Fashion sense vs common sense

The ClayTaurus

Sep 19, 2005

Attachments

• $61159606_bca92affb5_o.jpg
    $61159606_bca92affb5_o.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 63
The ClayTaurus said:
Something a little more recent for everybody...

61159606_bca92affb5_o.jpg

You know Clay,
Your hat is on backwards. . . I know, your favorite Hip Hop "artist" wears it that way but.............
My bet is that one of those guys saw a photographer turn their hat around because the bill gets in the way when you try to look thru the viewfinder. Since they're not overly creative they tend to look for ways they can take clothing from years ago, make them disfunctional and pretend that is style. That is definitely the basis for what they do to their cars. Four wheel drive trucks that are lowered and have spinners with ultra low profile tires. . . good idea.. . cough. Or what that ass did to the Porsche in Denver, hideous.
I was shooting a golf course in California, standing by the 18th green when a father and son walked up. The kid had his hat on backwards and when he got behind his ball to line up the putt the sun was in his eyes. Rather than turn the hat around so that the design would work for him he held his hands up to block the sun so he could see. I had to bite a hole in my lip to keep from laughing out loud, here was a definition of the difference between 2 generations in 1 photograph(the father's hat was worn correctly so he didn't have a problem with the sun) and my camera was in the cart. I guess I could have got him to pose for a shot but it wouldn't have been the same.
Anyway, glad to see you don't have one of those shell neclaces and you haven't f* up that Mazda by putting spinners on it. You look like a decent kid, you should leave the dark side and join us on the more conservative side. You can be way ahead of your peers if you do, everyone knows that when you hit 40 and you have a brain, you become a conservative.
Oh and one other thing, advice from an old guy, get rid of the hat and let the hair grow out while you still can. When you get old and lose it you can always wear a hat to cover the bald spot but while you have it enjoy it. My hair was below my shoulders when I was your age. :cool:

GotZoom said:
I'll give him props because of his 2005 RX8 - (ask me how I know it's a 2005).

He is still young. He has time to come around.

How do you know it's a 2005 Zoom??????

sitarro said:
You know Clay,
Your hat is on backwards. . . I know, your favorite Hip Hop "artist" wears it that way but.............
My bet is that one of those guys saw a photographer turn their hat around because the bill gets in the way when you try to look thru the viewfinder. Since they're not overly creative they tend to look for ways they can take clothing from years ago, make them disfunctional and pretend that is style. That is definitely the basis for what they do to their cars. Four wheel drive trucks that are lowered and have spinners with ultra low profile tires. . . good idea.. . cough. Or what that ass did to the Porsche in Denver, hideous.
I was shooting a golf course in California, standing by the 18th green when a father and son walked up. The kid had his hat on backwards and when he got behind his ball to line up the putt the sun was in his eyes. Rather than turn the hat around so that the design would work for him he held his hands up to block the sun so he could see. I had to bite a hole in my lip to keep from laughing out loud, here was a definition of the difference between 2 generations in 1 photograph(the father's hat was worn correctly so he didn't have a problem with the sun) and my camera was in the cart. I guess I could have got him to pose for a shot but it wouldn't have been the same.
Anyway, glad to see you don't have one of those shell neclaces and you haven't f* up that Mazda by putting spinners on it. You look like a decent kid, you should leave the dark side and join us on the more conservative side. You can be way ahead of your peers if you do, everyone knows that when you hit 40 and you have a brain, you become a conservative.
Oh and one other thing, advice from an old guy, get rid of the hat and let the hair grow out while you still can. When you get old and lose it you can always wear a hat to cover the bald spot but while you have it enjoy it. My hair was below my shoulders when I was your age. :cool:

Backwards hats aren't really a "hip-hop" thing as they are part of this generation's fashion. Just like the Beatles had everyone cutting their hair different. Now if I had a really ostentatious hat with the price-tag still on it, that would be more hip-hop influenced.

I don't do long hair well, it annoys me, just like growing a beard does.

Thanks for the rest of the advice, I suppose. :beer:

So I was trying to look up the origin for why people started wearing baseball hats backwards, and while the only explanation I could find was because catchers wear them that way, I did find about 5 or 6 excerpts where people were really pissed off when they saw someone with a backwards hat on.

I had no idea. Seems kind of silly to me, but I guess as I age I'll find something about the generations after me to hate as well. So goes the cycle of life, no?

