CDZ Feminism - An American Issue

I ve been reading another thread on the CDZ about feminism and prostitution.

And Ive seen feminism mentioned many times on here over the past year.

I tend to skip those threads because I dont see what the problem is.

Its not a debate we have over here. Women are entitled to equality and there is still a struggle for them to get there.

But feminism itself is not controversial.

So why is it an issue in the States ? Are American women less deserving of equal rights ? Is this a partisan issue between the sexes or between political standpoints, or both ?

There are multiple arguments taking place on feminism and within feminism.

During the 1960s and 1970s the women's movement stemmed from upper middle class white college students. Women of other classes and of color had always worked outside the home. Bunch of doodoo hit the fan after those women tried to export their "feminism" to other countries and to preach it to the lower classes in the States. That rejection is still going on today both in the US and overseas. Further, it creates and adds to the myth that women did not work outside of the home when they clearly did.

There was/is a tiny group of separatists that no one really identified with and as separatists..........they are slowly dying out BUT those on the right try to make it as they are a much larger group than they really are. I have never met anyone that is a separatist. AND of those communes they are by and large for lesbians. The problem with that is that many feminists have fathers, brothers, sons and husbands or a male significant other. So, we aren't trucking with that and don't want to.

The wage gap has been closing for twenty years not because women are getting paid more but because men are being paid less. That division that we keep encountering is to divert from the issue of wage stagnation.

We now have a group of college students that really think they are carrying the torch. Nobody else knows where the heck they are taking that torch but they have it. Those battles were already fought and won and now they make shit up for fun.

There is a huge focus on rape which is good because it happens. And zero focus on false allegations or making it appear as if women are never responsible for their actions and while they may have not really wanted to have sex they decide it's rape afterwards. So, it's rape because you weren't into it or you had pity sex. That right there is a dangerous place to be. Rape is real and does not include pity sex... shocking, I know. The columnist that questioned the "study" for sexual assault on campuses faced an online campaign of harassment that wanted him to lose his job.

Where are you (general) at that this is acceptable?

And the focus on walking down the street and being forced to listen to cat calls and hustlers. Multiple issues in the world and the focus is on hustlers that talk to everyone.

That right there is feminism as a political weapon by creating issues.As well as, support a candidate who will fight for the rights you already have.

The arguments that take place here are the 99 reasons some guy is not getting any or all of societies ills are tied to feminists OR my favorite is trying to get the rest of us to defend the actions of the nitwit club.

Last edited:

Its not a debate we have over here. Women are entitled to equality and there is still a struggle for them to get there.

So why is it an issue in the States ? Are American women less deserving of equal rights ? Is this a partisan issue between the sexes or between political standpoints, or both ?

Feminism was hijacked by partisan lefties. You can see this most clearing in the way that feminists reversed their sexual harassment lynch mob mentality when Bill Clinton was accused of sexual harassment.

Milo often talks about how FEW women in the UK identify as feminists. LIke 7% or so.

That sounds like it might not be "controversial" as it is part of the political power structure, but it is certainly not about equality anymore.

I'm not sure "feminism" is a big issue in the States. You might be mislead if you are basing that on what you read here, which is not how things stand irl.
Ultra feminist scholars and such give women's rights a bad name for being so extreme, but I don't know that most people actually read that shit.

We're not done, that's for sure. Look at the RW reaction to Bill O'Reilly's firing, and the man we elected President. But like I said, we have to remind ourselves that USMB is not a bellwether of American thought.

But it kind of helps expose what people don't feel comfortable in saying out loud in public. The big battles are won, but there's this residue of misogynist thought left. As much as I hate the term micro-aggressions, that's what they are. When a guy at the hardware store talks down to me, refusing to let me even finish telling him what I'm doing, when the mechanic clearly resents my questions about the work, it's probably because I'm a woman. When a strange man tells a woman that she should "smile," would he say that to a guy? I don't complain about those attitudes (why bother?) but I also know that being a woman changes how men, who don't know me, relate to me.

