Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Before Eighth Grade

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Never

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
In public school? Never.

At home, yes. Before the 8th grade.

My oldest aunt (back in the 70's) had firearms safety class after school in the gym (Minnesota).

In the ought-70's I was enrolled in a Rifle-Pistol class in college. When the instructor saw me place 5 rounds into a quarter-sized bulls eye grouping he gave me an automatic A for the course.

That range is long gone from my alma matter. Run out of Dodge by Liberal University elites.

8th grade. At home. Git 'er done.

Guns should be taught on the very first day they are drafted. 14-years-old would be a good age. You should know by then if they are cannon fodder or not, and if their life goal should be 20 years and retired or a flag draped coffin. Someone must do the fighting and dying after all.

In public school? Never.

At home, yes. Before the 8th grade.

My oldest aunt (back in the 70's) had firearms safety class after school in the gym (Minnesota).

In the ought-70's I was enrolled in a Rifle-Pistol class in college. When the instructor saw me place 5 rounds into a quarter-sized bulls eye grouping he gave me an automatic A for the course.

That range is long gone from my alma matter. Run out of Dodge by Liberal University elites.

8th grade. At home. Git 'er done.
Cannon fodder sniper-class. Very useful, until death,

Guns should be taught on the very first day they are drafted. 14-years-old would be a good age. You should know by then if they are cannon fodder or not, and if their life goal should be 20 years and retired or a flag draped coffin. Someone must do the fighting and dying after all.

If everyone was cannon fodder after firearms training, then what are they before/without firearms training (now)?

I had been shooting for several years and owned a gun by the time is was in the 8th grade. Kids should be taught the destructive power and how to handle firearms by age 10 and continued through school.

I had been shooting for several years and owned a gun by the time is was in the 8th grade. Kids should be taught the destructive power and how to handle firearms by age 10 and continued through school.

Exactly. I was carrying a .22 rifle hunting alone by the time was ten, and I had been fully trained on it's use and safety by my dad.

learned archery in 7th, so it could be taught ~8th.

not sure about public money being used on this though.

but if you have the money, train them early in the use of handguns and knives.

Personally I don't think it's the public school's job but if a private company rented the gym or a classroom in the school to teach gun safety I'm fine with it. The age should be up to the parents.

As a responsible parent, I've taught my son about gun safety, including how to properly handle a gun at the shooting range. Unfortunately there are parents out there with guns in the house, and some of them have no interest in making sure their kids know how to safely handle a gun. That is why I would not object to having firearms training in public schools. I would implement it in grade school.

Personally I don't think it's the public school's job but if a private company rented the gym or a classroom in the school to teach gun safety I'm fine with it. The age should be up to the parents.

I think that it should be an elective and handled just the way you say. I would say no sooner than 10th grade (16 y/o).

Forum List

Back