Food stamps or junk food stamps?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by syrenn, Sep 13, 2010.

1. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
    Are food stamps "food" stamps or all you can eat junk food stamps?

Considering that the government is now telling us what we can and cant eat, should or shouldn't eat, should be be limiting foods that you can and cant purchase with food stamps?

We are banning sodas from schools and city property because they are bad for your health. We are telling corporations what they can and cant sell. I.E. McD's happy meals having to many calories and fat and forcing company's to get rid of trans fats in food.

My question is should the food stamp program allow "junk" food to be purchased on tax payers dollars? Should soda, chips, candy, pre-made cookies and cakes now be disallowed?

I was always under the impression that the food stamps program was to provide the necessities. I would consider soda, candy and junk/snack food as luxuries.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Wicked Jester

Wicked Jester Libsmackin'chef

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,859
    It's a hard thing to regulate. There should be limits though. After all, it's us taxpayers who will end up footing the bill when these idiots end up in the hospital with coronary disease. When they end up at the dentist because their teeth are rotting out of their head. That's why these people on welfare and food stamps should be required to actually WORK for their benefits. Community service!.....Pick up trash, whatever......Allowing them to just sit on their lazy asses stuffing their faces with pork rinds and washing it down with Dr. Pepper before chucking a moonpie down their craw is friggin' ridiculous. I say regulate it all. They want to buy a 12 pack o' Dr. P, fine. But don't let 'em buy 4 cases. If they want to buy a bag o' rinds, fine. Don't let 'em buy 5.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    agreed. But better to eliminate the stamps altogether and just distribute unprocessed foods like beans and rice and lard.

"Government lard" sounds so *$&^@#$!

4. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Did you know that food stamps have the best return when wanting to stimulate the economy?

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,734
    Funny, I'm not aware of one single law that restricts what I'm allowed to eat... unless you're talking about psilocybin mushrooms.

6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,358
    The problem is that it's just a specific amount of money allotted to the individual. It will still cost taxpayers the same amount of money whether they spend it on junk, or on necessities.

And then you have the slippery slope issue of constituting 'necessity' and who should have that authority. You're delving into dictating people's lives now, and that's hardly conservative, ideologically speaking.

Someone's opinion that junk food will ultimately lead to bad health and extra medical expenses is just an opinion. There is more to health than just diet, and exercise happens to be just as important, and FREE.

A healthy exercise regiment can easily balance out a less than healthy diet, so that's a poor justification for regulating the purchasing.

7. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Food stamps offer best stimulus - study - Jan. 29, 2008

I think cutting foodstamps would do more damage.

8. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,732

Really? Does this mean if we spent the entire $800B Stimulus package on Cheese Puffs and M&Ms that unemployment would be in the 5%s?

That's not what I think of when the gubmint says "Shovel Ready", but in some aspects, tis fittin'.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  9. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,358
    No, but if it was organic vegetables and non-hormone processed meats and dairy, and tofu, and gluten-free food it would have literally brought us to full employment and staggering GDP growth.

10. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I think I am going to go with the government staying out of what we buy.