For Those Who Do Believe In God...

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Coloradomtnman, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    And not just Christians.

Can you answer any or all of these questions for non-believers? And be prepared if you answer, to defend your answer. Who knows? Maybe you'll just make a believer outta somebody.

If I decide to believe in Jesus Christ, or Mohammed, or whomever, just so I don't go to Hell and go to Heaven (or Paradise or wherever) when I die, then I don't really believe do I? So then why would I choose to believe? How do I choose to believe?

What makes your religion so special that you know its the right one out of all the others out there? How do you know?

Why do you believe?

Explain faith.

2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I love bait threads.

God knows if you really have faith and are saved. If you don't, you go to hell. Pretty simple.

And what makes my religion right is that it is right, it is of God, by God and for God. God indwells in those with faith, and in the Holy Word. But you can't see those things unless you ask to see them.

Just because you don't believe it and mock it doesn't mean it isn't true, and in the end, every person in hell will believe. But of course, it will be too late.

And the bible tells us not to waste pearls before swine. People who bait, torment and tease Christians are not worth the effort of trying to convert. You aren't interested in being converted. You simply want to humiliate and torture those who believe, and perhaps make them lose faith.

Have fun.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    So, no, you can't answer those questions. Thanks for your input.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I did answer the question, swine.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    I can try. Dont know if youll be satisfied.

Possibly.

How can you believe in something, but not believe in it? Im not sure thats possible.

Of course, if you don't believe then you won't go to heaven. Mostly because you have to be able to believe before you can make the changes in your life and seek the Divine changes necessary to withstand heaven.

Granted, you also have to remember, not every faith believes in the heaven/hell type scenario found in Modern Christian.

That's not something I can answer for you. I can tell you why I choose to believe. I choose to believe because I've experienced the power/joy/love/glory of God. If I denied it, I''d be lying to myself. I dont want to lie to myself or others.

Interesting question. This is one I can answer citing scripture:

I should also add the warning later on in the chapter:

Ill even sum it up for you:

You can develop faith by experimenting. Testing it out. Try having faith. Do everything that entails it. If you want to know whether God exists, pray to Him. It's what I did. I didn't know whether God existed. I believed it was possible. But I didnt know for sure. So I decided I wanted to find out and i exercised faith. I reasoned it out with myself. I dont know if God lives, but if He does and if He is all powerful He can find a way to reveal to me that He does exist.

And I told the Lord if He would reveal the truth of it to me, I would follow Him. I was ready not only to believe, but to act on the belief.

I asked God whether it was and His Spirit testified to me that it was true.

It's true. It's light. It expands the mind. It brings things clearly into view. It expands my capacity to love, to think, to become. I wouldnt be nearly the man I am today if I didnt have faith.

Not really a question, but faith is a belief in things which are unseen but which are true. Faith is more than just belief, it's an active belief. It's a principle of power that provides the individual with the ability to grow, act, change, and achieve.

Through faith the worlds were created. Through Faith the sick have been healed. Through faith miracles have been wrought. I've seen it myself.

Faith can turn the most pathetic worthless life into someone with confidence, strength, and power. It can turn a sinner into a Saint.

Faith in Jesus Christ is the foundation of the Gospel. It's the principle in which all others derive.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    He won't listen, that's not the answer he wants.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    It's not my job to make him listen. He's a big boy.

Besides, he isnt the only one reading.

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I know. I played that game for years. But then I studied the bible, and it says it's a waste to tangle with people who aren't interested, because all it does is drag God's name and the faithful into the dirt.

Anymore, I'm concise and not very nice about it. This is a bait thread, that's all it is. All it will do is draw those who would love the opportunity to re-crucify Christ, and whose greatest joy in life is ridiculing Christians and trying to make them lose faith.

I think it's a tool of Satan to spread unbelief. For a long time I felt the other way. But I've yet to see an internet Christian basher convert, or see anyone online in a forum such as this be converted by anything said within the forum. You see conversions at Christian forums, sometimes, because in addition to attracting anti-Christian demons, you also attract those who are seeking God.

But you don't get that here. And my ability to turn the other cheek is limited when it comes to people who are trying their hardest to destroy the faith of people, and increase the numbers of those headed to hell.

When really there's no excuse for it. They claim not to believe...if they don't, then why do they try so hard to un-convince people? What does it hurt, if it's not true, for people to believe in God and morality?

And that's the crux of it. That's not what it's about. CM isn't looking for answers. He's looking for ways to increase the ranks of hell. He doesn't realize it, he's a tool, but that's the long and short of it.

So anyway, pearls before swine. There's no point..at least in this forum, in response to such a blatant attack.

9. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    These, your answers, don't shed any light on the subjects I acked about, Allie. Maybe they make sense for you, but for me they don't.

God would know if I have faith, real faith. Well, how does one have real faith if, for someone like me, to have that faith requires a willful suspension of disbelief. I can want to say "Lord Jesus, I accept you into my heart as my one and true savior." to avoid Hell and ensure that I go to Heaven, but I wouldn't really believe. I can even try it (which I have, numerous times) and it just feels hollow and insincere and it is. I can't just choose to believe it. Its not possible considering how irrational and not reasonable religion is to someone who thinks rationally i.e. Noah's Ark, Moses and the Red Sea, and other supernatural events depicted in religious writings. So, inessence, I can't have faith in religious beliefs. And how would I know which one to put my faith if I could?

How do you know your religion is the right one. Just answering "Cause it is." doesn't answer the question. How do you know it is?

Why do you believe in Christianity? What made you choose that religion?

What is faith to you?

I didn't attack your faith in this thread, nor anyone else's. The questions are pointed, yes, but hardly are they attacks.

And if you don't want to defend your answers, then don't answer the questions. Go to some other thread and call non-believers swine there, Ms. Self-Righteous.

10. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Maybe that question isn't that clear. Let me clarify: I am a skeptic. To me the stories in the Bible, the Quran, the Bagavad Gita, the ones which are supernatural, are unbelievable. Let me just stick with Christianity since its the religion you and I are probably most familiar with. Take for example the story of Noah and the Ark. To me its a very hard story to believe was an actual event. But, according to Christians, if I don't believe Jesus is my savior, and really believe it, then I'm going to Hell to burn for eternity. So I can try to believe, but if my only incentive is to avoid everlasting damnation, that isn't really a sincere belief is it? You don't believe just so you can avoid Hell, right?

So, does that make it clearer?

Now, for me, a person who attempts to be rational, there is a hypocrisy to that belief: God is love, all-merciful, and forgiving, but if I don't believe his son is my savior, then I burn forever in Hell. That doesn't seem very merciful to me. It seems like a way to convert people: through fear of everlasting damnation. I can't buy it. So, if I can't believe it because it seem hypocritical to me, then am I just screwed?

In what way have you experienced the power/joy/love/glory of God? How would you relate that to someone who didn't believe?

What do you mean by "exercising faith"? Did you try exercising faith in other religions first, or did you go with Christianity first and it has nothing to do with that you live in a Christian nation, it was just coincidental that you went with Christianity first and it was the right way to go?

How did God's Spirit testify to you that it was true?

That sounds an awful lot like LSD.

How can you believe in something that is unseen and know its true. Do you really believe in faith healing? I thought a lot of those so-called faith healers were con men. What miracles have you seen?

I would define faith as the Desire to believe.