Formal Debate Forum Poll

Do you favor a Formal Debate Forum on USMB?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Yes, but with a different structure. (Please explain.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not care.

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
It's not about partisan sides, or shouldn't be. A skilled debater can argue either side of any question with equal skill.

Not is one side is demonstrably wrong and the skilled debator relies on facts and evidence.
Haven't you ever played Devil's Advocate just for the hell of it? It's fun, honest.

Yep. Sometimes I'll grant someone the bible is true- then I simply use God's law to prove that Jesus is a false prophet, as he meets every single criterion.

have an athletic supporter.

base_media

?

If it is ever implemented, you are not obligated to go there for, as you said, "The members decide for themselves whom they enjoy reading and who they ignore,...".

Nothing else about the site will have changed...including your ability to spell ridiculous....and to call people Nazis.
Authoritarian types are always anal about spelling.

Of course the board will have changed, as people like you with a broom up their ass as they can't handle free speech would now have a place to go and cry 'remove what I object too, it not in the RULES!!!!'
Free speech is why I'm here, fuckwit! Nothing will change for you if you ignore the addition. You can still trash threads all over the same forums you now haunt....should you choose to continue the practice.

Gunny, I didn't address you directly, but I will here:

Please do not give in to this forum Nazi nonsense of rules, regulations and keeping people out, it is dimetrically opposed to the concept of an open board where people can say exactly what they feel, be it smart, silly, pointless or spot on.

The members decide for themselves whom they enjoy reading and who they ignore, don't let the autoritarians ruin it for all.

From the quote above it is possible to infer that you like to have your discussions with your fellow members derailed constantly or better yet into petty name calling.

Now derailments happen, I get that, it is called conversation. What is a pain, is when almost every topic gets derailed. I have in the past and now again in various threads here in USMB have tried to have an exchange of information that more often than not gets blown away by trolls, stupidity and/or plain hostility.
He reminds me of a kid I knew years ago....thought he should be able to talk loudly in a library, movie theater or church...whined like a liberal when his daddy thumped his head for interrupting adults...later got a little extra time because he pushed his luck in a court room. Attention whores are often like that....self destructive.

Most of the complainers her can't even use the quote features without makiing a mess.

One already can have a conversation that is limited to a two person debate. All one has to do is reply back and forth.

One of the main false assumptions here is that members here cannot have a two person debate. The inability of those posters to stay focused and on track is theirs alone. not the faultt of others or the sioftware.

assHatarmits is just being anal about nothing of importance. I doubt others would want to read any bs that tool would post in a one on one thread

Considering the proposed guidelines following the question, do you favor the installation of a Formal Debate Forum on USMB?

Proposed Guidelines:

Three sub forums:
  • Challenges and Notices
  • Debates
  • Comments

In the Challenges sub-forum, members will propose a topic and seek a challenger. Open to serious replies from all members. Eventually, two members will agree to debate. Within this sub-forum, the two debaters agree upon a moderator, judges (usually three), rules, exact statement of the question and a start date. When the debate is started, the related challenge thread is closed. (Alternatively, Admin may choose to appoint a moderator to handle all formal debates. Since the debate threads will likely not accumulate anywhere near the rate of regular threads, this may turn out to be feasible.)

In the Debates sub-forum, only the two debaters and the moderator of that particular debate may post. Their postings continue until the debate is ended. When the debate is over, the thread is closed. A debate ends when a) the agreed upon number of posts have been made and the judges have weighed in with their votes, or b) a debater defaults without forgiveness of the opponent and moderator, or c) other reasons considered sufficient by Admin to stop the debate.

In the Comments (or Kibitzers) sub-forum, anyone other than the debaters, their moderator and judges can post at anytime with comments concerning that particular debate (identical or similar thread titles). These threads remain open unless closed by Admin.

you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much free time on your hands.

Do you hqve any family or friends or perhaps even a pet, you can spend some time with...away from the internet(s)?

Gunny, I didn't address you directly, but I will here:

Please do not give in to this forum Nazi nonsense of rules, regulations and keeping people out, it is dimetrically opposed to the concept of an open board where people can say exactly what they feel, be it smart, silly, pointless or spot on.

The members decide for themselves whom they enjoy reading and who they ignore, don't let the autoritarians ruin it for all.

From the quote above it is possible to infer that you like to have your discussions with your fellow members derailed constantly or better yet into petty name calling.

Now derailments happen, I get that, it is called conversation. What is a pain, is when almost every topic gets derailed. I have in the past and now again in various threads here in USMB have tried to have an exchange of information that more often than not gets blown away by trolls, stupidity and/or plain hostility.
He reminds me of a kid I knew years ago....thought he should be able to talk loudly in a library, movie theater or church...whined like a liberal when his daddy thumped his head for interrupting adults...later got a little extra time because he pushed his luck in a court room. Attention whores are often like that....self destructive.
Are you referencing me? If so please note that I am a reputation whore there is a difference. ;)

Free speech is why I'm here, fuckwit!
The only 'Fuckwit' here is you, moron.

Yes, I know you are here about it, you want to end it, like all authoritarian pinheads.

