Favorite Martial Art...?

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
I studied tae kwo do and aikido for a number of years until circumstances forced me to stop training in the early 90's . I found distinct strengths and weaknesses to both and was beginning to incorporate elements from each art together until I stopped training.

For the last year or so, I've been studying escrima, also known as arnis, a Filipino martial art. I've found it to be far more "street smart" than either TKD or aikido. In incorporates not only elements of native Filipino arts, but also Indonesian Kali, wing chun, and other arts from the Pacific Rim. More recently, Jeet Kun Do has also been added to the mix.

Training starts with weapons, rattan batons and knives, and moving to empty hand, with essentially the same techniques used with each, depending upon range. I got a real appreciation for the applications of the art after a seminar with Kelly Worden, who also a CQB instructor for the Army's 1st Special Forces at Ft. Lewis in Washington state.

Wonderfully practical, I'm a convert.

So, what's your favorite?

I studied tae kwo do and aikido for a number of years until circumstances forced me to stop training in the early 90's . I found distinct strengths and weaknesses to both and was beginning to incorporate elements from each art together until I stopped training.

For the last year or so, I've been studying escrima, also known as arnis, a Filipino martial art. I've found it to be far more "street smart" than either TKD or aikido. In incorporates not only elements of native Filipino arts, but also Indonesian Kali, wing chun, and other arts from the Pacific Rim. More recently, Jeet Kun Do has also been added to the mix.

Training starts with weapons, rattan batons and knives, and moving to empty hand, with essentially the same techniques used with each, depending upon range. I got a real appreciation for the applications of the art after a seminar with Kelly Worden, who also a CQB instructor for the Army's 1st Special Forces at Ft. Lewis in Washington state.

Dunkin Donuts mixed with a bit of MaDonalds.

Seriously, I have travelled much the same route as you have. It's tough getting old, especially when your body decides your brain has bitten off more than it can chew!

Did Tai Kwon Do for along time, did some Karate and Judo and most recently have been looking into the new Army close combat system of training which incorporates a lot of the "street smart" stuff you mentioned.

Did the 'arnis' form of martial arts back in the day...US Army training SF...et al...now in my golden years just rely on S&W model 66...lol

Here is a link to the Army stuff ...pretty good start point but the program is much much more than what you see in this sample video.

https://www.infantry.army.mil/videos/video16/index.htm

Ya...Some good solid stuff there. Draws the best from a lot of systems and systematizes the curriculum to make it easily teachable. The better our guys are at CQB, the better their chances of surviving in the urban combat arena.

Kelly Worden covered some of the same material with a strong emphasis on knife work.

Ya...Some good solid stuff there. Draws the best from a lot of systems and systematizes the curriculum to make it easily teachable. The better our guys are at CQB, the better their chances of surviving in the urban combat arena.

Kelly Worden covered some of the same material with a strong emphasis on knife work.

Yeah, I like it a lot. Later sessions go into everything fro knife work to effective/efficient use of sword. Just about anything that can be used as a weapon. The younger soldiers like it too. Doesn't keep my bones from aching after a good session though...heh.

My son has been studying Tae Kwon Do since he was 5 1/2 when we thought some structure and discipline and self-defense skills would be good for him. He got his black belt at 7 and will be taking his Second Degree test later in the year (he turns 9 in October). I figure he might want to explore other martial arts as he gets older. But for now he loves TKD and we're really pleased with the things he's learned.

My son has been studying Tae Kwon Do since he was 5 1/2 when we thought some structure and discipline and self-defense skills would be good for him. He got his black belt at 7 and will be taking his Second Degree test later in the year (he turns 9 in October). I figure he might want to explore other martial arts as he gets older. But for now he loves TKD and we're really pleased with the things he's learned.

a black belt in Tae Kwon Do is not the same as martial arts...it is a sport...and gives kids a sense of being invincible...not true..they will get hurt if they think the 'Black Belt' designation is real...My GD took this form of martial arts when she was about this age too...and went to brown belt...she said hey G/Pa I am not learning how to defend myself...so I pulled her out and trained her in street smart martial arts as I was trained...well it payed off for her later in life...enough said!

a black belt in Tae Kwon Do is not the same as martial arts...it is a sport...and gives kids a sense of being invincible...not true..they will get hurt if they think the 'Black Belt' designation is real...My GD took this form of martial arts when she was about this age too...and went to brown belt...she said hey G/Pa I am not learning how to defend myself...so I pulled her out and trained her in street smart martial arts as I was trained...well it payed off for her later in life...enough said!