Almost without exception men hold the door for me...across all ranges of age and race. I like that, and never fail to respond with a smile and a thank you. They don't usually do the same for other men. And that's ok - men and women are different in many respects - and that's ok too.

We need the law to be gender neutral, which it is in many ways. As far as individual behavior - is the clerk/service person rude because they hate our color/gender/religion/ideology/age, or is because they are just a jerk - which is not against the law. Spokeswomen for the feminist movement (I object to the word feminism - it should be a movement for equal rights and pay regardless of gender) are far too quick to denigrate those, male or female, who differ with them politically. The rallying cry of 'equal treatment' is situational.

That said, I don't blame feminism for changes in the family makeup. I also agree with those who say it isn't that big of an issue - just to those selling books and writing articles. :)

I'm not sure "feminism" is a big issue in the States. You might be mislead if you are basing that on what you read here, which is not how things stand irl.
Ultra feminist scholars and such give women's rights a bad name for being so extreme, but I don't know that most people actually read that shit.

We're not done, that's for sure. Look at the RW reaction to Bill O'Reilly's firing, and the man we elected President. But like I said, we have to remind ourselves that USMB is not a bellwether of American thought.

But it kind of helps expose what people don't feel comfortable in saying out loud in public. The big battles are won, but there's this residue of misogynist thought left. As much as I hate the term micro-aggressions, that's what they are. When a guy at the hardware store talks down to me, refusing to let me even finish telling him what I'm doing, when the mechanic clearly resents my questions about the work, it's probably because I'm a woman. When a strange man tells a woman that she should "smile," would he say that to a guy? I don't complain about those attitudes (why bother?) but I also know that being a woman changes how men, who don't know me, relate to me.

Almost without exception men hold the door for me...across all ranges of age and race. I like that, and never fail to respond with a smile and a thank you. They don't usually do the same for other men. And that's ok - men and women are different in many respects - and that's ok too.

We need the law to be gender neutral, which it is in many ways. As far as individual behavior - is the clerk/service person rude because they hate our color/gender/religion/ideology/age, or is because they are just a jerk - which is not against the law. Spokeswomen for the feminist movement (I object to the word feminism - it should be a movement for equal rights and pay regardless of gender) are far too quick to denigrate those, male or female, who differ with them politically. The rallying cry of 'equal treatment' is situational.

That said, I don't blame feminism for changes in the family makeup. I also agree with those who say it isn't that big of an issue - just to those selling books and writing articles. :)

This has nothing to do with law. As you said, that should be gender neutral.

I thank people for holding doors for me. I also hold the door for the person after me; it's just good manners.

You're correct that we don't always know someone's motivation when they are rude or talk down to someone. Let's just say that when it happens enough, you start to get a feel for it. Nevertheless, there's not much anyone can do about it.

During the 1960s and 1970s the women's movement stemmed from upper middle class white college students. Women of other classes and of color had always worked outside the home. Bunch of doodoo hit the fan after those women tried to export their "feminism" to other countries and to preach it to the lower classes in the States. That rejection is still going on today both in the US and overseas. Further, it creates and adds to the myth that women did not work outside of the home when they clearly did.

There was/is a tiny group of separatists that no one really identified with and as separatists..........they are slowly dying out BUT those on the right try to make it as they are a much larger group than they really are. I have never met anyone that is a separatist. AND of those communes they are by and large for lesbians. The problem with that is that many feminists have fathers, brothers, sons and husbands or a male significant other. So, we aren't trucking with that and don't want to.

The wage gap has been closing for twenty years not because women are getting paid more but because men are being paid less. That division that we keep encountering is to divert from the issue of wage stagnation.

We now have a group of college students that really think they are carrying the torch. Nobody else knows where the heck they are taking that torch but they have it. Those battles were already fought and won and now they make shit up for fun.

