Food stamps or junk food stamps?

Of course it should be regulated.
It is pure insanity for a country that is bankrupt to pay for soda pop and candy bars for as many as 40,000,000 people.
How the hell does that contribute to the bottom line, if that's REALLY what you NOW want us to believe concerns you?

First of all, soda and candy are allowed, so we do what Iam wants - disallow it and now the folks buy oatmeal, for example. The sameamount of money is spent. Or we disallow soda and candy, estimate how much soda and candy those on assistance buy each month and adjust their amount of assistance. OK, that actually would save a bit of money; but you penalize those who do NOT currently buy soda and candy.

Make up your mind, Iam. What really bothers you? I trust your initial reaction is what really bothers you but so many pinpointed how authoritarian that was and now you backpeddle.
I'm not cool with removing junk food from the purchasing, and then reducing the benefit amount in kind.

You're just taking more money from them that could have been used to buy healthier food instead. So now they lose the junk food, but also lose part of their much needed funds to otherwise buy different foods.

There's no good way to regulate how someone spends a handout of cash.

The only way is to cut that completely out, and just offer them certain foods directly, with vouchers or what have you.
I am of the same mind, Paulie. I'm trying to figure out what the hell this Iam character wants now.

.... Amazingly though, some of these people here like Iam and jester would be satisfied with just knowing they got to control the decisions of the recipients.
Right. With some, even such trivial control powers excite them.

If they want to buy TP with that money to wipe their butts, they can't. So, I wonder if they purchase TP with cash if they would get the same scorn from some?

Probably, because that's all they have at the moment to feel better about themselves.

Yeah, because god forbid they had a couple extra bucks left over after they paid their other bills.

In findings echoed by other economists and studies, he said the study shows the fastest way to infuse money into the economy is through expanding the food-stamp program. For every dollar spent on that program $1.73 is generated throughout the economy, he said.
Food stamps offer best stimulus - study - Jan. 29, 2008

I think cutting foodstamps would do more damage.

I am not talking about cutting foodstamps. I think that there is a real need for them. I am saying that some items should not be allowed.

Luxuries are something you have to work for, they should not come free.

it's my understanding that there ARE limits to what can be purchased with food stamps
unless those laws have been changed

It depends on the state I believe.
I know here they can't use the card to eat at a restaurant, or buy fully prepared meals from deli stores etc.
That's about it.
Basically if it has calories - you can buy it.

it's my understanding that there ARE limits to what can be purchased with food stamps
Yes. Consumable food stuffs.

If they want to buy TP with that money to wipe their butts, they can't. So, I wonder if they purchase TP with cash if they would get the same scorn from some?

Probably, because that's all they have at the moment to feel better about themselves.
well junk food generally costs more and is far less nutritious than regular foods
which means it will cost more to buy those items and give them less for it
i would support limiting those items being purchased with the food stamp program

How the hell does that contribute to the bottom line, if that's REALLY what you NOW want us to believe concerns you?

First of all, soda and candy are allowed, so we do what Iam wants - disallow it and now the folks buy oatmeal, for example. The sameamount of money is spent. Or we disallow soda and candy, estimate how much soda and candy those on assistance buy each month and adjust their amount of assistance. OK, that actually would save a bit of money; but you penalize those who do NOT currently buy soda and candy.

Make up your mind, Iam. What really bothers you? I trust your initial reaction is what really bothers you but so many pinpointed how authoritarian that was and now you backpeddle.
I'm not cool with removing junk food from the purchasing, and then reducing the benefit amount in kind.

You're just taking more money from them that could have been used to buy healthier food instead. So now they lose the junk food, but also lose part of their much needed funds to otherwise buy different foods.

The only way is to cut that completely out, and just offer them certain foods directly, with vouchers or what have you.

Amazingly though, some of these people here like Iam and jester would be satisfied with just knowing they got to control the decisions of the recipients.
since they have the "food stamps" on a debit card now
the computer should be programed to not allow junk food items to be purchased with them and that those must be paid for with cash
I understand HOW it can be done, I just don't agree with the morality of it.

Handing out cash is just a bad idea altogether.

Really? Does this mean if we spent the entire $800B Stimulus package on Cheese Puffs and M&Ms that unemployment would be in the 5%s?

No, but if it was organic vegetables and non-hormone processed meats and dairy, and tofu, and gluten-free food it would have literally brought us to full employment and staggering GDP growth.

Personialy i think that all the items you just listed are far to over priced and just a vanity issue. Food stamp money could buy the same things at better prices.

well junk food generally costs more and is far less nutritious than regular foods
i would support limiting those items being purchased with the food stamp program
So, is bologna junk food, Dive?

What's immoral about charity? All charities can't be all things to all people.

In findings echoed by other economists and studies, he said the study shows the fastest way to infuse money into the economy is through expanding the food-stamp program. For every dollar spent on that program $1.73 is generated throughout the economy, he said.

I am not talking about cutting foodstamps. I think that there is a real need for them. I am saying that some items should not be allowed.

And that is basically the same approach I have.
It really isn't whatever savings you could get out of it - the real issue is what they buy with it.
When you consider how little the $ amount is for a family of four they get in food stamps...buy 4 12 packs of pop is HORRIBLY irresponsible of the parent to waste it on such crap as that.

Amazingly though, some of these people here like Iam and jester would be satisfied with just knowing they got to control the decisions of the recipients.
the computer should be programed to not allow junk food items to be purchased with them and that those must be paid for with cash

so you want to eliminate the whole program

no, but but soda and snack cakes are
and cheese puffs and popcorn

It really isn't whatever savings you could get out of it - the real issue is what they buy with it.
When you consider how little the $ amount is for a family of four they get in food stamps...buy 4 12 packs of pop is HORRIBLY irresponsible of the parent to waste it on such crap as that.
And how the hell do you know that WOMAN in line in front of you has children, Iam?

More baseless assumptions from you, as usual.

no, but but soda and snack cakes are
and cheese puffs and popcorn
Personally, I would call bologna junk food.

I work for a family that gets $250 in foodstamps. And they do buy chips and pop, but they also buy items that you would probably approve of.

Then they are doing the right thing in all respects. :clap2:

This is a really interesting topic to me. I think there is a way to reach food stamp recipients, to encourage them to purchase wisely with their allotment. Maybe it's through restricting the food items; but that has to be done in conjunction with positive reinforcement for cooking intelligently.

I have to think on this.

I think more and more that the whole junk food thing has gotten away from us and we will better serve people if we wean them off of it.

I can remember when it was a huge treat to go get a hamburger. I don't think I had real pizza until I was in my teens. And I think that's the most healthy way to live.

And how the hell do you know that WOMAN in line in front of you has children, Iam?

More baseless assumptions from you, as usual.
how many people without children get food stamps?

I say yeah, let's regulate the shit out of these doucher poor people already. No need to stop at foodstamps. Let's not let them spend any welfare or government assistance on cable tv, itunes, internet access, satellite radio, alcohol, designer brand clothing, high octane gasoline, netflix, eat-in or take-out restaurant meals, amusement parks, concerts, dvd's, cd's, magazines, pay-per-view, museums, tobacco, jewelry, books, posters, cell phones, ipods, church collection, girl scout cookies, babysitters, sporting events or anything else that isn't an ABSOLUTE necessity gawd damn it!!!

Yay Freedom!
rockout.gif

so you want to eliminate the whole program

I want to eliminate handing out cash.

Bologna isn't junk food.

People bologna and hot dogs because they're cheap. When you can get a full package of hot dogs for $.69, compared to $8 for a chicken, guess what you're going to consider?

Forum List

Back