Finally a cure for Sickle Cell illness

Had a manager at my old job whose daughter suffered from this. It's good to see progress is made.

They have been doing this more recently using a neutered HIV cell though didn't see that mentioned in article, so I guess they found a way to use something else.

They have been doing this more recently using a neutered HIV cell though didn't see that mentioned in article, so I guess they found a way to use something else.
it is some kind of genetic manipulation using crispr. i don't pretend to understand.

it is some kind of genetic manipulation using crispr. i don't pretend to understand.
IIRC from what I read, this is a pretty harsh potentially fatal treatment because they basically have to blast all your bone marrow to death and replace it with the new altered gunk like they used to do with leukemia patients. It is progress where there has been little before, but it isn't a magic bullet since you are gonna be in the hospital sterile isolation room for many weeks and its cost is in the millions without the hospital stay charges added on. I mean sure Oprah could afford it, but you would have to be pretty well-heeled for this treatment.

IIRC from what I read, this is a pretty harsh potentially fatal treatment because they basically have to blast all your bone marrow to death and replace it with the new altered gunk like they used to do with leukemia patients. It is progress where there has been little before, but it isn't a magic bullet since you are gonna be in the hospital sterile isolation room for many weeks and its cost is in the millions without the hospital stay charges added on. I mean sure Oprah could afford it, but you would have to be pretty well-heeled for this treatment.
as malaria continues to spread in the south sickle cells may turn out to be a positive adaptation as they are in africa.

Forum List

Back