There is a huge focus on rape which is good because it happens. And zero focus on false allegations or making it appear as if women are never responsible for their actions and while they may have not really wanted to have sex they decide it's rape afterwards. So, it's rape because you weren't into it or you had pity sex. That right there is a dangerous place to be. Rape is real and does not include pity sex... shocking, I know. The columnist that questioned the "study" for sexual assault on campuses faced an online campaign of harassment that wanted him to lose his job.

And the focus on walking down the street and being forced to listen to cat calls and hustlers. Multiple issues in the world and the focus is on hustlers that talk to everyone.

That right there is feminism as a political weapon by creating issues.As well as, support a candidate who will fight for the rights you already have.

The arguments that take place here are the 99 reasons some guy is not getting any or all of societies ills are tied to feminists OR my favorite is trying to get the rest of us to defend the actions of the nitwit club.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/04/2...n-companies-forcing-women-to-wear-high-heels/

Where would American feminists be on this issue ? On balance I think its worth a struggle. I understand the argument about not taking the job if you dont want the uniform ,it was a bit more complicated in this instance, but these issues mainly seem to affect women.

I think its wrong.

Government rejects ban on companies forcing women to wear high heels

Where would American feminists be on this issue ? On balance I think its worth a struggle. I understand the argument about not taking the job if you dont want the uniform ,it was a bit more complicated in this instance, but these issues mainly seem to affect women.

I think its wrong.

Heels can be quite bad for a woman's feet, while having no effect on her job performance. Flat-out wrong to mandate them.

I think its wrong.

Heels can be quite bad for a woman's feet, while having no effect on her job performance. Flat-out wrong to mandate them.
Heels look like torture.

I think its wrong.

Heels look like torture.

I'm certainly past wearing them.

I thank people for holding doors for me. I also hold the door for the person after me; it's just good manners.

I agree, it's bad manners to let a door shut in someone's face. Interestingly though, men often reach for and open a door for me, or pause and let me precede them through a door they hold open. I've never had a woman do that - unless my arms were full - and then only sometimes.

It's a sign of respect...and I appreciate it.

I think its wrong.

From 1979 to 1985, I worked for an old dinosaur who insisted on them, as well as no slacks on the ladies. I was young enough that I usually wore heels, anyway, but he and I butted heads hard on the issue of using the title Ms., which he absolutely refused to do. Warred about it for years. No one won. We stopped using titles entirely.

I think its wrong.

From 1979 to 1985, I worked for an old dinosaur who insisted on them, as well as no slacks on the ladies. I was young enough that I usually wore heels, anyway, but he and I butted heads hard on the issue of using the title Ms., which he absolutely refused to do. Warred about it for years. No one won. We stopped using titles entirely.
You were lucky. My Nana was a primary school teacher in Wales before the war. When she married my Taid she had to quit. She wasnt pregnant - the local authority had a policy to not employ a married woman.
Its almost laughable when you read that today but it shows how entrenched primitive views were.

I think its wrong.

And the temp agency changed the dress code afterwards. That struggle appears to have been swiftly won and with getting the government to respond to the petition I would that in the future there is a possibility of major repercussions.

I absolutely think it is wrong to tell someone heels are necessary to work in.

Judges Want Women Lawyers To ‘Stop Showing Off’ Their ‘Distracting’ Cleavage, Legs In Court

Dress codes still happens here. ^^^

And we still have unspoken rules where you wear heels because of the environment.

ou were lucky. My Nana was a primary school teacher in Wales before the war. When she married my Taid she had to quit. She wasnt pregnant - the local authority had a policy to not employ a married woman.
Its almost laughable when you read that today but it shows how entrenched primitive views were.

That happened here:
NWHM Exhibit: A History of Women in Industry

By the 1920s women were working in auto factories because they were hired cheaper then males and it was viewed as women taking jobs from males.
The Degradation of Work Revisited: More of the Same: Men at Work? Masculinity and Mass Production in the 1920s and 1930s

Politicians still try to pull a throwback to marriage and the stay at home wives and it indicates that this is viewed as the solution to the economic crisis of whatever time. We saw that during the 2008 election cycle and a focus on "traditional" roles. We saw "marriage" as a focus during Bush II. What they really mean is: we don't have any answers so if you could just marry up and stay home that would be swell, thanks.

