FDNY Set To Institute ‘Crash Tax’

Intense

Aug 2, 2009
New Yorkers Stunned At Notion Of Being Billed By Firefighters
December 9, 2010 11:58 PM

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — The cost of driving in New York City is about to get more costly. That is, if you need medical attention after an accident.
In a time of tight budget times, the city is looking for new ways to recoup costs.
And drivers needing help from the FDNY will be the targets.
Getting hurt in a car accident is painful enough, but if firefighters have to respond, expect more pain — in your wallet.
Starting next summer, the city plans to bill drivers in accidents that require an emergency response.
The so-called “crash tax” works like this: A car fire or accident with injury would cost you $490. A car fire without injury, $415. And any vehicle accident without injury will run you $365.
“Definitely a sign of the times and disappointing, both,” said Jack Bashkow of Midtown.
“It’s a new reality for New York. It’s not the social contract,” said Larry Horowitz of the Upper West Side.
Drivers CBS 2’s Sean Hennessey spoke to on Thursday night were none too pleased.
“I think it’s kind of crude. It’s basically inhumane to leave someone sitting there, laying there,” said Lisa Kohn of the Upper West Side.
Hennessey: “That’s not to say they’re not going to treat you, but they’re going to charge you for it.”
Kohn: “Well, the question is can they collect?”
The FDNY says: “We want to relieve pressure on the taxpayer and place it on those at fault and their insurance. Right now if you’re at fault at an accident or a vehicle fire, you get a free ride. And that should not be borne by the taxpayers.”
But under the plan, you’ll get charged even if the accident isn’t your fault.
“Why should I be charged for something that I didn’t cause? Send a bill to the guy who caused it. That has nothing to do with me,” said the Upper West Side’s Ariel Schachter.
Few want this, especially those in their cars all the time.
“That’s not right to send a bill because the accident … nobody do it willingly,” taxi driver Mohammad Khan said.

FDNY Set To Implement Emergency Services 'Crash Tax' CBS New York – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

absolute and complete bullshit. what? the city gonna run everything ala carte now? You already pay taxes for their services. Maybe they can print up a menu..broken arm set, 5k, intubated 10k etc...

I you need a cop , what maybe they can charge you for any paperwork he has to do and his time....gtfoh...

Last edited:
I saw that article earlier today and had thought of posting a thread. I'd say fine......as long as the FDNY no longer gets any tax money, let them charge a per use fee only. They don't get to have their cake and eat it too.

absolute and complete bullshit. what? the city gonna run everything ala carte now? You already pay taxes for their services. Maybe they can print up a menu..broken arm set, 5k, intubated 10k etc...

I you need a cop , what maybe they can charge you for any paperwork he has to do and his time....gtfoh...

Will the cops charge a higher rate for having to go to a bad part of town as opposed to a nicer neighborhood? :lol:

Didn't all the Left get all up in arms because some fire department down south wouldn't put out a fire because the guy had not paid for the service? I wonder how many of them will line up to denounce this.

Didn't all the Left get all up in arms because some fire department down south wouldn't put out a fire because the guy had not paid for the service? I wonder how many of them will line up to denounce this.

We are paying for the Service many times over. It's convoluted reasoning plain as day.

This is proof of a failed government. Your taxes now go to pay for bureaucrats & their pensions leaving you to still pay in full for public service out of your own pockets. Maybe people will wake-up!

This is proof of a failed government. Your taxes now go to pay for bureaucrats & their pensions leaving you to still pay in full for public service out of your own pockets. Maybe people will wake-up!

Unfortunately I thing NYC will burn fist. Union and Government corruption have too strong a hold.

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — The cost of driving in New York City is about to get more costly. That is, if you need medical attention after an accident.
In a time of tight budget times, the city is looking for new ways to recoup costs.
Getting hurt in a car accident is painful enough, but if firefighters have to respond, expect more pain — in your wallet.
Starting next summer, the city plans to bill drivers in accidents that require an emergency response.
The so-called “crash tax” works like this: A car fire or accident with injury would cost you $490. A car fire without injury, $415. And any vehicle accident without injury will run you $365.
“Definitely a sign of the times and disappointing, both,” said Jack Bashkow of Midtown.
“It’s a new reality for New York. It’s not the social contract,” said Larry Horowitz of the Upper West Side.
Drivers CBS 2’s Sean Hennessey spoke to on Thursday night were none too pleased.
“I think it’s kind of crude. It’s basically inhumane to leave someone sitting there, laying there,” said Lisa Kohn of the Upper West Side.
Hennessey: “That’s not to say they’re not going to treat you, but they’re going to charge you for it.”
The FDNY says: “We want to relieve pressure on the taxpayer and place it on those at fault and their insurance. Right now if you’re at fault at an accident or a vehicle fire, you get a free ride. And that should not be borne by the taxpayers.”
“Why should I be charged for something that I didn’t cause? Send a bill to the guy who caused it. That has nothing to do with me,” said the Upper West Side’s Ariel Schachter.
“That’s not right to send a bill because the accident … nobody do it willingly,” taxi driver Mohammad Khan said.

FDNY Set To Implement Emergency Services 'Crash Tax' CBS New York – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

I expect that the taxpayer will have to subsidize the poor and the minorities.

I hate this shit! Forcing people to pay multiple times for things that are already covered in property taxes and whatever other taxes municipalities institute to fund their overly fat services.

This is DESPICABLE!

What's next? Charging tuition for state owned universities?

How is this any different from getting an Ambulance bill in the mail?

Your taxes are already paying for the fire department.

In New York, most Ambulance service is provided by the Fire Department. Billing for Ambulance service is still standard practice. How is this any different?

You might try reading the opening Post. ;) This is a proposed new Fee for resopnding to Accidents. This is not standard in any way.

In New York, most Ambulance service is provided by the Fire Department. Billing for Ambulance service is still standard practice. How is this any different?

You might try reading the opening Post. ;) This is a proposed new Fee for resopnding to Accidents. This is not standard in any way.

I realize that this is not the same thing. But how is it "outrageous"? If an Ambulance can bill you to save your life, why not the people who cut you out of your car?

I would have a problem with this is they demanded money up front, or refused to help people who didn't pay. But I see no problem with sending a bill later.

How is this any different from getting an Ambulance bill in the mail?

Why do you pay taxes in NYC if they make you pay for everything again? Would you pay the AAA if they charged you every time you used a tow truck?

Forum List

Back