Filter Bubbles

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
In this time of unlimited information at our fingertips, we find more and more people limiting themselves to information telling them what they want to hear. This is a dangerous trend that must end.

How Filter Bubbles Distort Reality: Everything You Need to Know

The Basics
Read the headline, tap, scroll, tap, tap, scroll.

It is a typical day and you are browsing your usual news site. The New Yorker, BuzzFeed, The New York Times, BBC, The Globe and Mail, take your pick. As you skim through articles, you share the best ones with like-minded friends and followers. Perhaps you add a comment.

Few of us sit down and decide to inform ourselves on a particular topic. For the most part, we pick up our smartphones or open a new tab, scroll through a favored site and click on whatever looks interesting. Or we look at Facebook or Twitter feeds to see what people are sharing. Chances are high that we are not doing this intending to become educated on a certain topic. No, we are probably waiting in line, reading on the bus or at the gym, procrastinating, or grappling with insomnia, looking for some form of entertainment.

We all do this skimming and sharing and clicking, and it seems so innocent. But many of us are uninformed about or uninterested in the forces affecting what we see online and how content affects us in return — and that ignorance has consequences.

The term “filter bubble” refers to the results of the algorithms that dictate what we encounter online. According to Eli Pariser, those algorithms create “a unique universe of information for each of us … which fundamentally alters the way we encounter ideas and information.”

Many sites offer personalized content selections, based on our browsing history, age, gender, location, and other data. The result is a flood of articles and posts that support our current opinions and perspectives to ensure that we enjoy what we see. Even when a site is not offering specifically targeted content, we all tend to follow people whose views align with ours. When those people share a piece of content, we can be sure it will be something we are also interested in.

That might not sound so bad, but filter bubbles create echo chambers. We assume that everyone thinks like us, and we forget that other perspectives exist.

Filter bubbles transcend web surfing. In important ways, your social circle is a filter bubble; so is your neighborhood. If you’re living in a gated community, for example, you might think that reality is only BMWs, Teslas, and Mercedes. Your work circle acts as a filter bubble, too, depending on whom you know and at what level you operate.

One of the great problems with filters is our human tendency to think that what we see is all there is, without realizing that what we see is being filtered.

Eli Pariser on Filter Bubbles
The concept of filter bubbles was first identified by Eli Pariser, executive of Upworthy, activist, and author. In his revolutionary book Filter Bubbles, Pariser explained how Google searches bring up vastly differing results depending on the history of the user.

In this time of unlimited information at our fingertips, we find more and more people limiting themselves to information telling them what they want to hear. This is a dangerous trend that must end.

The Basics
Read the headline, tap, scroll, tap, tap, scroll.

It is a typical day and you are browsing your usual news site. The New Yorker, BuzzFeed, The New York Times, BBC, The Globe and Mail, take your pick. As you skim through articles, you share the best ones with like-minded friends and followers. Perhaps you add a comment.

Few of us sit down and decide to inform ourselves on a particular topic. For the most part, we pick up our smartphones or open a new tab, scroll through a favored site and click on whatever looks interesting. Or we look at Facebook or Twitter feeds to see what people are sharing. Chances are high that we are not doing this intending to become educated on a certain topic. No, we are probably waiting in line, reading on the bus or at the gym, procrastinating, or grappling with insomnia, looking for some form of entertainment.

We all do this skimming and sharing and clicking, and it seems so innocent. But many of us are uninformed about or uninterested in the forces affecting what we see online and how content affects us in return — and that ignorance has consequences.

The term “filter bubble” refers to the results of the algorithms that dictate what we encounter online. According to Eli Pariser, those algorithms create “a unique universe of information for each of us … which fundamentally alters the way we encounter ideas and information.”

Many sites offer personalized content selections, based on our browsing history, age, gender, location, and other data. The result is a flood of articles and posts that support our current opinions and perspectives to ensure that we enjoy what we see. Even when a site is not offering specifically targeted content, we all tend to follow people whose views align with ours. When those people share a piece of content, we can be sure it will be something we are also interested in.

That might not sound so bad, but filter bubbles create echo chambers. We assume that everyone thinks like us, and we forget that other perspectives exist.

Filter bubbles transcend web surfing. In important ways, your social circle is a filter bubble; so is your neighborhood. If you’re living in a gated community, for example, you might think that reality is only BMWs, Teslas, and Mercedes. Your work circle acts as a filter bubble, too, depending on whom you know and at what level you operate.

One of the great problems with filters is our human tendency to think that what we see is all there is, without realizing that what we see is being filtered.

Eli Pariser on Filter Bubbles
The concept of filter bubbles was first identified by Eli Pariser, executive of Upworthy, activist, and author. In his revolutionary book Filter Bubbles, Pariser explained how Google searches bring up vastly differing results depending on the history of the user.

I know that when my pool filter starts to bubble, it is time to clean the lint trap. Once it starts to do that, it totally distorts my clear view of the bottom of my pool!

Yes, the filters essentially give you info that agrees with you. It creates a confirmation bias. I am sure that is one reason that there is such a bipolar divide between left and right Americans that you see, for example, on this forum.

Those that link a phone with a tablet or desktop allow tremendous opportunities for personal data mining through the link. All major etail and social sites have terms of service that allow third parties to see your data.

If you are on gmail, you can avoid tracking and personal data mining by not linking your devices and not signing on while you surf. I clean my history and log out of gmail when I'm not using it. I use duckduckgo.com because they don't sell your information.

It seems that the Millennials don't mind being tracked. I'm old school.

The novel, "1984" predicted the government watching you. They failed to predict it would actually be web commerce.

Yes, the filters essentially give you info that agrees with you. It creates a confirmation bias. I am sure that is one reason that there is such a bipolar divide between left and right Americans that you see, for example, on this forum.

Those that link a phone with a tablet or desktop allow tremendous opportunities for personal data mining through the link. All major etail and social sites have terms of service that allow third parties to see your data.

If you are on gmail, you can avoid tracking and personal data mining by not linking your devices and not signing on while you surf. I clean my history and log out of gmail when I'm not using it. I use duckduckgo.com because they don't sell your information.

It seems that the Millennials don't mind being tracked. I'm old school.

The novel, "1984" predicted the government watching you. They failed to predict it would actually be web commerce.

I read that in high school. That novel was eerily accurate for sure. I don't use social media. I have a Facebook page but rarely use it. I'm old school myself and learned long before there was an internet to research issues using all sides.

Forum List

Back