The ClayTaurus said:
So I was trying to look up the origin for why people started wearing baseball hats backwards, and while the only explanation I could find was because catchers wear them that way, I did find about 5 or 6 excerpts where people were really pissed off when they saw someone with a backwards hat on.

I had no idea. Seems kind of silly to me, but I guess as I age I'll find something about the generations after me to hate as well. So goes the cycle of life, no?

Your hat wasn't backwards...it was worn fireman's style. :)

Sometimes a hat with a bill to the back just 'looks better'

:D

The ClayTaurus said:
Backwards hats aren't really a "hip-hop" thing as they are part of this generation's fashion. Just like the Beatles had everyone cutting their hair different. Now if I had a really ostentatious hat with the price-tag still on it, that would be more hip-hop influenced.

I don't do long hair well, it annoys me, just like growing a beard does.

Thanks for the rest of the advice, I suppose. :beer:

Before that bowel movement known at the time as rap appeared, nobody but photographers and baseball catchers wore their baseball hat backwards. It was also rare to see a black person driving an SUV. Rap videos changed all that. There were some people that wore their hat sideways but it was usually an ass ridiculing a mentally challenged person. :laugh:

sitarro said:
Before that bowel movement known at the time as rap appeared, nobody but photographers and baseball catchers wore their baseball hat backwards.

I don't believe that for one minute...My brother wore his hat backwards in 1979...

sitarro said:
Before that bowel movement known at the time as rap appeared, nobody but photographers and baseball catchers wore their baseball hat backwards. It was also rare to see a black person driving an SUV. Rap videos changed all that. There were some people that wore their hat sideways but it was usually an ass ridiculing a mentally challenged person. :laugh:

You're so very bitter about this, and I don't really understand why.

The ClayTaurus said:

I guess I already hit that stage.
I can't stand to see someones ass hanging out of their pants and yet...
THEY ARE WEARING A BELT!!! I understand the whole concept, but it
just seems retarded to me.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I guess I already hit that stage.
I can't stand to see someones ass hanging out of their pants and yet...
THEY ARE WEARING A BELT!!! I understand the whole concept, but it
just seems retarded to me.

My pet peeve? Popped collars. Especially on pink polo shirts.

Fashion sense isn't always common sense.
I just don't care about fashion anymore.
I'm your typical black band t-shirt, baggy pants (that fit around my ass),
and black boots kinda guy. That fashion went out years ago.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Fashion sense isn't always common sense.
I just don't care about fashion anymore.
I'm your typical black band t-shirt, baggy pants (that fit around my ass),
and black boots kinda guy. That fashion went out years ago.
Metalhead?

I just thought of something funny.
When I was a kid, I used to wear baseball style hats constantly.
My grandfather would always try and be nice by giving me a hat.
I would never wear them of course, not "in style". They were the
"truck driver" style caps with a simple logo like Alaska or Oklahoma Natural
Gas. You know the type, with the stiff, high front and the mesh in the back.
Turns out that the hats are in style now and I probably threw away
20 of these hats. Not that I would wear one, but I could have ebayed the
hell out of them now.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I just thought of something funny.
When I was a kid, I used to wear baseball style hats constantly.
My grandfather would always try and be nice by giving me a hat.
I would never wear them of course, not "in style". They were the
"truck driver" style caps with a simple logo like Alaska or Oklahoma Natural
Gas. Turns out that the hats are in style now and I probably threw away
20 of these hats. Not that I would wear one, but I could have ebayed the
hell out of them now.

Shit yeah you could have. If any of you used to work at an obscure hardware store, E-bay is waiting to make you some money for you t-shirt.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
The ClayTaurus said:
My pet peeve? Popped collars. Especially on pink polo shirts.

That's funny since you are basically doing the same thing when you wear a billed cap backwards, you're covering the back of your neck.
By the way, when the corporate world decides to change things to work with silly style anarchy hasn't it lost it's cool factor? When hat manufacturers started putting the logo on the back to have it seen when the hat was worn incorrectly I thought for sure that would end a goofy looking fad . . . I was wrong. What is it about hats with the last 2 generations? Wool hats in the summer, hats backwards or sideways, upside down visors. . . it would appear to be what ever looks the dumbest.. . .let's do that! I don't think it has anything to do with generational differences, it has more to do with taste. Rediculously oversized pants worn down around mid thigh doesn't just look ignorant, it doesn't work. That goes back to my original point . . . . lack of creativity with a touch of ignorance, , , a lowered Hummer with 22 inch rims and low profile tires.

Forum List

Back