Last edited:
Im reading here that its the change from what you grew up with that upsets you. Do women who "dont know their place" cause you any problems ?
Trying to understand why its an American issue. Working women in the UK are no a contentious issue.

I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, when Feminism was already in full swing. What I had was the good fortune of being born to a traditional family that didnt believe in Feminism.

I was taught from my youth the Proper Roles of Men and women, with the nightly news and daily newspaper as the proof.

Both Men and women who don't know, accept and embrace their proper role are a constant issue. There are some acceptable work roles for women, as much as there are inappropriate ones for Men.

You were lucky. My Nana was a primary school teacher in Wales before the war. When she married my Taid she had to quit. She wasnt pregnant - the local authority had a policy to not employ a married woman.

It's also part of the reason I wasn't married u too 12 days before my 40th birthday. I would not settle for anything less than a Traditional homemaker for a wife. It took me that long to find one.

Feminism was hijacked by partisan lefties. You can see this most clearing in the way that feminists reversed their sexual harassment lynch mob mentality when Bill Clinton was accused of sexual harassment.

That had to do more with the fact that none of his accusers had any credibility...

Again, Feminism has been kind of a victim of its own success. It won the fights it was originally pressing for - equal access to schools, jobs, pay, etc. No one even debates these as principles anymore.

So the only fight it is still really fighting is abortion, and frankly, given the inherent dishonesty of both sides on that fight, it's pretty much like wrestling with the proverbial pig. You both get dirty, but the pig enjoys it.

Again, Feminism has been kind of a victim of its own success. It won the fights it was originally pressing for - equal access to schools, jobs, pay, etc. No one even debates these as principles anymore.

Not everyone has given up on those fights.

This is interesting, British Columbia has decided that women have the right to wear whatever footwear they want:
New law in Canada would ban employers from forcing high heels on women

I think I've heard about this being a problem in the US too, but I don't really think it's a strictly US problem.

Foot binding has been banned in China a long time ago, but it seems some elderly women still had bound feet more recently, possibly because their feet developed that way and there:
Foot binding - Wikipedia

However, I do not think feminism is strictly an American (USA) issue, there are plenty of problems in other countries, for example in India, or South American machismo.

This is interesting, British Columbia has decided that women have the right to wear whatever footwear they want:
New law in Canada would ban employers from forcing high heels on women

I think I've heard about this being a problem in the US too, but I don't really think it's a strictly US problem.

Foot binding has been banned in China a long time ago, but it seems some elderly women still had bound feet more recently, possibly because their feet developed that way and there:
Foot binding - Wikipedia

However, I do not think feminism is strictly an American (USA) issue, there are plenty of problems in other countries, for example in India, or South American machismo.

The written versus unwritten dress codes for women here in the US will always be a topic of discussion.

Feminism continues to be a major issue in the USA more than other western nationscbecause of the more Traditional mindset that far more Americans than Europeans or other westerners. Even more disturbing for Europeans seems to be the number of American WOMEN who embrace Traditional roles and have wanted to since their childhood.

Im reading here that its the change from what you grew up with that upsets you. Do women who "dont know their place" cause you any problems ?
Trying to understand why its an American issue. Working women in the UK are no a contentious issue.

I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, when Feminism was already in full swing. What I had was the good fortune of being born to a traditional family that didnt believe in Feminism.

I was taught from my youth the Proper Roles of Men and women, with the nightly news and daily newspaper as the proof.

Both Men and women who don't know, accept and embrace their proper role are a constant issue. There are some acceptable work roles for women, as much as there are inappropriate ones for Men.
You are projecting your values on to a society that does not agree with you. Why should you decide what is best for women ? Surely it is the individuals right to decide what is "acceptable" and "proper" ?

Forum List

Back