First 8th AAF Raid

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
The historic first combat mission the Army Air Force flew against the Germans, out of England in World War Two, took place on the Fourth of July 1942.
General Ira Eaker thought it fitting to schedule our first raid on America's Independence Day, so he borrowed six of the RAF's Douglas A-20 Bostons the Yanks had been training in and, along with the help of six British crews, sent them out to attack Luftwaffe airfields located in Holland.
The group of twelve A-20s split up into four groups of three and each attacked a separate target. The worst problems faced the group attacking the airfield at DeKooy. The second plane in this group, the A-20 flown by Capt. Charles C. Kegelman, took a direct hit in its right engine, knocking off its propeller. Momentarily losing control, Kegelman's right wingtip, then his belly hit the ground. Miraculously, he bounced back into the air, regained control and made it back to his base at Swanton Morley with his crew unscathed. This extraordinary mission resulted in the DSC for Kegelman and a DFC for each member of his crew.

gallowayfirstmission.jpg

The historic first combat mission the Army Air Force flew against the Germans, out of England in World War Two, took place on the Fourth of July 1942.
General Ira Eaker thought it fitting to schedule our first raid on America's Independence Day, so he borrowed six of the RAF's Douglas A-20 Bostons the Yanks had been training in and, along with the help of six British crews, sent them out to attack Luftwaffe airfields located in Holland.
The group of twelve A-20s split up into four groups of three and each attacked a separate target. The worst problems faced the group attacking the airfield at DeKooy. The second plane in this group, the A-20 flown by Capt. Charles C. Kegelman, took a direct hit in its right engine, knocking off its propeller. Momentarily losing control, Kegelman's right wingtip, then his belly hit the ground. Miraculously, he bounced back into the air, regained control and made it back to his base at Swanton Morley with his crew unscathed. This extraordinary mission resulted in the DSC for Kegelman and a DFC for each member of his crew.

gallowayfirstmission.jpg

I love these WW II stories. My Dad, who died in March, was in the 8th. His stories were awesome. He was indeed a Hero. He also got the Distinguished Flying Cross, and I proudly have it displayed with his other medals in my home. They are America's Great generation.

I took care of a guy who flew A 20's in WWII but I think near the end of the war. I wish I could remember the name of the guy he flew under but I know he was famous for shooting down the most Japanese planes in one battle, well him and his crew.

Forum List

Back