Zone1 Does God Condemn Sorcery and Witchcraft Today?

CarlinAnnArbor

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2016
I find it amazing that many who will correctly tell you that the PRACTICE of homosexuality, crossdressers (trans) and those who mutilate their own bodies will not find eternal life, some of these people believe sorcery and witchcraft is permitted among those who call themselves "children of God."

They look to other MEN and not the Word of God to JUSTIFY what's in their own deceived hearts.

In the Acts of the Apostles, when they went into Ephesus (a city well known to practice witchcraft) the people heard the apostles and gathered in town and BURNED their books.

God laments, "Oh that there were such a heart in them that they would fear Me, and keep My commandments

As used in the Bible, “sorcery” is a broad term that would include hallucinogenic and poisonous drugs—even abortifacients—witchcraft, voodoo, palm reading, tarot cards, Oija boards, astrology, fortune telling, horoscopes, séances, and the like. God has forever frowned on sorcery. Deuteronomy 18:10-12 specifically forbade anyone from practicing divination, telling fortunes, interpreting omens, and from being a sorcerer, charmer, medium, wizard or necromancer. In the New Testament, Ephesus was a city where witchcraft was prominent. When the gospel began to make inroads in people’s hearts, many former witches brought their magic books and burned them in what must have been a huge bonfire (Acts 19:18-19). Getting rid of what God condemned was the natural response of a people newly impressed with gospel truth. Contrary to popular thought, there is no such thing as a good witch (at least, not in the Bible). There is no distinction between magic that is white or black. All sorcery is portrayed as evil. Witchcraft trusts in a power other than God. Since it is opposed to Christianity, its true origin is with Satan (cf. John 8:44). Ultimately, to be involved with sorcery is to shake hands with the devil. According to the Bible, Christians are in a war against “world-rulers of this darkness,” and “the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12). Some things are not to be toyed with, and witchcraft is surely among them. In fact, in the Bible’s closing verses, as though we needed one last reminder, God said it again—that those who will be left outside of heaven’s gate will include, along with murderers, liars and idol worshipers, the sorcerers (Revelation 22:15).

Hate to say it, but if Jesus had shown up in Salem MA during the witch trials, He would have been burned at the stake for sorcery. I mean, turning water into wine? Healing the sick? And the big one....................raising the dead?

Hate to say it, but if Jesus had shown up in Salem MA during the witch trials, He would have been burned at the stake for sorcery. I mean, turning water into wine? Healing the sick? And the big one....................raising the dead?
The puritans would have certainly tried.

They, of course, were wrong.

I find it amazing that many who will correctly tell you that the PRACTICE of homosexuality, crossdressers (trans) and those who mutilate their own bodies will not find eternal life, some of these people believe sorcery and witchcraft is permitted among those who call themselves "children of God."

They look to other MEN and not the Word of God to JUSTIFY what's in their own deceived hearts.

In the Acts of the Apostles, when they went into Ephesus (a city well known to practice witchcraft) the people heard the apostles and gathered in town and BURNED their books.

God laments, "Oh that there were such a heart in them that they would fear Me, and keep My commandments

As used in the Bible, “sorcery” is a broad term that would include hallucinogenic and poisonous drugs—even abortifacients—witchcraft, voodoo, palm reading, tarot cards, Oija boards, astrology, fortune telling, horoscopes, séances, and the like. God has forever frowned on sorcery. Deuteronomy 18:10-12 specifically forbade anyone from practicing divination, telling fortunes, interpreting omens, and from being a sorcerer, charmer, medium, wizard or necromancer. In the New Testament, Ephesus was a city where witchcraft was prominent. When the gospel began to make inroads in people’s hearts, many former witches brought their magic books and burned them in what must have been a huge bonfire (Acts 19:18-19). Getting rid of what God condemned was the natural response of a people newly impressed with gospel truth. Contrary to popular thought, there is no such thing as a good witch (at least, not in the Bible). There is no distinction between magic that is white or black. All sorcery is portrayed as evil. Witchcraft trusts in a power other than God. Since it is opposed to Christianity, its true origin is with Satan (cf. John 8:44). Ultimately, to be involved with sorcery is to shake hands with the devil. According to the Bible, Christians are in a war against “world-rulers of this darkness,” and “the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12). Some things are not to be toyed with, and witchcraft is surely among them. In fact, in the Bible’s closing verses, as though we needed one last reminder, God said it again—that those who will be left outside of heaven’s gate will include, along with murderers, liars and idol worshipers, the sorcerers (Revelation 22:15).

Thanks for starting this thread since the other one got derailed then closed.

Yes, of course witchcraft and sorcery are still in direct opposition to God and are condemned throughout the bible, not just in the OT but in the NT as well.

I would say that the overwhelming majority of Christians know that full well. But I think the problem is that many things appear harmless on the surface, but they actually aren't when you learn more about it. And that makes perfect sense to anyone who understands how the enemy operates. I mean, the bible clearly says that satan disguises himself as an angel of light. The enemy uses deception, that's the M.O. Think about it...from a spiritual standpoint, what would be more of a trap for people... something that appears harmless and appealing, or something that right off the bat is obviously demonic?

That's why discernment is important and also knowing the root of certain things. When you go to the root, it's easier to see if it's something good or something that appears harmless and good on the surface but is actually something to stay away from.

OP was probably referring to, or at least including, today's so-called Christians partaking in and/or promoting Halloween.

It's directly tied to Satan.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread since the other one got derailed then closed.

Yes, of course witchcraft and sorcery are still in direct opposition to God and are condemned throughout the bible, not just in the OT but in the NT as well.

