Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers

Yep. Want your welfare check? Pick cherries. