Flaw with back to the future ??

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I did not think of this but a brilliant man did

The scene when they are being chased by a Muslim terrorist and go back to 1955 ??

Do you see the flaw here ??

The doctor never takes into consideration where the earths path is around the sun ??
So if you just went back to February of 1922 when the date is now July ??
You see the problem ??

You go back in time but you don’t land on earth because earth is in a different location in space and time

So you end up dead in outer space

Now if you picked the exact date then you have to pick the exact time or you end up dead in the ocean due to Earths tilt

The scene when they are being chased by a Muslim terrorist and go back to 1955 ??
Someone has way too much free time on their hands.

You go back in time but you don’t land on earth because earth is in a different location in space and time. So you end up dead in outer space
The Earth is spinning 1000 mph at the equator.
The Earth is going around the Sun at 67,000 mph.
The Sun is orbiting the galaxy at 500,000 mph.
The galaxy is flying through space at about 2.2 million mph.

Now go outside and jump up off the Earth as high as you can over and over and see what happens. :smoke:

You go back in time but you don’t land on earth because earth is in a different location in space and time. So you end up dead in outer space

Now go outside and jump up off the Earth as high as you can over and over and see what happens. :smoke:
Cute!
And thanks for the physical distance insight and math.

Now hop into you time traveling spaceship and go back one hour in time and hope you don't wind up in outer space way out past NEO, or half towards the Earth's core .... ;)

The doctor never takes into consideration where the earths path is around the sun ??
You see the problem ??

You go back in time but you don’t land on earth because earth is in a different location in space and time

Now if you picked the exact date then you have to pick the exact time or you end up dead in the ocean due to Earths tilt
Or worse.

Curious to know whom that 'brilliant man" might be.
I know I've presented something like this a couple times on other forums in recent years, but was sure I wasn't the first to think of it.

I can go you one even better, which ties in here.

There's this Law of physical science to effect that there is a finite amount of energy and matter in this Universe. A sum total of both and while energy could be changed into matter, or matter into energy, the sum total of both is a constant amount.

So let's say you hope into your time traveling spaceship and want to go back just 10 months into the past. And before you hoped in, you had a hamburger sandwich for lunch.

Ten months ago the wheat that became the bun of your burger was seeds on stalks growing in a field in Nebraska. The meat for the hamburger patty was still flesh of the cow grazing in pasture (or feed lot).

Once back ten months in time ...

Is that wheat still grains on the stalks or in your stomach?
Since matter can't be in two places at the same point in time, that 'wheat' is either 'grain on the stalk' or you have some holes in your stomach ~ GI track.

As for the meat patty, is it still part of the flesh of the still alive cow or in your GI track, or digested already in your blood stream/cells? It can only be one of those two places so does the cow now have some holes in it or do you have holes in you?

We could do a similar mind experiment where the aluminum used in the structure of your 'time&space travel machine', which has now gone back to this time in 1944; was part of the structure of a B-17 bomber and question is; does that B-17 bomber now have holes in it for the aluminum in your device, or does your device have the holes?

If your device has the holes, are they in critical parts that have now made your device inoperative?

"Time travel" might be a fun device for science fiction authors to toy with, but if doing realistic science, then "time travel", the "lever pulling, button pushing" sort, is just plain impossible

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes and other science facts...
... just repeat to yourself, it's just a show, I should really just relax"

-- Mystery Science Theater 3000 Theme Song

Stryder50
I am going back and I am putting a bullet through the eyes of each of the Nazi leaders

I have no idea what you said as I have dementia but it seems very intriguing

JoeMoma
They were being attached by a Muslim terrorist and had to get out of dodge
But the invention obviously performs whatever calculations are necessary from entering the destination date and time. Who is to say those calculations don't incorporate the movement of the earth over that time period. Do you expect Doc to manually do those calculations each time his time travel invention is used rather than have those calculations already built in?

