Federal Workers Are Underpaid Compared To Their Private Sector Counterparts

MeBelle60 said:
You neglected the benefits portion, as did your links.
In MANY instances benefits can ADD 50% or more to a public sector 'pay'.

Why in the heck should us lowly tax payers contribute forever, something which we don't receive ourselves?

What wonderful benefits do you imagine Federal workers get? They pay over $2 k per year for health insurance, pay the same Social Security and Medicare and have a 401k type retirement plan

How do you reach 50%. ???

Personal experience.

My response stated MANY. Your $2k per year for HI are pre-tax dollars. SS and Medicare were not/are not part of SALARY, which was what the OP had linked too.
Also, there are many layers of Fed employees. Not each layer has a defined benefit plan.
Just take a look at congressional pay/benefits and see what you find.
MANY are given a nice retirement salary, for few years on the job, at the expense of the taxpayer.

All Federal Employees receive the same benefits package and that includes Congress. No one receives a nice retirement package for a few years on the job. You get one percent of your salary for every year worked starting at age 62 for Congressmen.

A Senator who served two terms would get 12% of $172,000 or $21,000 a year once he reached the age of 62

Last edited:
In semiskilled jobs I beleive that the FEDERAL workers (which includes the military, remember) are handsomely paid in comparison to public sector equivalent posts.

At the upper levels of professional postings I suspect the FED professionals underpaid compared to their public sector equivalents.

Bingo. I think you are on to something here. I know my brother-in-law and his wife both worked for the government their entire lives. They are sitting pretty right now. She retired at 55 and he retired at 59. She had 35 years in, he had 41. He retired from the Army after twenty plus years, then continued to work for the Army as a civilian. She worked in various government agencies, spending the last twelve with the CDC.

It's well known that governement workers recieve great benefits and job security, however they also recieve much less direct pay than most private sector workers.

Of course statistics also include super-high paid government workers, like the Chairmen of the Fed and the President, which really skews the statististics.

It also doesn't take into account the HUGE risks taken by many governement workers - like CIA & FBI agents.

But the real problem isn't that the total compensation of governement workers is too high - it's that the benefits, security and other benefits given to private sector workers ARE WAY TOO LOW!

We should stop asking why government workers are paid too much and start asking why private sector workers are paid too little!

That's gotta be a trick post. Who do federal workers compare themselves to, Steve Jobs? Federal workers perform a useful service. The problem is that they only service each other.

It's well known that governement workers recieve great benefits and job security, however they also recieve much less direct pay than most private sector workers.

Of course statistics also include super-high paid government workers, like the Chairmen of the Fed and the President, which really skews the statististics.

It also doesn't take into account the HUGE risks taken by many governement workers - like CIA & FBI agents.

But the real problem isn't that the total compensation of governement workers is too high - it's that the benefits, security and other benefits given to private sector workers ARE WAY TOO LOW!

We should stop asking why government workers are paid too much and start asking why private sector workers are paid too little!

How much should everyone make?

All Federal Employees receive the same benefits package and that includes Congress. No one receives a nice retirement package for a few years on the job. You get one percent of your salary for every year worked starting at age 62 for Congressmen.

A Senator who served two terms would get 12% of $172,000 or $21,000 a year once he reached the age of 62

no we dont RW......the higher ups in the PO get more shit then what i do.....from what i am told the PMG and his District Managers get FREE health Ins.......OR they pay next to nothing for better coverage than what a little piss ant like i can get.....they also dont have to actually work....get great pay for doing nothing.....thats a great Benefit....

RW-I am not ignoring your statement and WILL respond, as soon as I get back from my Federal meeting.

200908edwardsblog2.jpg

just a question...what's the median? You know, the one where 1/2 make more and 1/2 make less?

It's my guess that the government is very top heavy.

That's gotta be a trick post. Who do federal workers compare themselves to, Steve Jobs? Federal workers perform a useful service. The problem is that they only service each other.

Really? So you think all those government workers making sure the contractors deliver our military equipment are working only for themselves? That FEMA only works for itself? That the military, only works for itself? That the Post Office, only works for itself?

no we dont RW......the higher ups in the PO get more shit then what i do.....from what i am told the PMG and his District Managers get FREE health Ins.......OR they pay next to nothing for better coverage than what a little piss ant like i can get.....they also dont have to actually work....get great pay for doing nothing.....thats a great Benefit....

Post office has always had separate health benefits. They have been Quasigovernment since the 70s

Post office has always had separate health benefits. They have been Quasigovernment since the 70s

im sorry.....you did say ALL FEDERAL EMPLOYEES.....last i checked i was still getting paid by my Uncle Sam....

Probably not, but I'd put my money on the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I wouldn't. The GAO yes, all other government organisations are suspect.

Righties only believe government reports when they support their political agendas. Apparently BLS does not...

Actually I'm a pretty strong lefty, I just think about things first before I push for them to be implemented. How many government fuckups would you like me to post in support of my viewpoint?

What is the "source" of your chart? The OP references the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Washington Post.

first POGO has its own issues. so its dueling sources.

I AM a Federal employee, trust me, we're fat.

You do know thsat the BLS like their Inflation stats do not encompass a great del that heritage and others have factored in, like retiree health coverage, job security, defined pension plans vs. 401K etc…..when you combine salaries, fringe benefits and job security, trust me we do very well, better than I did at my last corporate job, which very much surprised me too.

I recall hearing that the average wage of a publich worker rose about 5% during the recession all the while private sector wages were contracting.

I'll check it out.

Wait...Lakhota started this thread.

Federal employees earn higher average salaries than private-sector workers in more than eight out of 10 occupations, a USA TODAY analysis of federal data finds.
Accountants, nurses, chemists, surveyors, cooks, clerks and janitors are among the wide range of jobs that get paid more on average in the federal government than in the private sector.

Overall, federal workers earned an average salary of $67,691 in 2008 for occupations that exist both in government and the private sector, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. The average pay for the same mix of jobs in the private sector was $60,046 in 2008, the most recent data available.

Federal pay ahead of private industry - USATODAY.com

• “The pay gap between government workers and lower-compensated private employees is growing as public employees enjoy sizable benefit growth even in a distressed economy, federal figures show. Public employees earned benefits worth an average of $13.38 an hour in December 2008, the latest available data, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) says. Private-sector workers got $7.98 an hour.”

• “Overall, total compensation for state and local workers was $39.25 an hour — $11.90 more than in private business. In 2007, the gap in wages and benefits was $11.31.”

• “A full-time government worker receives benefits worth an average of $27,830 per year. A private worker's benefits are worth $16,598.”

BusinessTrends Blog: Public Sector Pay vs. Private Sector Pay

Forum List

Back