Fcc Considering Banning Tv And Radio Stations From Saying 'washington Redskins'

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
FCC Considering Banning TV And Radio Stations From Saying 'Washington Redskins'

A government funded agency known as the FCC is considering banning TV and Radio stations from saying 'Washington Redskins" on air. But how can they without violating the free speech rights those TV and Radio stations? The FCC, from my standpoint, is being used to further a political agenda. If they follow through with this decision, they should be prepared for a slew of lawsuits. Such a decision would blatantly violate the First Amendment.

(Reuters) - The Federal Communications Commission is considering whether to punish broadcasters for using the moniker of the Washington NFL team, the Redskins, a word many consider a slur to Native Americans, the agency's chairman indicated on Tuesday.

The FCC, which enforces broadcast indecency violations, has received a petition from legal activist John Banzhaf III, asking that regulators strip local radio station WWXX-FM of its broadcasting license when it comes up for renewal for using the name "Redskins."

Banzhaf says the word is racist, derogatory, profane and hateful, making its use "akin to broadcasting obscenity."

"We'll be looking at that petition, we will be dealing with that issue on the merits and we'll be responding accordingly," FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler told reporters.

"There are a lot of names and descriptions that were used over time that are inappropriate today. And I think the name that is attributed to the Washington football club is one of those," Wheeler added.

The FCC could formally deem use of the team name to be indecent, and thus impose a de facto ban on it on over-the-air television and radio.

Despite protests, vigorous lobbying and even intervention from President Barack Obama, team owner Daniel Snyder has vowed not to change the name of his National Football League team.

FCC considering move to ban NFL Redskins team name Reuters

My solution is to call them the Washington Foreskins. Washington has millions of dicks...and pricks...no Indians except that dumbass from Massatwoshits...foreskins would be an appropriate nickname.

Well, how can people be outraged over this team's name when there are other sports teams who use similar names? There is the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, and Chicago Blackhawks. Teams with names using other ethnicities include the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Boston Celtics, and the Minnesota Vikings But do you see anyone getting up in arms about those names?

Nope.

Well, how can people be outraged over this team's name when there are other sports teams who use similar names? There is the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, and Chicago Blackhawks. Teams with names using other ethnicities include the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Boston Celtics, and the Minnesota Vikings But do you see anyone getting up in arms about those names?

Nope.
doesn't matter. I dont think it should be banned but i can see how it would be

A government funded agency known as the FCC is considering banning TV and Radio stations from saying 'Washington Redskins" on air. But how can they without violating the free speech rights those TV and Radio stations? The FCC, from my standpoint, is being used to further a political agenda. If they follow through with this decision, they should be prepared for a slew of lawsuits. Such a decision would blatantly violate the First Amendment.

(Reuters) - The Federal Communications Commission is considering whether to punish broadcasters for using the moniker of the Washington NFL team, the Redskins, a word many consider a slur to Native Americans, the agency's chairman indicated on Tuesday.

The FCC, which enforces broadcast indecency violations, has received a petition from legal activist John Banzhaf III, asking that regulators strip local radio station WWXX-FM of its broadcasting license when it comes up for renewal for using the name "Redskins."

Banzhaf says the word is racist, derogatory, profane and hateful, making its use "akin to broadcasting obscenity."

"We'll be looking at that petition, we will be dealing with that issue on the merits and we'll be responding accordingly," FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler told reporters.

"There are a lot of names and descriptions that were used over time that are inappropriate today. And I think the name that is attributed to the Washington football club is one of those," Wheeler added.

The FCC could formally deem use of the team name to be indecent, and thus impose a de facto ban on it on over-the-air television and radio.

Despite protests, vigorous lobbying and even intervention from President Barack Obama, team owner Daniel Snyder has vowed not to change the name of his National Football League team.

liberals are control freak bullies! what in the Hell is wrong with these USMB liberals who dont complain about this kind of shit?

Liberalism is destroying the country with political correctness!

Nope.

It should matter PB. Why are groups targeting just one team when there are many others who use 'offensive' names? Why such outrage? How can you see it being banned? Our government cannot ban someone from using a name they've been using for over five decades, then you have the First Amendment to consider. Political correctness is destroying free speech at breakneck speeds.

The owner should pick up the team and move it to a larger market and then change the name. Give the liberals a victory and assign the blame to them as well.

Here is the full list of "offensive" NFL team names:

Washington Redskins = Offensive to Indians
KC Chiefs = offensive to Indians
New England Patriots = Offensive to liberals
Cleveland Browns = Offensive to "people of color"
Tampa Bay Buccaneers = Offensive to Pirates and buccaneers
Miami Dolphins = offensive to mammals that live in water
Detroit Lions = Offensive to actual lions and the people that love them
Chicago Bears = Offensive to actual Bears and the people that love them
Cincinnati Bengals = Offensive to actual tigers and the people that love them
San Diego Chargers = Offensive to folks that have been struck by lightning
Seattle Seahawks = Offensive to chicken owners
Green Bay Packers = Offensive to fudge packers
Minnesota Vikings = Offensive to Scandinavians
Jacksonville Jaguars= offensive to large cats and the people that love them
Houston Texans = offensive to Texans
Dallas Cowboys = Offensive to Cowboys (and Indians!)
Atlanta Falcons, Arizona Cardinals,Baltimore Ravens, Carolina Panthers,Philadelphia Eagles = Offensive to ornithologists and bird lovers
San Fran 49'ers = Offensive to gold miners and the people that love them
Denver Bronocs and Indianapolis Colts- = Offensive to Wild Horses and the people that love them
Tennessee Titans = Offensive to students of Greek mythology
Buffalo Bills= offensive to people who owe money and can't pay their "bills"
New Orleans Saints= offensive to non-religious people
New York Giants= offensive to tall people and the people that love them
New York Jets = offensive to frequent flyers and the people that love them
Saint Louis Rams= offensive to large animals with horns and the people that love them
Pittsburgh Steelers= offensive to people that prefer aluminum
Oakland Raiders = Offensive to fans of the NFL

Nope.

It should matter PB. Why are groups targeting just one team when there are many others who use 'offensive' names? Why such outrage? How can you see it being banned? Our government cannot ban someone from using a name they've been using for over five decades, then you have the First Amendment to consider. Political correctness is destroying free speech at breakneck speeds.
Cleveland Indians changed their name i believe btw.
Because here is why. Washington would be the real stepping stone for them to go after other teams. I can see it being banned just like the word ****** is typically banned on tv. actually PC isnt destroying freedom of speech. This case is the only real case we have had.

government can ban it, but then the courts should overturn it instantly.

liberals are control freak bullies! what in the Hell is wrong with these USMB liberals who dont complain about this kind of shit?

It's not just liberals. The FCC has long been used by the Christian right to ban things from broadcasting that they deem offensive. Thanks to George W. Bush and Sen. Sam Brownback the FCC can now impose fines ten times higher than the previous maximum.

As far as the First Amendment goes, it could be argued that the FCC has violated those rights for decades.

I forget what poster said this and I feel terrible because it was so hilarious...

He recommended the Redskins change their name to a symbol and call themselves "The Franchise formerly known as the Redskins."

:laugh:

Forum List

Back