Zone1 Fascination with the Devil and Hell

Is a building an "image" of anything?

read the entire commandment.

any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under earth

There were no buildings created by the god of the bible were there? Therefore buildings cannot be images of what is in heaven on earth etc

If your god is in heaven above then surely any image of that god created by men is prohibited.

If your god made all the creatures and plants on the earth then surely any images of them ate prohibited

If your god made the water and everything in it then even an image of water itself is prohibited.

How can you justify graven idols of gods and saints in a Christian church that teaches the 10 commandments?
Buildings certainly can be, no?

1697454083618.png

1697454103507.png

1697454144266.png

1697454226604.png

To be an idol one must worship the idol, buildings are not really worshipped.
The commandment says thou shall make no graven images of anything in heaven on earth or in the water

To me that means that any image of any person, animal , plant or landscape is prohibited by the god of the bible.

But Lots of religious people ignore this commandment.

The commandment says thou shall make no graven images of anything in heaven on earth or in the water

To me that means that any image of any person, animal , plant or landscape is prohibited by the god of the bible.

But Lots of religious people ignore this commandment.
Seems kind of overreaching, the Muslims have fewer restrictions with their version.

What are these buildings an IMAGE of?

did these building exist heaven or on earth BEFORE men built them? For them to be an IMAGE of something that means they already existed in heaven or on earth BEFORE god made men.
Did a statue honoring a Saint, Angel or Prophet exist before men built them? By your own words, these statues (or their "image") must have existed in heaven or Earth before God made men....in order for them to be considered an "Image".

Is that your interpretation?

Did a statue honoring a Saint, Angel or Prophet exist before men built them? By your own words, these statues (or their "image") must have existed in heaven or Earth before God made men....in order for them to be considered an "Image".

Is that your interpretation?

But those are images of people that your god created they existed on earth before the images of them were made.

I'm just reading the commandment as your god allegedly wrote it.

Thou shalt not make any graven images unto oneself of anything in heaven on earth or under the waters

Making a statue or even a drawing of a person is breaking this commandment is it not?

Seems kind of overreaching, the Muslims have fewer restrictions with their version.
Deuteronomy 4

Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air, The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth:

But those are images of people that your god created they existed on earth before the images of them were made.

I'm just reading the commandment as your god allegedly wrote it.

Thou shalt not make any graven images unto oneself of anything in heaven on earth or under the waters

Making a statue or even a drawing of a person is breaking this commandment is it not?
IF you worship it.

The commandment must be read in its entirety in order to fully understand it and abide by it.

Exodus 20:

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

This commandment was speaking specifically about "idols" or "dolls" that people of that time period would make and consider "living entities" and/or would consider them to have "power" if prayed and/or instructed to. It also encompasses the broader sense of the phrase - meaning do not worship false idols, etc.

"Do not make for yourself an image" - Meaning don't make either a "physical" or "mental" image of something you could consider to be "divine" (Material objects, money, power, etc - because they are not "divine") and then go on to personally (or internally) worship (adore, follow, revolve your life around) the image you created for yourself.

IF you worship it.

The commandment must be read in its entirety in order to fully understand it and abide by it.

Exodus 20:

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

This commandment was speaking specifically about "idols" or "dolls" that people of that time period would make and consider "living entities" and/or would consider them to have "power" if prayed and/or instructed to. It also encompasses the broader sense of the phrase - meaning do not worship false idols, etc.

"Do not make for yourself an image" - Meaning don't make either a "physical" or "mental" image of something you could consider to be "divine" (Material objects, money, power, etc - because they are not "divine") and then go on to personally (or internally) worship (adore, follow, revolve your life around) the image you created for yourself.

I disagree.

Thou shalt not make

or as explained in Deuteronomy

Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air, The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth:

The very making of these graven images is forbidden whether you worship them or not because the mere making of them will corrupt you and in that corruption you might worship them.

Forum List

Back