Florida wakes up to climate change

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

April 18, 2016

The city of Miami Beach is slowly disappearing under water. At the big high tides of the year the sea washes over the famous wide beach and floods many of the city streets and magnificent Art Deco buildings. And over the past decade the floods have been striking more frequently.

http://www.theguardi...-climate-change

wakeup

The human race has been hitting the snooze button for 20 years but that is going to end soon. And the cost of not acting sooner will be unprecedented in human history.

The human race has been hitting the snooze button for 20 years but that is going to end soon. And the cost of not acting sooner will be unprecedented in human history.
I agree that ignoring only exacerbates a problem, but I am at a loss to know what Florida can do about rising tides. I have heard the whole State is about 8' above sea level. The whole place is a ticking time bomb, but it seems the only solution is to pick up all those hotels and trailer parks and move to higher ground. Not to mention all those beautiful keys being inundated. I AM a believer this is happening, and I DO believe we are getting plenty of warning, but I have no solution except that of Chicken Little...RUN!!!!

April 18, 2016

The city of Miami Beach is slowly disappearing under water. At the big high tides of the year the sea washes over the famous wide beach and floods many of the city streets and magnificent Art Deco buildings. And over the past decade the floods have been striking more frequently.

wakeup
Miami 1970

lrg-6963-miami-1961.jpg

What is different from the picture in that article? It's high tide that is the issue, not sea levels. here, the same sea level height as your fking picture in 2016.

Look up the fort in Saint Augustine..it has been there since God was a pup....there are etchings of it going back hundreds of years and photos that have been taken since the advent of photography....sea level hasn't changed....beach erosion yes....changes in the land, yes...real change in sea level...no.

Look up the fort in Saint Augustine..it has been there since God was a pup....there are etchings of it going back hundreds of years and photos that have been taken since the advent of photography....sea level hasn't changed....beach erosion yes....changes in the land, yes...real change in sea level...no.

I can vouch for that. The fort is within a few hundred feet of the ocean. It's been there for 400 years. It looks to me like coastline hasn't changed a bit.

I can vouch for that. The fort is within a few hundred feet of the ocean. It's been there for 400 years. It looks to me like coastline hasn't changed a bit.
again, the issue is with tides.

again, the issue is with tides.

It sounds like the flooded areas should never have been built on in the first place.

April 18, 2016

wakeup

LOL... The Guardian... and the area they are talking about is land subsiding... its not a rise in ocean...

Breathless Mathew fails once again to check facts before posting drivel and deception.. (With the guardian as a source, credibility is always in question)

The original sea walls are still there. No flooding except during hurricanes.
Castillo-de-San-Marcos-Fort.jpg

April 18, 2016

wakeup

LOL... The Guardian... and the area they are talking about is land subsiding... its not a rise in ocean...

Breathless Mathew fails once again to check facts before posting drivel and deception.. (With the guardian as a source, credibility is always in question)

It's becoming more and more obvious that the claims of the AGW cult are pure fraud. They will use anything to support their claims, but one by one they invariably get shot down. Now they are resorting to criminalizing dissenting opinions. That's the sure sign of desperation.

I agree that ignoring only exacerbates a problem, but I am at a loss to know what Florida can do about rising tides. I have heard the whole State is about 8' above sea level. The whole place is a ticking time bomb, but it seems the only solution is to pick up all those hotels and trailer parks and move to higher ground. Not to mention all those beautiful keys being inundated. I AM a believer this is happening, and I DO believe we are getting plenty of warning, but I have no solution except that of Chicken Little...RUN!!!!

There is no solution. All coastal areas around the world will have to move as you note.

April 18, 2016

wakeup
OH wow. The entire Atlantic Ocean has risen in the area of one city.
Is this new physics caused by global warming?

There is no solution. All coastal areas around the world will have to move as you note.

Here's the solution: Move the life guard stands at the beach 3 feet farther from the surf. That should be good for about 100 years.

Beyond the high tides, South Florida water is changing

ENVIRONMENT

OCTOBER 25, 2015 10:19 PM

Beyond the high tides, South Florida water is changing
Rising sea levels are expected to drive saltwater intrusion westward, threatening drinking water

Beaches and bay could become saltier and more polluted as seas rise and oceans get warmer

A projected decrease in rain will only make matters worse

Read more here: Beyond the high tides, South Florida water is changing

Looks like the people in Miami are well aware of the problem.

6 NYCRR Part 490, Projected Sea-level Rise Rulemaking - Available for public comment through December 28, 2015.

liaerial.jpg

Rising seas and increased storm surges
put New York's coastlines at risk.
Fast Facts - Sea-level Rise in New York
  • New York has an estimated 1,850 miles of tidal shoreline exposed to the action of tides, wind and waves - much of it developed and densely populated.
  • New York has experienced at least a foot of sea-level rise since 1900, mostly due to expansion of warming ocean water. Certain conditions along New York's coast make sea-level rise here somewhat higher than the global average.
  • New York's coastal marine counties already see more intense storm surges and floods. Superstorm Sandy highlighted the risks and vulnerabilities of our tidal shorelines, which are home to more than half of New Yorkers.
  • By 2100, scientists project sea levels 18 to 50 inches higher than today along New York's coastlines and estuaries, though a rise as high as 75 inches could occur.
  • Sea-level rise is locked in for centuries, or even millennia, by heat-trapping greenhouse gases already in the atmosphere. Continuing or increasing emissions will speed up the rise to higher levels.
  • Energy, land use and infrastructure decisions made now will determine how vulnerable our children and grandchildren will be to rising sea-levels.
Sea Level Rise - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

And it is not just Miami.

Forum List

Back