Gotta agree there. All those high kicks look real pretty, but can be pretty ineffectual. They may give one a slight edge but a determined attacker has already slotted you somewhere between the rancid cold cuts and the month old carton of carton of milk in his fridge. Training in multiple martial arts gives one some perspective and the ability to take the good from the styles they practice and combine in the most effective manner for them.

Yeah, I like it a lot. Later sessions go into everything fro knife work to effective/efficient use of sword. Just about anything that can be used as a weapon. The younger soldiers like it too. Doesn't keep my bones from aching after a good session though...heh.

Don't need to tell me 'bout aching bones. :laugh:

Gotta agree there. All those high kicks look real pretty, but can be pretty ineffectual. They may give one a slight edge but a determined attacker has already slotted you somewhere between the rancid cold cuts and the month old carton of carton of milk in his fridge. Training in multiple martial arts gives one some perspective and the ability to take the good from the styles they practice and combine in the most effective manner for them.

We'll make sure he learns self-defense, too. But just so you know, this isn't a "baby black belt"... he had to do the same power break (5 boards) as the adults. Nor does he think he's invincible. He's been better trained than that by both his dojo master and by us. He also knows it can't ever be used aggressively.

I have been (and am) a student of Okinawan Shorin-ryu karate since 1983. I have also boxed leading to kickboxing, and wrestled some.

Every martial art has its strengths and weakness. Though not a great fan of Bruce Lee nor practitioner of jeet kun do, I CAN appreciate where Lee was going. Applying ALL knowledge to form a street practical fighting art.

Gotta agree there. All those high kicks look real pretty, but can be pretty ineffectual.

Unless you can execute them.

They may give one a slight edge but a determined attacker has already slotted you somewhere between the rancid cold cuts and the month old carton of carton of milk in his fridge. Training in multiple martial arts gives one some perspective and the ability to take the good from the styles they practice and combine in the most effective manner for them.

I agree with the multiple martial arts thing; however, let's keep it in perspective. We're talking about a kid. They start with one. Attempting to train in more than one martial art at the same time just creates confusion in the mind.

And training in one martial art is better than hanging on the corner with the dirtbags.

I agree with the multiple martial arts thing; however, let's keep it in perspective. We're talking about a kid. They start with one. Attempting to train in more than one martial art at the same time just creates confusion in the mind.

And training in one martial art is better than hanging on the corner with the dirtbags.

Indeed. Any kid will benefit from a solid foundation in a single art. As they grow and mature, they can branch out and explore other systems. It'd be great if PE programs in this country made martial arts a part of their curricula. And not just to keep them off the corners with the dirt bags.

We'll make sure he learns self-defense, too. But just so you know, this isn't a "baby black belt"... he had to do the same power break (5 boards) as the adults. Nor does he think he's invincible. He's been better trained than that by both his dojo master and by us. He also knows it can't ever be used aggressively.

Good job...Keep him grounded in reality.

Indeed. Any kid will benefit from a solid foundation in a single art. As they grow and mature, they can branch out and explore other systems. It'd be great if PE programs in this country made martial arts a part of their curricula. And not just to keep them off the corners with the dirt bags.

I have to say yes and no to the PE thing. I am a big proponent in promoting the martial arts for self-defense, fitness, and self-confidence. As I assume you are aware however, there ARE those who shouldn't be shown even a basic move for fear of abuse. There are always one or two more than willing to try out their newfound "skill" on someone half their size.

Damn ..... here I thought Bully and I were going to have an intelligent conversation about something we actually agree on.

Guess the strain was more than he could bear.:laugh:

Forum List

Back