Fixing the GOP Part 5- Changing the tone on Abortion

Yawn.

Any fetus being aborted at that stage is already so seriously ill it wasn't going to survive under any circumstances.

Thanks for proving you don't know wtf you're talking about.

So in BIzarro World, you really think that there are women who wait until the 8th month of a pregnancy, after they've decorated the nursery and picked out names, to say, "Awwww, fuck it, I'm getting an abortion."

I kind of suspect you've never been around any pregnant women since birth. Or women in general, for that matter.

Oh I didn't realize you were nothing more than a troll. I'm new here so it'll take time to figure out who all the trolls are. Have a great life.

So in BIzarro World, you really think that there are women who wait until the 8th month of a pregnancy, after they've decorated the nursery and picked out names, to say, "Awwww, fuck it, I'm getting an abortion."

I kind of suspect you've never been around any pregnant women since birth. Or women in general, for that matter.

Oh I didn't realize you were nothing more than a troll. I'm new here so it'll take time to figure out who all the trolls are. Have a great life.

lol I like you already.. Welcome to the forum~

Nice to note you couldn't intelligently participate in the conversation.

Late Abortions are less than 1% of all abortions performed. But it's the ones the haters like to focus on because - even though most are medically necessary and no one picks that easily - they can pretend that was is aborted actually kind of looks more like a baby than a cocktail shrimp.

I've known women who have had to abort babies they wanted because they were medically unviable. I've know women who stopped taking birth control to try to trap a guy into marriage, and then aborted when that didn't work.

If you are serious about reducing the number of abortions, you don't judge, and you don't pass laws people will break. You try to change the society.

But I suspect most of you aren't serious, you are just working out your anger issues.

seems like you were the one trolling.

i hope all of your observations aren't butt backwards.

Abortion used to be a winner issue for Republicans, but now it is a liability. For decades, they've used it to get working class whites to vote against their own economic interests, but now the issue is backfiring on them, as Akin and Murdouck can attest.

Not that I would call on them to give up their principles... Most sensible people would agree that less abortions would be a good thing. It's how you get there that makes the difference.

First and foremost, they need to learn to live with Roe v. Wade. On a practical matter, SCOTUS is never going to overturn that ruling. Not at this point. Only three justices would vote to overturn it (Scalia, Thomas and Alito). Kennedy clearly won't, and given the way he balked at overturning ObamaCare, I doubt Roberts would, either. Democrats will probably make the next two appointments.

But even if they did get their way, most states would pass abortion laws that reflect the status quo. And it would probably lead to more Democrats at the statehouse level.

Second, just like they need to stop sounding like racists when talking about immigration, they need to stop talking like misogynists when talking about this issue. The word "rape" should never be qualified with an adjective . And when a radio loudmouth starts calling a woman vile names for expressing her opinion on family planning, every elected Republican should denounce him when he does it. The very fact I have to write these sentences tells us just how off the tracks the GOP has gotten on this issue.

So once you've accomplished the first two, you get about the third one, which is, accepting you will always have some abortion, how do you have LESS abortions? Sadly, this would probably be the hardest pill to swallow. It would mean putting the needs of pregnant women above those of big corporations, to start with. It would mean real meaningful family and medical leave. It would mean common sense sex education in the schools. And, yes, it would mean embracing universal health care.

You can compare a country like the Philippines, where abortion is illegal, but 500-800K women have them regardless, or you can have a country like France, where abortion is legal, and the government pays for them, but they also pay for all those other things. As a result, France has half the per capita abortions that we do.

I guess it depends on what your goal really is, and if you really mean what you say.

You’re correct, of course.

The problem is, however, ‘abortion’ is so deeply interwoven into the fabric of ‘values voters,’ ‘family values,’ Christian fundamentalism, and comprehensive social conservative dogma, that it will prove very difficult to extract from the republican body politic without killing the patient.

This problem is further exacerbated by the GOP’s Southern strategy, where the geographic hard-core of the Base still enjoys considerable political power and influence at the state and local level.

They will not go quietly, if at all.

A librul telling conservatives they have to condone slaughtering babies.. Unreal..

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.... For those of us who support life.. it's one of the most important issues that we support.. NOTHING and NO ONE will ever change that.

What does it matter? You don't give a shit about them once they're born.

They don't give a crap about them before they are born, otherwise, they'd support family and medical leave or universal health care or policies that would reduce the number of abortions.

You have to kind of feel sorry for Cons like ShitSlinger. She doesn't even know she's being used.

They never ask themselves, why hasn't Roe been overturned if Republicans have made 8 of the 12 appointments since it was passed?

Because those Republican justices uphold it, and will continue to do so.

It's like distracting a cat with a shiny thing. They get them all upset about this while their middle class lifestyle gets dismantled.

9cdeaff4-900d-4aa3-a10c-52a5ea5ad530.gif

Forum List

Back