I would say that the overwhelming majority of Christians know that full well. But I think the problem is that many things appear harmless on the surface, but they actually aren't when you learn more about it. And that makes perfect sense to anyone who understands how the enemy operates. I mean, the bible clearly says that satan disguises himself as an angel of light. The enemy uses deception, that's the M.O. Think about it...from a spiritual standpoint, what would be more of a trap for people... something that appears harmless and appealing, or something that right off the bat is obviously demonic?

That's why discernment is important and also knowing the root of certain things. When you go to the root, it's easier to see if it's something good or something that appears harmless and good on the surface but is actually something to stay away from.
Some are drawn to the obviously demonic, but mostly the devil doesn't use that tactic. More often he uses "harmless" fun. Things that seem innocent on the surface.

During my teens I WAS involved in the occult. The more deeply I involved myself, the more of a trap it became. I've SEEN/experienced things. Angels and demons are real. FEAR (what I saw) caused me to do a 180 turn. It was then that I realized I needed the power of Jesus' Name to extract myself from the occult. It was personal to me then, and it still is today

Last edited:
Yes. That's why it's required that a CHRISTIAN go to the Source Book for understanding and not what other people on some messageboard believe (including me).

God spoke highly of the Bereans saying, "now I he Bereans we're MORE NOBLE than the rest because they SEARCHED THE SCRIPTURES DAILY to see whether or not those things were true (Paul's preaching)

Yanno.....................the only difference between "miracles" and "magic" is who does it (are they spiritually respected or not), and, is there any harm in doing it?

Go a bit further, and magic and technology are kinda the same thing. If you flicked a Bic back in the 1700's, you'd be killed for practicing magic. Same if you took a picture or showed a video on your cell phone today. Or.............heaven forbid............you had a camera drone you used to take videos with!

Some are drawn to the he obviously demonic, but mostly the devil doesn't use that tactic. More often he uses "harmless" fun. Things that seem innocent on the surface.

During my teens I WAS involved in the occult. The more deeply I involved myself, the more of a trap it became. I've SEEN/experienced things. Angels and demons are real. FEAR (what I saw) caused me to do a 180 turn. It was then that I realized I needed the power of Jesus' Name to extract myself from the occult. It was personal to me then, and it still is today

I absolutely agree! In my pre-Christian days I did all the stuff people do that open doors spiritually speaking, but of course at that time I had no idea I was doing that. And I too have seen and experienced a lot of stuff that causes me to not just believe, but KNOW that the spiritual realm (angels and demons) is real.

I've seen and experienced some things that I don't even share with most people, because most people probably wouldn't believe it.

There are lots and lots of ex-New Agers, and others who used to be into the Occult who got saved and became born again Christians… and their testimonies are on YouTube and anyone can hear them talk about these topics. Not from a naïve standpoint of ignorance like some.... but from the standpoint of someone who has actually been on both sides and knows and understands what this type of stuff is all about.

Sorcerers and witches are fairytales.

Hate to say it, but you're an ignorant fool spewing bigotry with absolutely no historical knowlede.

NO ONE was ever burned at the stake in Salem.

What happened there is a travesty - more akin to "Lord of the Flies" than your bigoted interpretation.

who's kidding who, sympathizer ...

1665535923383.png

christians have persecuted and victimized the innocent in all ways and means imaginable - it's written for them in their dreadful c-bible.

Yanno.....................the only difference between "miracles" and "magic" is who does it (are they spiritually respected or not), and, is there any harm in doing it?

Go a bit further, and magic and technology are kinda the same thing. If you flicked a Bic back in the 1700's, you'd be killed for practicing magic. Same if you took a picture or showed a video on your cell phone today. Or.............heaven forbid............you had a camera drone you used to take videos with!

That's a different topic, though. We're specifically talking about whether involvement in the occult is condemned still today by God, from a Christian perspective.

What you are arguing kinda boils down to the same ol' atheism vs theism debate which while a good debate, is not the topic here.

That's a different topic, though. We're specifically talking about whether involvement in the occult is condemned still today by God, from a Christian perspective.

What you are arguing kinda boils down to the same ol' atheism vs theism debate which while a good debate, is not the topic here.

That's a good question, especially when you consider that God is part of the spirit world (and by some definitions "occult"), as well as the fact that Jesus is the son of a spirit and practiced miracles (magic) regularly.

Matter of fact, there are some stories where Jesus taught some of His followers how to perform miracles and they were able to do so.

So...........based on that.............I'd say not really.

Then, when you consider how far He's (God) allowed the human race to progress, doing many things that would have been considered miracles or magic just 200 years ago, I'd say He's okay with it, as long as you follow His Big 10.

Hate to say it, but you're an ignorant fool spewing bigotry with absolutely no historical knowlede.

NO ONE was ever burned at the stake in Salem.

What happened there is a travesty - more akin to "Lord of the Flies" than your bigoted interpretation.
how about
  • Bridget Bishop.
  • Sarah Good.
  • Rebecca Nurse (née Towne; July 19, 1692)
  • Elizabeth Howe.
  • Susannah Martin.
  • Sarah Wildes.
  • Rev. George Burroughs (August 19, 1692)
  • George Jacobs Sr. ( August 19, 1692)

Speaking of an ex-New Ager....this is a very interesting discussion, in this video.

It's long but there's so much good info in this and it's worth watching for anyone interested in this topic.

The Greek word for Sorcery in the Bible is "Pharmakeia" see BibleHub's definition: Pharmakeia

the word not only includes magic, sorcery and enchantment but also infers the use of medicine, drugs, and spells.

Some have related the latter day use of Sorcery with all the drug pedaling and addictions. Others have related it recently to the Pharmaceutical Industry and their pushing of the Covid Vaccine. Apparently when they started pushing the Covid 19 Vax they didn't even have any evidence that it was effective for curbing the Covid 19 virus.

Pfizer bomb goes off in European Parliament . . .

Last edited:

Forum List

Back