Fat healthcare providers

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Alaska
My husband had a hernia operation recently so we've made several visits to doctors lately for presurgery stuff, and then for the surgery itself.

I notice with dismay all the fat healthcare professionals. All of the male doctors we saw were fit and trim, as were the male lab technicians and front desk personnel, but a high percentage of the female nurses, physician's assistants and general office personnel were carrying a few extra pounds. And in some cases a lot of extra pounds.

I posted this in counter to novasteve's thread about doctor's being sick of fatasses.

Has anyone else noticed this? I guess as the general population gets fatter and fatter, so do the people who provide our healthcare.

Kind of hard for them to sit there and counsel us on healthy living when they're fat, though.

And here I am, carrying a few extra pounds and currently in a slow gain mode, and I see all these fat nurses and it sort of makes being a little fat seem acceptable.

They don't make very good role models, that's for sure.

I've noticed a few at my doctors' offices who are overweight. I see this in the hospital also. Just because people work in healthcare doesn't mean they are healthy themselves. Many of them are smokers too.

Well would you rather have a great doctor who's fat or a mediocre doctor who's a vegan?

I hope never to have a mediocre doctor, regardless of his level of personal fitness! :eek:

But interestingly, it wasn't the doctors. My husband saw three different doctors (men) and they were all slim and trim. It was some of the female nurses and physician's assistants that were hefty.

To me it's kind of like a police officer who has a penchant for shoplifting.

Fat healthcare professionals are like crooked cops. Is that a flawed analogy? I don't know, I'm getting tired.

Well would you rather have a great doctor who's fat or a mediocre doctor who's a vegan?

I hope never to have a mediocre doctor, regardless of his level of personal fitness! :eek:

But interestingly, it wasn't the doctors. My husband saw three different doctors (men) and they were all slim and trim. It was some of the female nurses and physician's assistants that were hefty.

Fat healthcare professionals are like crooked cops. Is that a flawed analogy? I don't know, I'm getting tired.

On a somewhat different note, I have one doctor who really bothers me. I know he is a decent doctor, but whenever I meet with him he shakes my hand with the limpest of handshakes. Not sure why it bothers me so much but it does, lol.

And, nutritionists! So many of them are enormously obese and they're advising me?

Remember that doctors do not take an nutrition courses in med school.

I hate wimpy handshakes too.

On a somewhat different note, I have one doctor who really bothers me. I know he is a decent doctor, but whenever I meet with him he shakes my hand with the limpest of handshakes. Not sure why it bothers me so much but it does, lol.

The doctor who actually did the surgery on my husband was an ex-Marine. I think he is still in the reserves. He has done tours in Iraq. He is slim and trim and fit looking. And so in command.

When we'd meet with him a couple of times prior to the surgery he'd always make a point of greeting me, staring right into my eyes and giving me a firm handshake.

I kind of have a crush on him. But don't tell my husband! :eusa_shhh: Not that I'd ever act upon it. :eusa_angel:

Perhaps this is a topic for another thread. :eusa_shifty:

Last edited:
My husband had a hernia operation recently so we've made several visits to doctors lately for presurgery stuff, and then for the surgery itself.

I notice with dismay all the fat healthcare professionals. All of the male doctors we saw were fit and trim, as were the male lab technicians and front desk personnel, but a high percentage of the female nurses, physician's assistants and general office personnel were carrying a few extra pounds. And in some cases a lot of extra pounds.

I posted this in counter to novasteve's thread about doctor's being sick of fatasses.

Has anyone else noticed this? I guess as the general population gets fatter and fatter, so do the people who provide our healthcare.

Kind of hard for them to sit there and counsel us on healthy living when they're fat, though.

And here I am, carrying a few extra pounds and currently in a slow gain mode, and I see all these fat nurses and it sort of makes being a little fat seem acceptable.

They don't make very good role models, that's for sure.

Yes, and the alarming thing is that I see them at the cardiologist's office!

Fair enough. I would never go to a dentist that had less than perfect teeth.

Forum List

Back