Fined for feeding the homeless.

Good, when cities can’t afford to upkeep their cities because the downtown’s are dying dont come crying to me. I stay out of downtown areas and let others live there.

I'm betting they don't miss you.

Really? What did they pay in city taxes last year?

Regardless, it’s not relevant…a person with a home still needs a permit to host a food event in the space

For like the 5th time now. Did you read where they won their first case?

They weren't selling food they were giving it away.

They were doing nothing that endangered the public. And I didn't read any mention of any political statements in the news article.
I never claimed they were selling it, you don’t have to sell stuff to have an event that might require a permit from the local govt to use the public space

I can't wrap my mind around the idea of how it is that there are people who would even be able to write this fine up to give to people.

It instantly brings up the line from "Cool Hand Luke", calling it your job doesn't make it right, boss.

I simply could not do it. Then again, I couldn't write someone up for not wearing their seat belt either.

But authoritarians will do their thing, right or not.

I'll just copy the positive part of the article.

Thankfully, Food Not Bombs says it’s fighting back. Member Phillip Picone announced the charity’s first court victory in a video on July 30. “We’ve got 44 of these tickets, and today we won case number one,” he said. “We’re looking to go forward, and we’re looking to not be harassed, not be threatened with tickets, and not be arrested for having compassion and for fighting poverty.”

Charity sparks uproar with video showing why their members received dozens of fines from police: ‘This is just heartbreaking’
Houston has a Democratic mayor. That sounds NUTS!!!!

Figures!!!

In Springfield Oregon, they don't allow drivers to pass items to street corner panhandlers. You'll pay a fine if caught. It's worked great, and you won't see panhandlers on the streets. Next door in Eugene they are everywhere.

Where it was never enforced. The courts have consistently ruled panhandling a first amendment free speech right.

For like the 5th time now. Did you read where they won their first case?
Tell me more about it? Did the judge just dismiss the charge with cost? It’s a minor civil penalty…I can see a court doing that

Was the issues litigated? Your link is short on details. it doesn’t change the fact as your article outlines, they never got the permit

Tell me more about it? Did the judge just dismiss the charge with cost? It’s a minor civil penalty…I can see a court doing that

Was the issues litigated? Your link is short on details. it doesn’t change the fact as your article outlines, they never got the permit

Nor will they.

You arguing that one must get the permission of the government to feed someone. LOL

Authoritarianism at it's finest.

I never claimed they were selling it, you don’t have to sell stuff to have an event that might require a permit from the local govt to use the public space

So why do you assume they were required to get a permit?

Why do you assume that the legally organized and properly formed charity did not check if they needed a permit to give food to people?

I have worked with a food bank once where we gave food to people and we never had to get a permit but then again all of those people were driving up in cars to get their food I guess that makes them so much more needy than homeless people that the cops don't care about that.

Needless to say I never volunteered for that food bank again because they were giving food to people who obviously weren't in need.

Nor will they.

You arguing that one must get the permission of the government to feed someone. LOL

Authoritarianism at it's finest.
Haha no I am not, either you are an idiot or intentionally completely missing the point…maybe both

The issue is you need to have permits for events on public property…food events even. The police were simply doing their job, as that’s what the law requires

So why do you assume they were required to get a permit?

Why do you assume that the legally organized and properly formed charity did not check if they needed a permit to give food to people?

I have worked with a food bank once where we gave food to people and we never had to get a permit but then again all of those people were driving up in cars to get their food I guess that makes them so much more needy than homeless people that the cops don't care about that.

Needless to say I never volunteered for that food bank again because they were giving food to people who obviously weren't in need.
Because the article states that’s what they were charged with

Because the article states that’s what they were charged with
OK I missed that part. thanks

I still think it's stupid to criminalize feeding hungry people.

Now the question is would they have been granted the permit if they applied for one isn;t it?

I have a feeling that the permits would have been or actually were denied .

Haha no I am not, either you are an idiot or intentionally completely missing the point…maybe both

The issue is you need to have permits for events on public property…food events even. The police were simply doing their job, as that’s what the law requires

Calling it your job doesn't make it right boss

Yes you are defending the idea that one has to get the state's permission to feed someone hungry.

I hope all you people who think that a charity the feeds homeless people is committing crimes never experience homelessness or hunger.

I have experienced both, And I am grateful every day that when I was a homeless teenager that a few people actually offered me a little help and that I was able to get away from that situation.

Following up.

A local volunteer said he will continue feeding the homeless outside Houston’s downtown library after a jury ruled the city's ordinance unconstitutional. Despite the ruling, the city said it's not backing down.

Authoritarians will continue to be authoritarians, court rulings, constitution or hell or high water.

Food Not Bombs volunteer found not guilty after citation for feeding homeless | Houston Public Media

Eight more tossed.

On Thursday, eight of the 47 tickets given to a group feeding the homeless in downtown were dismissed by judges, but the city has indicated they plan to refile.

Maybe the officers realize that calling it their job doesn't make it right

The tickets were dismissed for insufficient evidence because the HPD officers did not show up for court.

City of Houston plans to refile dismissed cases against 'Foods not Bombs' group feeding the homeless

OK I missed that part. thanks

I still think it's stupid to criminalize feeding hungry people.

Now the question is would they have been granted the permit if they applied for one isn;t it?

I have a feeling that the permits would have been or actually were denied .
It doesn't matter the event, if food truck vendors decided they were all gonna show up that day, and advertised they were all meeting there....they'd need to part there.

If someone wanted to have a "free" art show, and or concert and adversited they were doing it there that day...they'd still need a permit.

Ther reason cities and localites require permitting like this is so they can prepare for the additional flood of people, among other things that might be needed

It doesn't matter the event, if food truck vendors decided they were all gonna show up that day, and advertised they were all meeting there....they'd need to part there.

If someone wanted to have a "free" art show, and or concert and adversited they were doing it there that day...they'd still need a permit.

Ther reason cities and localites require permitting like this is so they can prepare for the additional flood of people, among other things that might be needed
Were there any other events that day?

I have a feeling the town would deny any permits this charity applied for

Forum List

Back