Last edited:
Or worse.

Curious to know whom that 'brilliant man" might be.
I know I've presented something like this a couple times on other forums in recent years, but was sure I wasn't the first to think of it.

I can go you one even better, which ties in here.

There's this Law of physical science to effect that there is a finite amount of energy and matter in this Universe. A sum total of both and while energy could be changed into matter, or matter into energy, the sum total of both is a constant amount.

So let's say you hope into your time traveling spaceship and want to go back just 10 months into the past. And before you hoped in, you had a hamburger sandwich for lunch.

Ten months ago the wheat that became the bun of your burger was seeds on stalks growing in a field in Nebraska. The meat for the hamburger patty was still flesh of the cow grazing in pasture (or feed lot).

Once back ten months in time ...

Is that wheat still grains on the stalks or in your stomach?
Since matter can't be in two places at the same point in time, that 'wheat' is either 'grain on the stalk' or you have some holes in your stomach ~ GI track.

As for the meat patty, is it still part of the flesh of the still alive cow or in your GI track, or digested already in your blood stream/cells? It can only be one of those two places so does the cow now have some holes in it or do you have holes in you?

We could do a similar mind experiment where the aluminum used in the structure of your 'time&space travel machine', which has now gone back to this time in 1944; was part of the structure of a B-17 bomber and question is; does that B-17 bomber now have holes in it for the aluminum in your device, or does your device have the holes?

If your device has the holes, are they in critical parts that have now made your device inoperative?

"Time travel" might be a fun device for science fiction authors to toy with, but if doing realistic science, then "time travel", the "lever pulling, button pushing" sort, is just plain impossible
As usual, another wag whom flunked basic physics. Still, sort of amusing ... kind a ...
Time Travelers Should Be a Lot More Worried About Viruses

We can't go back in time. The hypothesis is our history or light waves are in another dimension. We would have to travel faster than the speed of light to catch them even if we could travel in another dimension besides our 3D.

You see the problem ??

There indeed is a very serious problem with any possibility of so called "time travel". As speculated via the supposed science of cosmology the universe is in constant motion.......always in a state of expansion. If one were to simply find themselves thrust 30 years in the past or 30 years in the future there is no CONSTANT to calibrate current, past, and future location, as all the tools attempted to measure distance and time are based upon nothing but theory....i.e., conjecture, speculation and assumption as if the universe were static...... when there are so many variables to consider its beyond human comprehension to calibrate. Even in a supposed "Closed Universe".....calibration is impossible.

Reality: If suddenly thrust 30 years into the past......one would with most certainty find themselves at a universal location in space where the earth HAD BEEN. There is no method to measure anything outside our solar system....even if one could calibrate time and space within our solar system...........our entire solar system would be 30 years removed from the current location as the entire universe expands at an incomprehensible speed. How do you measure.....empty space at distances to vast to calibrate with no gravitational effect? Thus man invented THE SPEED OF LIGHT as the ultimate speed? How do quantify speed when there is an absence of light if light is the source of calibration? Who actually knows the distance from one light source to another?

What is the quantifiable formula to measure time? Distance = Speed x Time Again.........there is no constant to calibrate the real universal speed, time and distance. There are countless theories but no actual source of calibration. Some would attempt to define distance by the theory of light and its different colors........and then you have those who theorize that Space and Light can be bent by gravity...etc., Where is the constant? Time travel would by necessity have to be calibrated to the millisecond to avoid catastrophic results.

Reality: There is only NOW. The past is over, the future is yet to play out....that's why they call today THE PRESENT.....its a gift from the creator, there are no guarantees, we are at the mercy of the universe.........control is an allusion. Example: Suppose the sun went Super Nova in the next instant. There is no control.....

As the old adage declares, The Serenity Prayer......."God grant me the power to accept the things that I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

Last edited:

Cant I just go to the edge and jump ?
flatearth-0.jpg

Forum List

Back