Food Stamps: Just say no to sugary soda

I am sorry, it is not right to remove the rights of others to make a choice as to what they eat regardless of how they get their resources to buy their food

It is government control of an individual, simply not American, well at least is used to be unAmerican

Most people on food stamps are buying what they need. Many don't receive enough money to buy all their food for the month. If they want to buy some pop, let them.
Food stamps have a very good return on the dollar. I can't get the link right now, but I have read for every $1.00 spent, 1.16 is put back into the economy.

I agree. Those that care about themselves and most of all, their children, use the program to make their money go as far as they can. I wish there wasn't a food stamp program or the need. I seriously think many of the issues that these programs were instituted to 'help' have created a dependent class. This proposal and the responses, seem to indicate just that.

If instead people that really were 'hungry' could go to either private or public food pantries, then the 'restrictions' on nutrition would be met-no choice. Let's really just say that if you 'need help' outside of family/friends, you go HERE and take THIS. Don't like it? Find a way to get in the stores with the rest of us.

That is what they are saying. Get what you want. Food stamps is just no longer providing soda. Don't like it? Find a way to get it but not with food stamps.

Then be honest, 'they' are different than the rest of us. If one is on food stamps to begin with, their choices are already very limited. I've always thought that not allowing the purchase of toilet paper, etc., was nasty from the beginning. Now further choices by the government, from those that should vote for them, for they are too uninformed to make choices on their own.

I don't get the 'progressives' who are so for 'those who need help,' when what is really meant are those we rule and own.

I agree. Those that care about themselves and most of all, their children, use the program to make their money go as far as they can. I wish there wasn't a food stamp program or the need. I seriously think many of the issues that these programs were instituted to 'help' have created a dependent class. This proposal and the responses, seem to indicate just that.

If instead people that really were 'hungry' could go to either private or public food pantries, then the 'restrictions' on nutrition would be met-no choice. Let's really just say that if you 'need help' outside of family/friends, you go HERE and take THIS. Don't like it? Find a way to get in the stores with the rest of us.

That is what they are saying. Get what you want. Food stamps is just no longer providing soda. Don't like it? Find a way to get it but not with food stamps.

Then be honest, 'they' are different than the rest of us. If one is on food stamps to begin with, their choices are already very limited. I've always thought that not allowing the purchase of toilet paper, etc., was nasty from the beginning. Now further choices by the government, from those that should vote for them, for they are too uninformed to make choices on their own.

I don't get the 'progressives' who are so for 'those who need help,' when what is really meant are those we rule and own.

I would rather them be allowed to purchase toilet paper as i see that as a necessity over soda any day.

Food stamps was actually another privitization.
You used to get commodity food, not prepared stuff. But the grocery retail business wanted a part of that tax money, so they converted to food stamps.

I would rather them be allowed to purchase toilet paper as i see that as a necessity over soda any day.

Oh but if they buy that really cheapo crappy toilet paper that doesn't biodegrade then all their septic systems are going to be getting clogged up in their apartments that the taxpayers are funding, and then more welfare money is going to have to go towards fixing all of that plumbing...what the hell can we do about this???

its-a-clusterfuck.jpg

Right now I am dealing with the state not paying for my child care while I am in school, because I am not in a vocational program. They will pay for it if I am going to be a dental assistant, but not if I plan to get a BA. This is what happens when the people take a good idea, and fuck it up with stupid ideas.

You used to get commodity food, not prepared stuff. But the grocery retail business wanted a part of that tax money, so they converted to food stamps.

We were on welfare as kids. I know a bit about it. :eusa_shhh:

Dad was a bum. Mom was smaht enough to pack his bags.

Food stamps should be used for food, not snacks.

stop being an idiot. soda is food. it has caloric value.

and this is a progressive idea that is pathetic. why not dictate the diet of everyone who gets government aid?

food stamps are to prevent hunger and malnutrition not to give treat types of things.

not true. some food is sweet, treats are in the eye of the beholder.

fascism mixed with a progressive ideal. that is what you support?

Right now I am dealing with the state not paying for my child care while I am in school, because I am not in a vocational program. They will pay for it if I am going to be a dental assistant, but not if I plan to get a BA. This is what happens when the people take a good idea, and fuck it up with stupid ideas.

all rules in programs are arbitrary. that's life. there is nothing stupid about supporting vocational educational advancement.

we need health care and education programs for everyone and the nation could get rid of most other programs. a healthy and educated populace would be worth every dime spent in the investment.

