Finance Minister Jim Flaherty Dies Suddenly at 64.

Interpol

Radical Centrist
Apr 14, 2012
U.S.
Recent former Finance Minister Jim Flaherty passed away a few days ago.

When he died I thought, "He was such a nice man even though I disagreed with him on practically everything".

In the days since his passing, he has been canonized by Conservatives for his "steady hand" through the 2008 economic crisis.

He is being called a "slayer of deficits" even though he passed 8 consecutive deficit budgets totaling upwards of $160 billion in debt after 9 straight years of budget surpluses in Canada where Canadians saw their national debt fall to $450 billion.

It is now back to over $600 billion.

Give credit where credit is due, I say, but don't just invent a stellar career record that never existed.

Jim Flaherty was responsible for raising the retirement age from 65 to 67. He died at 64, which is no small irony.

Jim Flaherty was a John McCain type 6 years ago who didn't know the economy was tanking while it was tanking.

If his administration had been handed a majority government in 2006, their plan was to deregulate financial institutions just like America did, which would have left Canada in a much deeper hole.

Flaherty's greatest legacy was the creation of the RDSP, a retirement savings account for Canadians with disabilities. Although well-intentioned, just 81,000 out of Canada's nearly 4 million disabled have signed up for it because the arithmetic only favors those families who are well-off and have the means to invest $200/month for the maximum payout, starting at age 45.

Flaherty's son had a disability and he's been called a "champion for the disabled" even though he refused to raise the disability benefit (it hasn't been raised since before the Conservatives came into power in Canada).

Under Flaherty's budgets, an individual's cellphone/internet/cable providers and banking institution were awarded a huge tax cut handout of $7 for every $100 in profits. It has helped to create approximately $625 billion in what is called "Dead Cash", which is money that corporations got back in kickbacks that were supposed to be "Trickled Down" and invested in Canadian products, services, and most importantly, jobs. Instead, corporations have sat on the money, which every empirical study going back to the early 80's has shown to be the case when you give huge tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires. After all, they can only get so many haircuts and buy so many pairs of shoes.

Meanwhile, the common person saw nothing. An average person making $30k a year with the same tax cut would be seeing an extra $42 a week or $2,100/year. Every empirical study shows that that money would be reinvested into the economy.

Under Flaherty's tenure, Veterans Affairs was cut so that fat cats could be awarded government handouts.

Under Flaherty's tenure, billions were wasted on war planes that didn't work.

Jim Flaherty was the first Finance Minister in Canadian history to cut government to a great extent and STILL manage to raise the debt by 33%, leaving a burden on regular Canadians.

He may have been a nice man, but he will not be remembered for any policy achievement that helped ordinary people. It's just revisionist propaganda from a crowd that likes to pretend to own the mantra of "fiscal conservatism" while they took from the working poor and middle class and gave to the wealthiest.

And for that he must now answer to his creator.

R.I.P. Jim Flaherty, a fat cat bitch of the 1%.

Last edited:
Is it possible that God struck him down for screwing his nation?

No, he was burdened with illness and it's unfortunate that he wasn't able to enjoy his retirement (he only retired about 4 weeks ago).

In Ottawa he is remembered fondly, even by opposition parties who didn't agree with him on anything, and it's understandable, since he seemed like one of the only Cons you'd want to have a beer with. He was jovial and always joking around.

But cutting Veterans benefits with a smile just irks me.

Like American policy, the only people in the last 5-6 years who were helped were the richest. We now have a situation in North America where a few got serious help while the rest of us have been left with massive debt shortfalls.

And it didn't have to be that way.

Corporate tax rates of 15% in Canada is remarkable, but also the reason why their debt skyrocketed.

Meanwhile, the average electrician, secretary, nurse, truck driver, plumber, they pay upwards of 25% in taxes.

Makes no sense and Jim Flaherty was part of the problem.

It was a heart attack, but it was related to the cocktail of steroids he was taking for a debilitating skin disease he had been suffering from.

You are one partisan prick Interpol. How do you sleep at night?

Oh right you're a liberal. You can slag a man who's not even cold yet and hasn't even been buried.

You sleep well evil one.

He may have been a nice man, but he will not be remembered for any policy achievement that helped ordinary people. It's just revisionist propaganda from a crowd that likes to pretend to own the mantra of "fiscal conservatism" while they took from the working poor and middle class and gave to the wealthiest.

And for that he must now answer to his creator.

Last edited:

Please tell me you aren't buying into this bullshit from this left winger?

:lol:

This Finance Minister actually reduced our GST from 7% to 5%. Interpol actually bitches about it.

This is basically a VAT tax. Added to everything in ones life. And the tax is right across the board no matter the income.

If you are looking at a tax it probably is one of the most fairest you can be burdened with in the sense that if I buy a canoe or a bass boat and the millionaire buys a yacht we both pay the same tax.

Interpol brings up shoes and haircuts. That's bullshit. If you buy a house I'm sorry 2 % shaved off the tax makes a difference. If you buy a car 2% saved on tax makes a big difference.

