Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers

People always act like if we got rid of illegals we would starve.
What about a work requirement for welfare for the able bodied? If they dont respect themselves enough to feed their own mouth, why should we?

not so good------the definition of "able bodied" is too vague. I have some experience in dealing
with that issue-------some work for welfare programs put arthritic old ladies out in the streets
struggling with garbage in cold weather-------controlled by WICKED WITCH SOCIAL WORKERS
i wouldnt think arthritic would necessarily be able bodied when you are talking about seniors.
I was referring to 25 year old mom and dads and the like. But i get what you are saying.

That's awful!
After we boot the illegal aliens, maybe we can start a temporary farm worker program?
Work, earn, return home.
Maybe? What happens until then? How will it be different than now? The number of Mexicans coming here have been declining every year. The same question can be asked of every Republican on every GOP policy: Are you sure you've thought this through?
---------------------------- SURE , i thought it all through , if you want cherries start paying what cherries are worth and feck all 3 of you meaning , feck the farmers , feck the mex pickers and YOU Dean !! ----------- no offence meant Dean !!

I like the idea of inexpensive food in a FREE SOCIETY------I support innovative programs to keep
the price of basic foods down

That's awful!
After we boot the illegal aliens, maybe we can start a temporary farm worker program?
Work, earn, return home.
Maybe? What happens until then? How will it be different than now? The number of Mexicans coming here have been declining every year. The same question can be asked of every Republican on every GOP policy: Are you sure you've thought this through?

Maybe? What happens until then?

Farmers who depend on illegals aliens will suffer.

The number of Mexicans coming here have been declining every year.

Do you base that on Obama stats? LOL!

Are you sure you've thought this through?

Enforcing the law? Yes. It will be a nice change.
Well, I tried.

Your push for illegal aliens failed.

That's awful!
Work, earn, return home.
A good idea, but that will take a couple years to enact, well past the 2018 elections. When November 2018 comes around and if Americans see produce prices shoot up 200-300%, it may not be good for the incumbents.

Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers United Press International

'We're too late -- it's done for us,' Jerry Adrian, 63, a cherry grower in Benton City, Wash., said Wednesday. Forty tons of his crop will rot on the trees for a loss of $40,000, he said.

Ed Kane, a cherry and apple grower in Wenatchee, Wash., said, 'I'm really damn well scared.'

Farm officials in the Northwest said a shortage of more than 16,000 workers will threaten strawberry and cherry crops in the next two weeks, and may damage the fall apple harvest.

California Farmers Backed Trump, but Now Fear Losing Field Workers

As for his promises about cracking down on illegal immigrants, many assumed Mr. Trump’s pledges were mostly just talk. But two weeks into his administration, Mr. Trump has signed executive orders that have upended the country’s immigration laws.

With 6.5 million people living in the valley, the fields in this state bring in $35 billion a year and provide more of the nation’s food than any other state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...ker-shortage-farmers-push-back-on-immigration

As 18 Guatemalans in hoodies and rubber boots toiled in such conditions recently in Oregon's Willamette Valley, their boss expressed admiration for their willingness to do the back-breaking work he said native-born Americans won't do.

"Homeless people are camped in the fir forest over there," the farmer said, pointing to a stand of trees. "And they're not looking for work."

"I don't trust that temps off the street, or jailhouse labor, or whatever alternative they come up with would work," she said.
----------
Republicans are dreaming if they think guys like this:

Will replace guys like that.

04centralvalley4-superJumbo.jpg

The problem with Republicans is they believe "If we do this, that will happen". Only it NEVER happens the way they plan. Never. Why? Because they don't believe in study and data and understanding.

Look at Iraq and the "freedom agenda".
Look at the deficit creating Bush Tax cuts.
Look at their nonsensical approach to coal.

Why fear-monger? Isn't this a good example of shutting up and letting the cards fall where they may by keeping an eye on the prize in November 2018?

People always act like if we got rid of illegals we would starve.
What about a work requirement for welfare for the able bodied? If they dont respect themselves enough to feed their own mouth, why should we?
It's a logistical problem; transporting, housing, feeding and training thousands of "workers" from inner city ghettos to the bread basket of America costs a lot of money.

Still, as mentioned above, I'm content to let the cards fall where they may. Americans won't act/react until they have to do so. Seeing produce prices shoot through the roof will cause many to rethink "immigration reform"....which we desperately need to do.

cherries aren't basic foods as far as i know . Ieat a pound of them a year and right about this time beginning a few weeks ago . ANYWAY , --- --- feck the farmers , feck the mex . We go to outer space and ocean depths without mexicans , we can sure as heck pick cherries without 'mex' .

cherries aren't basic foods as far as i know . Ieat a pound of them a year and right about this time beginning a few weeks ago . ANYWAY , --- --- feck the farmers , feck the mex . We go to outer space and ocean depths without mexicans , we can sure as heck pick cherries without 'mex' .

I love cherries, but they won't be the only produce affected.

Let's see what happens by November 2018. It should be fun!

That's awful!
Work, earn, return home.

or we can send a few busses to the inner cities and offer work to the unemployed there.

Yep. Want your welfare check? Pick cherries. Earn your keep.....
It'll be easier for them to sell drugs or boost your hubcaps than to travel from a Chicago or New York ghetto to Florida or California to pick oranges or lettuce.

That's awful!
Work, earn, return home.

or we can send a few busses to the inner cities and offer work to the unemployed there.

It'll be easier for them to sell drugs or boost your hubcaps than to travel from a Chicago or New York ghetto to Florida or California to pick oranges or lettuce.

Well then we ship them AFTER we catch them boosting hubcaps or selling drugs.

Make it a choice 5 years prison vs. 1 year working as a field hand.

That's awful!
Work, earn, return home.

I steal gas caps myself..

That's awful!
Work, earn, return home.

Well then we ship them AFTER we catch them boosting hubcaps or selling drugs.

Make it a choice 5 years prison vs. 1 year working as a field hand.
One state shipping their drug offenders to another state?

Besides, there's still the logistical cost of transportation, food and shelter not to mention guards. The cost would easily match the current average price of a prisoner: about $30K/year.

That's awful!
Work, earn, return home.

I'd eat them all as I picked..
Did you rub the ones you didn't eat on your butt before throwing them in bucket?

That's awful!
Work, earn, return home.

I'd eat them all as I picked..
Did you rub the ones you didn't eat on your butt before throwing them in bucket?
oui..

Forum List

Back