For Those Who Do Believe In God...

And not just Christians.

Can you answer any or all of these questions for non-believers? And be prepared if you answer, to defend your answer. Who knows? Maybe you'll just make a believer outta somebody.

If I decide to believe in Jesus Christ, or Mohammed, or whomever, just so I don't go to Hell and go to Heaven (or Paradise or wherever) when I die, then I don't really believe do I? So then why would I choose to believe? How do I choose to believe?

What makes your religion so special that you know its the right one out of all the others out there? How do you know?

Why do you believe?

Explain faith.

I'm not going to explain or defend anything, to me that would be missing the whole point. God isn't something to be debated. To me a life without God would be empty and meaningless and... it was. Maybe your idea of divine magnificence is different than mine... try getting up at sunrise, or looking at a spider web, or watch birds hatch. God is everywhere in everything you just have to look if you want to find him.

Of course, if you want to look for excuses not to believe that's easy too... your choice.

Jumbo Jimbo's Song Lyrics Archive - I Believe (For Every Drop Of Rain That Falls)

(Erwin Drake - Irvin Graham
- Jimmy Shirl - Al Stillman)

I believe for every drop of rain that falls
A flower grows
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night
A candle glows
I believe for everyone who goes astray, someone will come
To show the way
I believe, I believe

I believe above a storm the smallest prayer
Can still be heard
I believe that someone in the great somewhere
Hears every word

Everytime I hear a new born baby cry,
Or touch a leaf or see the sky
Then I know why, I believe

Everytime I hear a new born baby cry,
Or touch a leaf or see the sky
Then I know why, I believe

try getting up at sunrise, or looking at a spider web, or watch birds hatch. God is everywhere in everything you just have to look if you want to find him.

Of course, if you want to look for excuses not to believe that's easy too... your choice.

The sunrise is Apollo, the spider web is ... just a spider and birds hatching is the flying spaghetti monster.

It really is easy to see Gods when that's what you want to see.
Try taking a neutral look at things. Or try looking for God in a morgue or an intensive care unit at a hospital.

I heard God dresses in black and carries a scythe.

try getting up at sunrise, or looking at a spider web, or watch birds hatch. God is everywhere in everything you just have to look if you want to find him.

The sunrise is Apollo, the spider web is ... just a spider and birds hatching is the flying spaghetti monster.

Try taking a neutral look at things. Or try looking for God in a morgue or an intensive care unit at a hospital.

All jobs come with their unpleasant duties. :(

I think (the bolded stuff) was probably meant to shine a harsh light on my beliefs but no... actually I do see God in those places too. Suffering and tragedy happen, we endure no more than we can take or need.

My question as always ... which you will appreciate ... which god?

The only one I know of that dresses in anything in Bast, even Riah is mostly nude ... and Set ... well we won't go there. Anpu rarely takes human form anyhow.

If I decide to believe in Jesus Christ, or Mohammed, or whomever, just so I don't go to Hell and go to Heaven (or Paradise or wherever) when I die, then I don't really believe do I?
I hate to nitpick, but one doesn't believe in Muhammad ﷺ. Muhammad was a historical figure. He was a man... not a god or divine in any sense as the Christian Jesus is supposed to be. According to Islam, he had the distinction of being the "Seal of the Prophets," the deliverer of what is described as Allah's final revelation to humankind.

So then why would I choose to believe? How do I choose to believe?
I suppose you'd choose to believe if the philosophy of Islam appealed to you.

What makes your religion so special that you know its the right one out of all the others out there? How do you know?
It's the religion that appeals the most to me. It's the right religion for me because it upholds moral principles that I agree with, it provides structure, and because my personal interpretation of it is rooted in logic (in my opinion, that is... certainly more so than the majority of religious beliefs.)

Why do you believe?

Explain faith.
Allah's existence can be demonstrated logically. You may not agree with this, but it should at least make you think:
The Kalam Cosmological Argument: A Summary (not my namesake BTW ;))

I should say that my religious beliefs aren't exactly orthodox. Orthodox Islam is, for the most part, at odds with rationality. My beliefs are closest to this: Mu'tazili - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hehe, one of my more interesting discussion with a fairly Orthodox moslem was about how he would stick to Ramadan if he would be living in an area with polar nights/days.
Assuming that something written down my Humans 1500 years ago is still supposed to be unchanging and eternal truth in our much changed circumstances is, in my eyes, an insult to both Human and Divine (if such a thing exist) intelligence.

