A Remote-Start App Exposed Thousands of Cars to Hackers

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Last winter, a hacker who goes by the handle Jmaxxz was looking for a Christmas present for his girlfriend. She’d recently flown back from a work trip and complained that her fingers had been painfully cold on her drive home from the airport, thanks to below-freezing winter weather and a circulatory system condition known as Raynaud’s disease. So Jmaxxz had the idea to buy her a remote starter that would connected to her car’s dashboard and, with an accompanying device and app called Linkr, allow her to start the car's engine with a tap on her phone. That way, on her next trip, she could start heating up the car as soon as her plane touched down.

But even as he was installing that setup, he had misgivings. A security-minded software engineer for a company he declined to name, Jmaxxz wondered what sort of remote hacking he might have left his girlfriend’s car susceptible to. "In the back of my head I kept thinking, what’s the risk of this system, I’m putting her car on the internet," he remembers. "I told myself, 'ignorance is bliss. I’m not going to look at it. Don’t look at it.'"

He looked at it.
A Remote-Start App Exposed Thousands of Cars to Hackers

Good deeds. Roads. Something like that.

Nothing wrong with any technology, just as long as it's being used in a Godly society.

Just look at North Korea lately. They are a great example of technology in the hands of evil.

If not careful, we could be easily be heading down that road as our society is changing.

Forum List

Back