And WHO is Louis Gates, anyway?

Contessa_Sharra

Searcher for Accuracy
Apr 27, 2008
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

Contact Information
Harvard UniversityW.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Studies 104 Mt. Auburn St., 3R Cambridge, MA 02138Phone: 617.496.5468 / Fax: 617.495.9490Email:

[email protected]

Henry Louis Gates, Jr., is the Alphonse Fletcher University Professor and the Director of the W. E. B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research at Harvard University.

Professor Gates is Editor-in-Chief of the Oxford African American Studies Center, the first comprehensive scholarly online resource in the field of African American Studies and Africana Studies, and of The Root, an online news magazine dedicated to coverage of African American news, culture, and genealogy. In 2008, Oxford University Press published the African American National Biography. Co-edited with Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham, it is an 8-volume set containing more than 4,000 biographical entries on both well known and obscure African Americans. The companion website will add more than 1,000 entries to those in print within the next two years. With K. Anthony Appiah, he co-edited the encyclopedia Encarta Africana published on CD-ROM by Microsoft (1999), and in book form by Basic Civitas Books under the title Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African American Experience (1999). Oxford University Press published an expanded five-volume edition of the encyclopedia in 2005. He is most recently the author of Finding Oprah’s Roots, Finding Your Own (Crown, 2007), a meditation on genetics, genealogy, and race. His other recent books are America Behind the Color Line: Dialogues with African Americans (Warner Books, 2004), African American Lives, co-edited with Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham (Oxford, 2004), and The Annotated Uncle Tom’s Cabin, edited with Hollis Robbins (W. W. Norton, 2006). In January 2009, his book In Search of Our Roots will be published (Crown), expanding on interviews he conducted for his multi-part PBS documentary series, “African American Lives.”

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~amciv/faculty/gates.shtml

Hmm, so? No one brought up questions on his cv, did they?

My point here would be that in that particular neighborhood, and New England being exactly what it is, I cannot even begin to imagine that the "neighbor" in question did not know exactly who this man is. I grew up in insular New England and I know how they are about this sort of thing, as well as the "attitudes."

Last edited:
My point here would be that in that particular neighborhood, and New England being exactly what it is, I cannot even begin to imagine that the "neighbor" in question did not know exactly who this man is.I grew up in insular New England and I know how they are about this sort of thing, as well as the "attitudes."

How many Harvard profs do you think live in that neighborhood? My guess is they are neighbors and probably pretty diverse, sort of like Hyde Park in this locale. I guess you think it a better idea not to call the police when one observes something like shoulder being put to a door? In this case it definitely would have been fine NOT to have called it in, but let's give the woman the benefit of the doubt and she didn't recognize the professor and there were 2 men trying to get in. If it were your home, would you want your neighbors to play Kitty Genovese scenario for you?

One certainly cannot blame the neighbor who call the cops.

Cambridge is, generally speaking, a fairly high crime area.

My point here would be that in that particular neighborhood, and New England being exactly what it is, I cannot even begin to imagine that the "neighbor" in question did not know exactly who this man is.I grew up in insular New England and I know how they are about this sort of thing, as well as the "attitudes."

Whatever you may think about the neighbor, it is uncontested that Gates for some reason had broken into his house and the police had received a 911 call about the break in that did not identify Gates and went to investigate it, which is exactly what you would want the police to do if they received a 911 call your house was being broken into. Since Gates knew he had broken into the house, when Crowley explained why he was there the sane response from Gates would have to to produce his ID, explain that he had had to break into the house and thank the officer for coming by to protect his property. Then they both would have waited for the Harvard police to arrive to confirm that Gates was the legal occupant of the house since the property was being rented by Gates from Harvard.

That would have been the sane response, but however bright Gates may be, he clearly is mentally unbalanced, and whether his bizarre behavior was the result of racial prejudices against white police or a bloated ego, his conduct, shouting racial slurs and threats at the police officer, was certainly disorderly and the arrest for disorderly conduct was certainly justified even if there is room for discussion about whether it was the wisest thing to have done.

Even more bizarre and disturbing than Gates' rantings about his racial prejudices was Obama's unquestioning acceptance of these ridiculous charges. What could have motivated such a careful man to make such stupid statements unless he is so blinded by his own racial prejudices that he was unable to understand what the reaction would be? While Jeremiah Wright may be thanking the Lord that Obama was now finally telling America what he really believed, David Axelrod was probably moaning in despair as he saw the Barack Obama he had invented for the campaign metamorphose into a Jeremiah Wright disciple on national TV.

There are ONLY TWO private residences on that street and Gates has been head of his department for some time. I am sure the caller knew exactly who lived in that house!

Mapquest Street View of 16 Ware Street.

