For 2008, do we want a moderate or conservative Republican leader?

Jun 26, 2005
Ontario, Canada eh?
I think it's time for a moderate leader in the Republican Party. After 8 years of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, the party should move to the left. I bet the country is moving that way anyway. Either Rudy Giuliani or John McCain would make fine presidental candidates. A Guliani-McCain or vice-versa would be formiable to anything the Democrats can muster. The polls show it for Rudy and John.

Rudy Giuliani 29%, John McCain 26%, Newt Gingrich 9%, George Allen 3%, Bill Frist 3%, Mitt Romney 2%

Rudy Giuliani 27%, John McCain 20%, Jeb Bush 10%, Newt Gingrich 8%, Bill Frist 3%, Rick Santorum 3%, George Pataki 2%, Mitt Romney 1%, Chuck Hagel 1%, Haley Barbour 1%

Rudy Giuliani 34%, John McCain 29%, Jeb Bush 12%, Bill Frist 6%, Other 7%

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_2008

Big Blue Machin said:
I think it's time for a moderate leader in the Republican Party. After 8 years of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, the party should move to the left. I bet the country is moving that way anyway. Either Rudy Giuliani or John McCain would make fine presidental candidates. A Guliani-McCain or vice-versa would be formiable to anything the Democrats can muster. The polls show it for Rudy and John.

Rudy Giuliani 29%, John McCain 26%, Newt Gingrich 9%, George Allen 3%, Bill Frist 3%, Mitt Romney 2%

Rudy Giuliani 27%, John McCain 20%, Jeb Bush 10%, Newt Gingrich 8%, Bill Frist 3%, Rick Santorum 3%, George Pataki 2%, Mitt Romney 1%, Chuck Hagel 1%, Haley Barbour 1%

since when does canada get a vote?

bush is a moderate compared to pat robertson

Conservative the whole way. Liberalism is in need a of complete and utter purge from the federal government. I say once the enemy is on the run FINISH HIM!!! The libs are on their last legs and it's way past time to cut those out. You know the only thing that is down the middle of the road? A YELLOW STRIPE!!!
Guiliani is better than McCain ( A Democrat in wolf's clothing) but either is unacceptable. A conservative will out. We shall see through the next couple of years. But no middlers, thank you and have a pleasant tommorow.

• Thanks
Reactions: -Cp
What about a Giuliani-Bush ticket?

I don't consider George Bush much of a moderate. I think it's time that the Republicans pick a leader that doesn't just appease the unpleasable extreme right-wingers of the party (you can never please them).

Big Blue Machin said:
What about a Giuliani-Bush ticket?

I don't consider George Bush much of a moderate. I think it's time that the Republicans pick a leader that doesn't just appease the unpleasable extreme right-wingers of the party (you can never please them).

bush was and is not far enough right for the ultra right

jeb is too inexperienced and a bush, would be fun to watch the world throw a fit though

rudy is not electable between the mountian ranges

mccain "betrayed" they party so the "hardliners" will fight him but he can probably get the crosover vote so i would bet on him

Personally, I'd vote for Zell Miller..

A Moderate? LOL - California got a moderate, and look how fast his opinion polls have slipped..

We need someone even stronger than GWB - someone who'll continue to keep taxes lower, a STRONG Military (Yes, I know that's something Canadians don't know anything about), protect family values including Marriage between a Man and Woman - no, two dads or two moms do not make a family, PROTECT or Borders...

Hmm.. sounds like we'd need someone like Michael Savage or Ted Nugent in there...

I'm beginning to think that there are no more "Right Wingers" in the Republican Party anymore

2008 is going to be the year of the blowback.
You are going to end up with a moderate Democrat as president and a Democratic majority in the House and Senate.
I know you are looking forward to it. :teeth:

Big Blue Machin said:

Also - pointing out the title you picked for this thread there is no such a thing as "WE" when you're a Canadian and therefore have no voice in who is picked for the next USA President..... :)

Gabriella84 said:
You are going to end up with a moderate Democrat as president and a Democratic majority in the House and Senate.

Just keep tellin' yourself that - just like I'm sure you told yourself most of the last couple of years that "John Kerry is gonna win in 2004!"...

I wouldn't be insulting the Canadians if I were you. After 2008, you might be living there. Or in France. :blah2:

-Cp said:
Personally, I'd vote for Zell Miller..

A Moderate? LOL - California got a moderate, and look how fast his opinion polls have slipped..

We need someone even stronger than GWB - someone who'll continue to keep taxes lower, a STRONG Military (Yes, I know that's something Canadians don't know anything about), protect family values including Marriage between a Man and Woman - no, two dads or two moms do not make a family, PROTECT or Borders...

Hmm.. sounds like we'd need someone like Michael Savage or Ted Nugent in there...

I'm beginning to think that there are no more "Right Wingers" in the Republican Party anymore

Moderates can win and stay in power. Look at George Pataki of New York, and Bill Weld of Massachuetts.

Big Blue Machin said:
Moderates can win and stay in power. Look at George Pataki of New York, and Bill Weld of Massachuetts.

Yeah - both of whom are completely worthless...

Gabriella84 said:
I wouldn't be insulting the Canadians if I were you. After 2008, you might be living there. Or in France. :blah2:

Who's insulting Canadians?

That's the problem with you libs - you always think that calling someone to the facts is somehow insulting....

Big Blue Machin said:
You better not make fun of Canadians. Remember we're bigger and we're on top.

Make you a deal - you stay out of American Politics, and I'll not make fun of Canadians... :)

Big Blue Machin said:
You better not make fun of Canadians. Remember we're bigger and we're on top.

:rotflmao:

Let's negotiate on this. We will trade you Britney Spears and Hilary Duff in exchange for Neil Young and a Toronto Maple Leaf to be named later. As an added bonus, we will throw in Chelsea Clinton and whoever she is shacking up with this month.

Gabriella84 said:
:rotflmao:

Let's negotiate on this. We will trade you Britney Spears and Hilary Duff in exchange for Neil Young and a Toronto Maple Leaf to be named later. As an added bonus, we will throw in Chelsea Clinton and whoever she is shacking up with this month.

I'd just like to know WHICH guy would be attracted to Chelsea??

Gabriella84 said:

I'd be considerable more worried if I hadn't heard the same thing about 2000, 2002, and 2004.

Big Blue Machin said:

The polls are showing that people want a libertarian-leaning republican rather than another "Compassionate Conservative". Rudy and John are more moderate than any of the other choices. Jeb is probably another "Compassionate Conservative", Newt is actually a Conservative, Frist is Religious Right all over, George Pataki is also one of the more liberal of the Republicans mentioned.

Gabriella84 said:

I doubt that. This is what they were saying about the 2004 election and the Republicans took even more seats as well as won the Presidency again. I think it will really depend on the Democrat candidate, if they put forward a Joe Lieberman or somebody Moderate rather than a flaming liberal they will have a chance. If they put forward HillBilly Clinton it will be a call to bring every Republican voter out of the woodwork and you are likely to end up with an actual Conservative in the Presidency.

I predict a good battle, but another Republican win.

Forum List

Back