Nothing will change for you if you ignore the addition. You can still trash threads all over the same forums you now haunt....should you choose to continue the practice.
But you will have your lil stasi forum, ordering out what you don't like, whining to moderators about how the mean people won't do what you want.

I'd rather not see a good forum like this ruined by dictatorial types like you.

You remind me of every forum nazi that is on the net, false examples to support your attempts to control other posters.

You really are a troglodyte.

Your inference is ludicrous.

Ah, it must be springtime, the forum nazis are on the march.

FireGod said:
goldcatt said:
A lot of the people here are here because they like the freedom of the board, myself included I might add. Would placing a strict, structured debate forum alongside the freewheeling discussion forums in any way change the overall nature of the board? I wouldn't want that either. There are plenty of places to go if you like rules. Even if only once in a while.
I do not think it would have a negative impact on the board as a whole. Some members will get their panties in a wad because they can not post but view a particular sub board (chances are that they would have their panties in a wad anyway for something else).

I disagree there would be no effect on the board itself. You see the arguments already over it. And that's in one small thread in the Announcements forum with how many (or few) people participating? IMO, that says everything that needs to be said about that. This is not a debate board, it's an open discussion board. I like that openness, to me it's not worth jeopardizing.

If you want this and also want a formal or structured debate there's an easy solution. It's all right to frequent more than one site at a time, seriously. You're not going to go to cyber hell for message board adultery. ;)

Note I said possible. BTW that is not my personal inference.

Sorry there is a month and a half before spring.

Now if I were a forum Nazi, I would call for people to use spell check before posting and correction by the mods should that not happen, that all threads on the entire board be kept on track, and quotes like these in this very thread be deleted: oops they are gone already (asshat posts trying to get a rise out of Gunny) guess the Nazis are already taking over.

FireGod said:
goldcatt said:
A lot of the people here are here because they like the freedom of the board, myself included I might add. Would placing a strict, structured debate forum alongside the freewheeling discussion forums in any way change the overall nature of the board? I wouldn't want that either. There are plenty of places to go if you like rules. Even if only once in a while.
I do not think it would have a negative impact on the board as a whole. Some members will get their panties in a wad because they can not post but view a particular sub board (chances are that they would have their panties in a wad anyway for something else).

I disagree there would be no effect on the board itself. You see the arguments already over it. And that's in one small thread in the Announcements forum with how many (or few) people participating? IMO, that says everything that needs to be said about that. This is not a debate board, it's an open discussion board. I like that openness, to me it's not worth jeopardizing.
It would be my prediction that it would be mostly ignored except for those that participate and the trolls. We are talking about adults right?

If you want this and also want a formal or structured debate there's an easy solution. It's all right to frequent more than one site at a time, seriously. You're not going to go to cyber hell for message board adultery. ;)
If there was message board adultery then I would be seriously screwed.

Are you referencing me? If so please note that I am a reputation whore there is a difference. ;)
Not at all. It was a reference to he that you had quoted.

Free speech is why I'm here, fuckwit!
The only 'Fuckwit' here is you, moron.

Yes, I know you are here about it, you want to end it, like all authoritarian pinheads.

Nothing will change for you if you ignore the addition. You can still trash threads all over the same forums you now haunt....should you choose to continue the practice.
But you will have your lil stasi forum, ordering out what you don't like, whining to moderators about how the mean people won't do what you want.

I'd rather not see a good forum like this ruined by dictatorial types like you.

You remind me of every forum nazi that is on the net, false examples to support your attempts to control other posters.

You really are a troglodyte.
Had I suggested something outside of an additional forum, your delusional speculation and hyperbole might have some merit. No changes in other forums means you can do as you as now doing. What part of that do you not fathom? This would be an additional forum that you will never be obligated to visit.

Ah, it must be an inadequate vocabulary and lack of substantive rebut that causes you cry "nazi" in response to criticism of your hysteria.

FireGod said:
goldcatt said:

A new forum would accomplish the same without our having to leave USMessageBoard.

...and we can still cuss like fuckin' sailors...if we so choose.

Last edited:
Ah, it must be an inadequate vocabulary and lack of substantive rebut that causes you cry "nazi" in response to criticism of your hysteria.
The only 'hysteria' seen dear heart is when someone challenged your little ego mania attempt to control other posters.

Here, some mood music, although I'm sure you already listen to it every day as inspiration.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzeNj1vlzAk]YouTube - Horst Wessel Lied[/ame]

When the thread about a formal forum can't go 3 whole pages without turning into a flame war, I have little hope for such a forum. :eusa_eh:

☭proletarian☭;1982826 said:
When the thread about a formal forum can't go 3 whole pages without turning into a flame war, I have little hope for such a forum. :eusa_eh:
If the denial of access to a thread in the "1 on 1 debates" forum is made automatic, the probability of a thread there turning into a flame war will decrease. The flames wars could and almost certainly would continue as usual in the Challenges and the Kibitzers threads. These would be unrestricted...and it is easy to see what happens when adolescent, shit-headed, foul-mouth fuckwits go unrestricted.

Forum List

Back