First person to find this

Eminem, like his music, hate his music, like him, hate him, whatever. One thing about him is that he has no hesitation to putting what is going on in his life out there on albums. The good things he's done and the bad things. He doesn't hide it.

The catch-phrase is "keeping it real". I don't think I've ever seen another artist who does it to the degree that this dude does.

Like I said, like his music or not, but no one can ever accuse the man of not being brutally honest, even when it comes to himself.
Lyrical honesty is not a prerequisite to great music.

Thats why I said "like his music, hate his music".

I am removing his music from the point I am making.
I always separate lyrics from music. The lyrics can be brilliant, over lousy music. Bob Dylan comes to mind, as does Patti Smith, as does Bruce Springsteen, as does Kate Bush. All great lyricists, although they have many songs which I find un-listenable, music-wise. That was my only point.

I cannot listen to rap, regardless of the merits of the lyrics, because the music is not interesting to me.

I found all of the Sonic Foundry (now Sony) products are really good at being user friendly.

I started off on CeP, then moved to Vegas (acid without the in-depth beat mixing options). I loved Vegas. Still do. But then work decided to go to Audition and dump Vegas. I feel ya on the learning everything over again. Pain in the ass. Easily doubled the time it took me to do things for the first 20 hours or so of use.

We have pro-tools here. And I've played with it. But for what I need to do it's like going after a house-fly with a grenade. It has TOO much stuff, and actually slows me down as I have to sort through the options.

I couldn't agree more. Digital Performer is a bit like that, also. I find that if you know how to play to begin with, then there is less need to correct it afterward with quantizing, autotune, and all the other tricks that tend to dehumanize a track.

Autotune and quantize are not even remotely related to each other. Autotune is just an effect. Quantize is a tool to perfect timing, which happens to be quite crucial in music production.

Yeah, I think I know about quantizing and autotune, but thanks. :lol:

There's nothing dehumanizing about getting beat timing perfect. Why would you want to struggle with placing all the tracks during sequencing and mixing?

That is a contradictory statement. Getting a perfect drum track through quantization is by definition dehumanizing. Because a human cannot play a perfect drum part, down to the tick. Although sometimes I think that Dave Weckl can.

If you want a drum machine sound, like most of rap music, then by all means quantize it.

Live playing is not the same as studio producing. It's fine to be imperfect during a live performance, but with commercial production, perfection is demanded by the industry and consumers, and producers don't want to be bothered with trying to place tracks properly in each individual measure when they can just quantize and duplicate as they go.

I don't know where you get your ideas. Go listen to some Earth, Wind & Fire stuff. Put a metronome to it. You'll be off within a few bars. But they groove like a mofo. Most good R&B does not have rock-solid timing. I think maybe you are just immersed in a genre that values drum machine rigidity.

It doesn't dehumanize the process the way autotune does. Individual artistry does come into play, and producers and artists decide as they go on how to utilize certain imperfections as part of the whole song.

Autotune is a corrective measure for people who cannot sing on pitch. Quantizing is a corrective measure for people who cannot play in time - OR people looking for a drum machine sound.

Last edited:
Well, that's a position based on ignorance.

On a MACRO level, anyone who does ANYTHING is mimicking its inventor. Do you "want to be" a Caveman, when you make a campfire? No, that's a retarted piece of logic.

Do you want to "be" James Watt when you use a steam engine? That's fucking stupid.

And wigger is a term that describes a white kid who wears the latest Urban trend clothing, and talks in the latest urban slang. I don't do either of those. And nthe fact that you think any white rapper is a "wigger" is pure ignorance on the subject. Eminem, for instance, is not classified as wigger rap. He's white-trash trailer rap. There's a difference. A big one. I do "dark" Rap, usually. That's akin to Heavy Metal were I in a Band.

It's pretty far from wanting to "be black."

Didn't you have a parental figure to teach you that it's illogical to think that because a majority of X are Y, that ALL X are Y? That's ignorant. That's trying to put individuals in a box, in a nice neat package based on the intellectual laziness of wanting to learn or study further. It makes life easy, to put people in boxes. You do that.

You've got quite a long line of crap there son. Rapping was invented by blacks. Rapping is done almost exclusively by blacks. Rapping is part of the black culture. Rapping is black music, gangsta' rap and such. Blacks even ridiculed whites for rapping. It's like blacks calling each other ******. They can do it but you can't. Same with rapping. Whites that try and act like blacks rapping just look stupid, and blacks see it as an insult to their music. So the only ignorant one here is you boy. Trying to pass off your line of bull shit about why you rap. You do it because you like it, period. You know it's a black thing, but you do it anyway, so save your line of crap about why. I know why you're doing it, you secretly wish you were black.

:lol: Like I said, ignorance.

Like I said... whigger... :lol:

You've got quite a long line of crap there son. Rapping was invented by blacks. Rapping is done almost exclusively by blacks. Rapping is part of the black culture. Rapping is black music, gangsta' rap and such. Blacks even ridiculed whites for rapping. It's like blacks calling each other ******. They can do it but you can't. Same with rapping. Whites that try and act like blacks rapping just look stupid, and blacks see it as an insult to their music. So the only ignorant one here is you boy. Trying to pass off your line of bull shit about why you rap. You do it because you like it, period. You know it's a black thing, but you do it anyway, so save your line of crap about why. I know why you're doing it, you secretly wish you were black.

:lol: Like I said, ignorance.

Like I said... whigger... :lol:

Why are you putting so much emphasis on the H?

No I'm not the first king of controversy
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley
to do black music so selfishly
and used it to get myself wealthy
(Hey!!) There's a concept that works
Twenty million other white rappers emerge
But no matter how many fish in the sea
It'll be so empty, without me

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LxqUZt3BGk[/ame]

Forum List

Back