Interpol is an asshole.

This Finance Minister actually reduced our GST from 7% to 5%. Interpol actually bitches about it.

This is basically a VAT tax. Added to everything in ones life. And the tax is right across the board no matter the income.

If you are looking at a tax it probably is one of the most fairest you can be burdened with in the sense that if I buy a canoe or a bass boat and the millionaire buys a yacht we both pay the same tax.

Interpol brings up shoes and haircuts. That's bullshit. If you buy a house I'm sorry 2 % shaved off the tax makes a difference. If you buy a car 2% saved on tax makes a big difference.

Interpol is an asshole.

Actually, I have no idea who the guy was. From what the OP said it sounded as if he got his nation into the same sort of debt that Obama got ours in. So ... I sort of responded "tongue in cheek" in an attempt to show my disgust for folks who dig major financial holes for their constituents to dig themselves out of.

But ... sense I generally agree with you on most issues I will take your word that Interpol is what you say he is. :) (But I don't know him either).

Last edited:

Interpol is an asshole.

Actually, I have no idea who the guy was. From what the OP said it sounded as if he got his nation into the same sort of debt that Obama got ours in. So ... I sort of responded "tongue in cheek" in an attempt to show my disgust for folks who dig major financial holes for their constituents to dig themselves out of.

But ... sense I generally agree with you on most issues I will take your word that Interpol is what you say he is. :) (But I don't know him either).

We only went into debt because of the recession.

Flaherty was regarded by friend and foe alike as a true public servant who tried in the darkest hours of the financial meltdown to prudently handle a stimulus that despite putting the country into the red for the first time in years that he had an exit plan to bring us back into the black with minimal pain.

One hell of a good man and an amazing public servant. Jim was humble despite all his accolades.

Last tweet from Huffpo. As I said, left, right or center this man was dearly loved. And respected.

Jim Flaherty's Last Tweet Will Break Your Heart

The Huffington Post Canada | Posted: 04/11/2014 8:24 am EDT | Updated: 04/11/2014 1:59 pm EDT

Politicians of all stripes have lined up to praise the late Jim Flaherty, calling him, among other things, one of the best finance ministers in Canadian history, and a leading global figure during the Great Recession of 2008-2009.

But the other thing people have been saying was that Flaherty, regardless of his politics, was just a nice guy.

Here’s some evidence of that: Flaherty’s last tweet. He sent it out on March 18, the day he announced his resignation as finance minister.

It has been an honour to serve Canada. Thank you for the opportunity. pic.twitter.com/vIbBNgT0wY
— Jim Flaherty (@JimFlaherty) March 18, 2014

Interpol is an asshole.

Flaherty was regarded by friend and foe alike as a true public servant who tried in the darkest hours of the financial meltdown to prudently handle a stimulus that despite putting the country into the red for the first time in years that he had an exit plan to bring us back into the black with minimal pain.

One hell of a good man and an amazing public servant. Jim was humble despite all his accolades.

Last tweet from Huffpo. As I said, left, right or center this man was dearly loved. And respected.

The Huffington Post Canada | Posted: 04/11/2014 8:24 am EDT | Updated: 04/11/2014 1:59 pm EDT

Politicians of all stripes have lined up to praise the late Jim Flaherty, calling him, among other things, one of the best finance ministers in Canadian history, and a leading global figure during the Great Recession of 2008-2009.

But the other thing people have been saying was that Flaherty, regardless of his politics, was just a nice guy.

Here’s some evidence of that: Flaherty’s last tweet. He sent it out on March 18, the day he announced his resignation as finance minister.

It has been an honour to serve Canada. Thank you for the opportunity. pic.twitter.com/vIbBNgT0wY

I'm sorry your nation has lost a good man. If only America had some trustworthy, good guys in important, leadership positions then perhaps we could work on solutions instead of getting more of the same year after year after year.

I'm sorry your nation has lost a good man. If only America had some trustworthy, good guys in important, leadership positions then perhaps we could work on solutions instead of getting more of the same year after year after year.

We were really blessed to have Jim stick handling us thru the worst of times. I'm going to put up a proper tribute thread.

State funeral for him this week. A special honor bestowed on Flaherty and most enthusiastically supported by all our political parties Liberal, NDP and of course Conservatives.

He was loved by all. A rarity to say the least in politics anywhere on this good green earth.

;(

May Jim rest in peace and may Christine Elliott and their trips find comfort in the knowledge that this fine man spent a good portion of his life to set Canada on a healthier fiscal track.

n-JIM-FLAHERTY-FAMILY-large570.jpg

In happier times.

slide_345091_3603378_free.jpg

He found love and reason for living and still when Canada needed him, even when serious illness wreaked havoc on him, he continued on when he might well have moved to some convalescence and lived a longer life. Considering his love for family, this extends to his love for Canada.

;(

Christine knew what a good man she had found. Canada does as well. We have been extraordinarily lucky with our last few finance ministers but Mr. Flaherty went far above and beyond in the last year+.

Forum List

Back