For a fellow who is supposed to be so highly educated, he sure acts stupidly when he interacts with police officials. Guess that part isn't something that he learned through common sense and living in the real world. He played the race card and the "I'm somebody important" card and it blew up in his face. I just love it!:lol:

How many Harvard profs do you think live in that neighborhood? My guess is they are neighbors and probably pretty diverse, sort of like Hyde Park in this locale. I guess you think it a better idea not to call the police when one observes something like shoulder being put to a door? In this case it definitely would have been fine NOT to have called it in, but let's give the woman the benefit of the doubt and she didn't recognize the professor and there were 2 men trying to get in. If it were your home, would you want your neighbors to play Kitty Genovese scenario for you?

You have to wonder though, how many burglars break into the front door with luggage at their feet?

You have to wonder though, how many burglars break into the front door with luggage at their feet?

and you know the luggage was there, how? The woman called it in, if the police didn't respond and property was missing, would it be because the police were racist?

Perhaps where you live B & E is about arriving in a cab and the driver helps out. That must work out well for those solving crimes, what with Company name on a brightly painted car, and a car ID number clearly shown. I NOTICE THAT THE POLICE HAVE NEVER PUBLICKLY AIRED THE 911 CALL. Maybe there wasn't one, maybe it was just Crowley in the unmarked car, cruising.... I wonder why he didn't arrest the cab driver, too!

and you know the luggage was there, how? The woman called it in, if the police didn't respond and property was missing, would it be because the police were racist?

How many people in your world would go to China and back with no luggage?

How many people in your world would go to China and back with no luggage?

Again, the police should NOT have responded because a neighbor called it in? The police should have asked her to to detect whether or not this was the owner? I mean, you ARE, so they should have kept questioning her, rather than you know, respond? Again, what is your point?

Perhaps where you live B & E is about arriving in a cab and the driver helps out. That must work out well for those solving crimes, what with Company name on a brightly painted car, and a car ID number clearly shown. I NOTICE THAT THE POLICE HAVE NEVER PUBLICKLY AIRED THE 911 CALL. Maybe there wasn't one, maybe it was just Crowley in the unmarked car, cruising.... I wonder why he didn't arrest the cab driver, too!

The driver had already left when the officer got there, and while they haven't aired the 911 call (probably to protect Gates), they have released the name of the woman that made it, so it's unlikely the call was bogus.

In a few short minutes, an honorable professor ruined his reputation and clearly showed his racism, discrediting all the work he's done in the past. The man ruined himself simply because he couldn't control himself....

It's in the accounts of the incident. Gates driver had the luggage at the front door. Gates went to the back door and had already gotten into his house with a key. Then they got the front door open and proceeded to bring the luggage in. Whether or not the 911 caller saw the luggage, I don't know, but the officer certainly did and is all the more reason why he knew this man was the home owner.

Burglars generally are taking things out, not bringing things in.

[...] Professor Gates was driven to his home by a driver for a local car company. Professor Gates attempted to enter his front door, but the door was damaged. Professor Gates then entered his rear door with his key, turned off his alarm, and again attempted to open the front door. With the help of his driver they were able to force the front door open, and then the driver carried Professor Gates’ luggage into his home.

Professor Gates immediately called the Harvard Real Estate office to report the damage to his door and requested that it be repaired immediately. As he was talking to the Harvard Real Estate office on his portable phone in his house, he observed a uniformed officer on his front porch.[...]"

Henry Louis Gates Jr. Arrested

He was in the house when the police arrived, to me this would indicate that his luggage was also in the house and not necessarily in plain view. According to a statement by his lawyer, Professor Gates was driven to his home by a driver for a local car company, not a brightly painted car with a car ID number clearly shown and a company name. Having myself driven for this type of business, the car in question was most likely a four door sedan, dark in color, probably a Lincoln, with a number discreetly pasted on the rear bumper. Furthermore, if Gates was in the house when the police arrived, I doubt seriously that his driver was still there. Whystand around when your job is done and there are probably more clients to pick up?

Just saying...

In a few short minutes, an honorable professor ruined his reputation and clearly showed his racism, discrediting all the work he's done in the past. The man ruined himself simply because he couldn't control himself....

I don't know how Gates is a racist. He may have a victim complex or be hyper sensitve to racism and profiling but I fail to see where he demonstrated racism.

It's in the accounts of the incident. Gates driver had the luggage at the front door. Gates went to the back door and had already gotten into his house with a key. Then they got the front door open and proceeded to bring the luggage in. Whether or not the 911 caller saw the luggage, I don't know, but the officer certainly did and is all the more reason why he knew this man was the home owner.

Burglars generally are taking things out, not bringing things in.

With the help of his driver they were able to force the front door open, and then the driver carried Professor Gates’ luggage into his home.

Forum List

Back