Well at least your honest enough to say you really know what's better for 'them.'

Not really. Had much more to do with the theoretical idea that people should learn to handle 'their money' and make good choices. Immediately though, choices were made for them. There was also the idea of stigmatization, which is why they now have a card to use, instead of funny colored stamps.

I think that his is a good move. NYC is asking that food stamps no longer cover sugary soda. They are NOT saying that you cannot have sugary soda but that you just cannot buy them with food stamps.

New York City and state officials want the U.S. Department of Agriculture to ban the use of food stamps to buy sugary soft drinks for two years to curb obesity- related diseases among the city’s poor.

Sugar-sweetened beverages are “the largest single contributor to the obesity epidemic,” Governor David Paterson and Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a joint statement in advance of a City Hall news briefing today. Obesity is almost twice as prevalent among the city’s poorest households as in the wealthiest, they said.

The state’s office for disability assistance intends to ask the USDA to exclude the drinks from the list of items that can be purchased with food stamps, a welfare program that started in 1964, the statement said. The ban, requested by both the state and local governments, would affect only the city.

New York Will Ask Obama to Bar Food Stamps in Purchase of Sugary Drinks - Bloomberg

Which is cheaper.......soda or fancy smancy bottled water?

I think that his is a good move. NYC is asking that food stamps no longer cover sugary soda. They are NOT saying that you cannot have sugary soda but that you just cannot buy them with food stamps.

New York City and state officials want the U.S. Department of Agriculture to ban the use of food stamps to buy sugary soft drinks for two years to curb obesity- related diseases among the city’s poor.

Sugar-sweetened beverages are “the largest single contributor to the obesity epidemic,” Governor David Paterson and Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a joint statement in advance of a City Hall news briefing today. Obesity is almost twice as prevalent among the city’s poorest households as in the wealthiest, they said.

The state’s office for disability assistance intends to ask the USDA to exclude the drinks from the list of items that can be purchased with food stamps, a welfare program that started in 1964, the statement said. The ban, requested by both the state and local governments, would affect only the city.

New York Will Ask Obama to Bar Food Stamps in Purchase of Sugary Drinks - Bloomberg

Which is cheaper.......soda or fancy smancy bottled water?

Your tears are cheaper you little whiner.

So we do away with food stamps and have all the people who qualify come in once a week and pick up the equivalence in food from a local food bank.

Bingo no sodas.....

What would be the difference?

Nobody ever claimed that people on food stamps are the brightest of the lot. But you have to allow them to make decisions on what they put in their mouths.
Soda, snacks and sweets may not be the wisest nutritional choice...but it is their choice to make

btw, after the last thread on this issue I decided to see if I could tell who was paying with food stamps. Unless you get right up in the person's space to see what card they are using, it is impossible.

No one is suggesting that they CANT have sugary soda.

Oh my god syrenn, we've been over this a fucking million times. I know you are saying you don't care if it's with their own money, i FUCKING GET IT.

Tell me why you are the only one who gets to have a say in how tax dollars are spent.

Why does someone who pays taxes themselves not get to have a say in what they do with their food stamp benefits they receive from taxes THEY'VE PAID INTO?

It would seem as if i am not the only one who thinks that this is a good idea. We went over it before as something that was MY opinion. It would seem as if the idea of putting holds on junk food, soda in this case, is not just MY opinion any more.

I don't care what they do with THEIR OWN MONEY. They can buy gallons of sugary soda and drown in it as far as i am concerned. Food stamps are not "their own money" so to speak.

It will be interesting to see where this goes issue goes.

Nice... That sentence alone says you should have no say in what food people buy.

soda today Milk tomorrow...you take Gov handouts, you have to play by their rules. I don't like it but I know this is a nudge, and the push will be not only food stamps but grocery stores across the USA in time.

Nobody ever claimed that people on food stamps are the brightest of the lot. But you have to allow them to make decisions on what they put in their mouths.
Soda, snacks and sweets may not be the wisest nutritional choice...but it is their choice to make

I agree with the lefty here, probably for different and similar reasons. The gubment makes decisions like this and they tend to sprawl out and the next thing you know they are mandating what foods companies can sell and what kind of spices are allowable etc... I can see where at a glance this would seem like a good idea but you gotta give people freedom to eat and drink as they choose. These people that collect welfare probably don't have a whole lot goin on at this time and to not allow them to spend that little bit of dough on doritos and pepsi for a Saturday night movie night with the kids is a grotesque display of power.

Forum List

Back