Fighting For Dad's rights in Custody Cases

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
One impressive Nov.2 vote has been overlooked by the media. By 85% to 15%, a ballot initiative in Massachusettes approved equal legal and physical custody of children whose parents are divorced.

That ballot initiative is nonbinding, but it certainly is indicative of the will of the people and the growing recognition that children are best off under the care of both parents. The initiative came out of grass roots following a massive signature-gathering effort during the summer.

The proposition appeared on the ballot as follows:

Shall the State Representative from this district be instructed to vote in favor of legislation requiring that in all seperation and divorce proceedings involving minor children, the courts shall uphold the fundamental rights of both parents to the shared physical and legal custody of their children and the children's right to maximize their time with each parent, so far as is practical, unless one parent is found unfit or the parents agree otherwise, subject to the requirements of existing chid support and abuse prevention laws?

This initiative was sponsored by a father's rights group whose members believe fathers are systematically discriminated against by family courts, which nearly always award physical custody to the mother even when the father has committed no fault. Family courts typically deny faultless fathers equal parental rights even when state law appears to require equal custody.

more.............

www.townhall.com/columnists/phyllisschlafly/printps20050110.shtml

Bonnie said:
One impressive Nov.2 vote has been overlooked by the media. By 85% to 15%, a ballot initiative in Massachusettes approved equal legal and physical custody of children whose parents are divorced.

That ballot initiative is nonbinding, but it certainly is indicative of the will of the people and the growing recognition that children are best off under the care of both parents. The initiative came out of grass roots following a massive signature-gathering effort during the summer.

Shall the State Representative from this district be instructed to vote in favor of legislation requiring that in all seperation and divorce proceedings involving minor children, the courts shall uphold the fundamental rights of both parents to the shared physical and legal custody of their children and the children's right to maximize their time with each parent, so far as is practical, unless one parent is found unfit or the parents agree otherwise, subject to the requirements of existing chid support and abuse prevention laws?

This initiative was sponsored by a father's rights group whose members believe fathers are systematically discriminated against by family courts, which nearly always award physical custody to the mother even when the father has committed no fault. Family courts typically deny faultless fathers equal parental rights even when state law appears to require equal custody.

more.............

Sounds like it's right out of the Jeffrey Leving playbook:
http://www.divorceheadquarters.com/leving.html

Long ago there were polls asking if 'you'd ever been arrested.' I replied, 'Yes.' Being from Illinois, we were the first treated to his take on 'father's rights.'

It took nearly 4 years to get my divorce, then the problems really began. One weekend my kids came home, my daughter then 11, was really upset. Seems their weekend had consisted of falling asleep in a booth at a bar their father was playing a gig at on Friday night.

The next day, she was trying to talk to her father on a sofa when his girlfriend joined them, in a nightgown 'made of feathers.' My daughter was in the middle of them, while her brothers were fighting each other. The youngest (7) had grabbed a knife. My daughter had to break up the fight.

During the following week, she spoke with the youngest son's psychiatrist, who told me and my lawyer and the children's advocate lawyer, that the father needed parenting classes, he refused. On the Dr. advice visitation was with held the following scheduled time. I was arrested. Ditto the next day. Found guilty, since we couldn't get the time with the judge for the divorce. Two weeks later, visitation was ordered ceased, but that was over $1000 later-which was not subject to adjustment.

In no way am I saying all fathers are like this. Likewise all mothers are not great. In many cases, joint custody is the best for the kids, but not ALWAYS.

Kathianne said:
Sounds like it's right out of the Jeffrey Leving playbook:
http://www.divorceheadquarters.com/leving.html

Long ago there were polls asking if 'you'd ever been arrested.' I replied, 'Yes.' Being from Illinois, we were the first treated to his take on 'father's rights.'

It took nearly 4 years to get my divorce, then the problems really began. One weekend my kids came home, my daughter then 11, was really upset. Seems their weekend had consisted of falling asleep in a booth at a bar their father was playing a gig at on Friday night.

The next day, she was trying to talk to her father on a sofa when his girlfriend joined them, in a nightgown 'made of feathers.' My daughter was in the middle of them, while her brothers were fighting each other. The youngest (7) had grabbed a knife. My daughter had to break up the fight.

During the following week, she spoke with the youngest son's psychiatrist, who told me and my lawyer and the children's advocate lawyer, that the father needed parenting classes, he refused. On the Dr. advice visitation was with held the following scheduled time. I was arrested. Ditto the next day. Found guilty, since we couldn't get the time with the judge for the divorce. Two weeks later, visitation was ordered ceased, but that was over $1000 later-which was not subject to adjustment.

In no way am I saying all fathers are like this. Likewise all mothers are not great. In many cases, joint custody is the best for the kids, but not ALWAYS.

It's a matter of evidence. They examine the livestyles of both parents to see which one would be better for the children, that parent getting most, if not full, custody. However, mothers are the favorite to win that battle, and that's a little unfair. If weighed evenly, mothers would probably win more often than not, but fathers should be given a fair chance.

Hobbit said:
It's a matter of evidence. They examine the livestyles of both parents to see which one would be better for the children, that parent getting most, if not full, custody. However, mothers are the favorite to win that battle, and that's a little unfair. If weighed evenly, mothers would probably win more often than not, but fathers should be given a fair chance.

Fair, yes. Reverse the trend for the sake of pc? No. In the end, I was awarded full custody. It took over 3 years of therapy before the courts resumed unsupervised visitation with the kids' father. It did work out all right, but it can be difficult to get that type of thing expunged from your records.

Jeff Leving has really screwed up Illiniois law and is working at pushing it all over the country.

Bonnie said:

more.............

:clap: :clap: :clap:
About time that this process is overhauled--assuming that all kids are better off with their mother after a divorce is totally bogus and creates issues where fathers are turned into criminals in addition to being denied their rights to be a part of raising their children.

dilloduck said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
About time that this process is overhauled--assuming that all kids are better off with their mother after a divorce is totally bogus and creates issues where fathers are turned into criminals in addition to being denied their rights to be a part of raising their children.

I think this will in some way at least level the playing field so that men get a chance to prove whether they are good parents instead of it being assumed they are not.

Forum List

Back