the hands of doctors and patients and give it to the government.

Since I'm in health admin, and study health policy, I find this quite interesting. The AMA has a lot of clout, and one would think that THEY would NOT be advocates for this.

That's probably why he is the "former" ... he wouldn't pander to their special interest.

Since I'm in health admin, and study health policy, I find this quite interesting. The AMA has a lot of clout, and one would think that THEY would NOT be advocates for this.

Aah ... one would think that ... that's why they are now being bribed, bought, and conned so much lately. People have simply stopped worrying about their own healthcare and keep trusting those who "know better" ... without realizing that those people just really don't care about anything but money lining their pockets. The AMA is another of the corrupted organizations that has too much power (through trust).

Yes, let's keep the HC decisions in the hands of the corporate tools who decide these issues for most people right now.

Great idea.

So? Special interests are just that, special interests. Given the sad statistics for healthcare in this nation it is past time to change it and get some competition going so all citizens can have access.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

One more time....

Where, exactly, do you see "the competition" enabling all citizens to have access?

Where, exactly, do you see "the competition" enabling all citizens to have access?

Take a minute and read the first link you posted and you would realize something is wrong with this picture given the statistics I posted. The problem here is we have the potential to have great medicine, we simply don't do it because people are people and greed is greed. Insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies once given power pretty much control the industry and your healthcare. The statistics below show enormous profits and reduced care. Time for change.

3rd UPDATE: UnitedHealth 2Q Profit Doubles, Membership Declines - WSJ.com

Snapshots: Health Care Spending in the United States and OECD Countries - Kaiser Family Foundation

Yes, let's keep the HC decisions in the hands of the corporate tools who decide these issues for most people right now.

Great idea.

This is the point of focus right here... do we continue to have the coverage decisions made by a million-dollar private insurance bureaucrat with his eye on the price of his stock options, or switch to a coverage decisions being made by a decently paid, middle class bureaucrat with his eye on the rules and guidelines set down by our representatives in public debate?

The status quo is not working.

I am opposed to the bastard hybrid of private bureaucracies administering public funds that the insurance and drug lobbies have written for us and which is now before congress, but I am not opposed to a truly public bureaucracy similar to Social Security, which runs at an efficiency of less than 1% FICA premiums being used for overhead and administration compared to private insurance bureaucracies which run at 20 - 25% of premiums collected going toward administration and profits.

Would you lower your fuel bill by 19 - 24% if you could by switching to a different brand?

Government that works for us is not rocket science - Demand an end to professional lobbying.

-Joe

Last edited:

Take a minute and read the first link you posted and you would realize something is wrong with this picture given the statistics I posted. The problem here is we have the potential to have great medicine, we simply don't do it because people are people and greed is greed. Insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies once given power pretty much control the industry and your healthcare. The statistics below show enormous profits and reduced care. Time for change.

3rd UPDATE: UnitedHealth 2Q Profit Doubles, Membership Declines - WSJ.com

Snapshots: Health Care Spending in the United States and OECD Countries - Kaiser Family Foundation

And if you read my comment to Kitten, I'm aware. The problem is REAL change isn't what is taking place. What is happening is more and more layers of bureaucracy, more and more overlapping of services (inefficient and not cost justifiable), and more and more failure to produce actual reform. The bureaucrats don't wish to hear that though. I know -- I tried, when Obama asked for public input. So, please.... Don't tell me to "take a minute" and presume to understand my realization.

Forum List

Back