Did you know the links between Arian (nothing to do with the race based or etmyological term) Christianity and Islam? Arian lived around 300 AD, his main idea/deviation from orthodox Christianity was that Jesus was a gifted Human and not something divine. Arianism was dominant especially in the western Empire, since the Franks, Alamanns or Vandals were hard to convert to a god who "got killed by Romans".
He got killed attentding the council of Nicea, on the night before his reconciliation.
His influence is still felt by some Russian Orthodox Prayers which end with "end deliver us from the Arian Heresy".

Early Christian reports about Islam also regarded it as "another form of Arian Heresy".

All jobs come with their unpleasant duties. :(

I think (the bolded stuff) was probably meant to shine a harsh light on my beliefs but no... actually I do see God in those places too. Suffering and tragedy happen, we endure no more than we can take or need.

How about all the soldiers with PTSD you really think all of them can take it?

The problem with your premise is there is no neutral look at things. No one can take their world view out of the equation.

God's easy to find in a morgue and an intensive care unit at a hospital. We are most open to His influence in the tough times in our life. When someone we love dies or is really sick, we seek for answers.

Christ suffered all things. He descended below all things to lift us above them. He even suffered death so that we may be healed and rise from the dead. We find our Father faster in pain then in times of prosperity simply because we need Him more.

Maybe that question isn't that clear. Let me clarify: I am a skeptic. To me the stories in the Bible, the Quran, the Bagavad Gita, the ones which are supernatural, are unbelievable. Let me just stick with Christianity since its the religion you and I are probably most familiar with. Take for example the story of Noah and the Ark. To me its a very hard story to believe was an actual event. But, according to Christians, if I don't believe Jesus is my savior, and really believe it, then I'm going to Hell to burn for eternity. So I can try to believe, but if my only incentive is to avoid everlasting damnation, that isn't really a sincere belief is it? You don't believe just so you can avoid Hell, right?

So, does that make it clearer?

Who said most Christians are right about what happens to you? I often wonder how many people honestly seek out more understanding of the matters, but that's alittle off your question.

I can't judge whether someone is sincere in their belief, whatever their motivations for the belief. But what I can tell you is that God will not be mocked. He doesnt take well to lip service while acting contrary to his commands.

Now, for me, a person who attempts to be rational, there is a hypocrisy to that belief: God is love, all-merciful, and forgiving, but if I don't believe his son is my savior, then I burn forever in Hell. That doesn't seem very merciful to me. It seems like a way to convert people: through fear of everlasting damnation. I can't buy it. So, if I can't believe it because it seem hypocritical to me, then am I just screwed?

The gift of His Son is the mercy. if God did nothing, we would have no hope and no chance because our choices are what damns us, not Him. There has been a law established. A Law pertaining the ways of happiness. If we transgress the law, we cannot be happy. In order for God to be perfectly just, and thus be God, He has to enforce His law. Mercy cannot rob justice.

So how does God remain just and yet extend mercy to those who seek it? The only way is for a Mediator to be provided. Someone who can take the punishment of the law in place of those who transgressed it. Thus it's only by accepting that Mediator, that mankind can recieve Mercy. Because otherwise, Justice is required of the individual or God's word is meaningless.

In what way have you experienced the power/joy/love/glory of God? How would you relate that to someone who didn't believe?

With the Power of the Holy Ghost which can wrap itself around individuals and reveal the true nature of the Lord.

I would relate it by explaining what I already have an encouraging them to seek that experience for themselves.

What do you mean by "exercising faith"? Did you try exercising faith in other religions first, or did you go with Christianity first and it has nothing to do with that you live in a Christian nation, it was just coincidental that you went with Christianity first and it was the right way to go?

By experimenting on the principles. Christ taugh that you can know the truthfulness of the Doctrine by living it.

And Ive studied and experimented with many faiths. I think true principles can be found in all religions and should be drawn out and united in one.

How did God's Spirit testify to you that it was true?

He said so with power and light.

That sounds an awful lot like LSD.

Ill take your word for it. Never been on any drugs.

How can you believe in something that is unseen and know its true.

By trying it out and seeing the results.

Do you really believe in faith healing? I thought a lot of those so-called faith healers were con men. What miracles have you seen?

Yes. Ive seen people healed. Ive been healed. Ive seen peoples lives change overnight through the power of prayer. Ive seen my own life change over time.

I would define faith as the Desire to believe.

You can define it as you choose.

And not just Christians.

Can you answer any or all of these questions for non-believers? And be prepared if you answer, to defend your answer. Who knows? Maybe you'll just make a believer outta somebody.

If I decide to believe in Jesus Christ, or Mohammed, or whomever, just so I don't go to Hell and go to Heaven (or Paradise or wherever) when I die, then I don't really believe do I? So then why would I choose to believe? How do I choose to believe?

Why do you believe?

Explain faith.

You can't just "decide" to believe. Either you have faith or you don't. God knows the difference. If you are truly interested, attend a church or two or three, or a synagogue, or any other religious institution you like and try LISTENING, instead of just preaching.

I did this for years (went to church), problem is; you can't ask the hard questions like prove to me that God exists, there are no answers except, you must have faith.

I love bait threads.

God knows if you really have faith and are saved. If you don't, you go to hell. Pretty simple.

And what makes my religion right is that it is right, it is of God, by God and for God. God indwells in those with faith, and in the Holy Word. But you can't see those things unless you ask to see them.

Just because you don't believe it and mock it doesn't mean it isn't true, and in the end, every person in hell will believe. But of course, it will be too late.

And the bible tells us not to waste pearls before swine. People who bait, torment and tease Christians are not worth the effort of trying to convert. You aren't interested in being converted. You simply want to humiliate and torture those who believe, and perhaps make them lose faith.

Have fun.

About this web site

We believe that: Religions are very different.
Religions teach very different perceptions of God.
All religions cannot be absolutely true in their beliefs.

With few exceptions, most faith groups have a positive influence on their members.
Some religions and their followers have committed terrible atrocities against women and minorities.
Honest doubt helps prevent many religious injustices. Those who were most certain of their faith were the ones who stoned the prophets.
All, or almost all, theistic religions are "bottom-up" faiths. That is, their beliefs, practices and holy books are the creation of humans trying to comprehend the deity or deities that they have created.
Few, if any, of the theistic religions are "top-down" faiths. That is, their beliefs, practices and holy books represent revelation from God to humanity.

This site describes both the positive and negative aspects of religions.
It is acceptable to criticize the actions of faith groups where those actions harm others.
This site describes dozens of faith groups, from Asatru to Christianity to Wicca to Zoroastrianism. We cover new religious movements, including dangerous cults. We describe non-theistic ethical belief systems, like Agnosticism, Atheism and Humanism.
We describe all sides of each controversial topic, from abortion, to physician assisted suicide, including capital punishment, evolution & creation science, and homosexuality.

And not just Christians.

Why do you believe?

Explain faith.

You can't just "decide" to believe. Either you have faith or you don't. God knows the difference. If you are truly interested, attend a church or two or three, or a synagogue, or any other religious institution you like and try LISTENING, instead of just preaching.

I did this for years (went to church), problem is; you can't ask the hard questions like prove to me that God exists, there are no answers except, you must have faith.

Just because you don't like the answers, doesn't mean you can't ask the questions.

If you need proof of God, than you don't understand God.

Have you read the book "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?" They have a really good little paragraph in there where the Bable fish prove that God exists and God can't exist without faith and so he goes "poof" and ceases to exist.

Is it possible for the writers of man's 'holy books' to be at least as human as the religious and political leaders of our time?

If there is a supreme being who gives a shit about this planet, what the fuck happened?

Is it possible for God to exist without the powerful packaging Him/Her up in books of stories, rules and laws used to justify the subjugation of humanity?

"All humans are God's children" - Talk about an 'inconvenient truth'! At least with regards to our recorded history!

-Joe

Forum List

Back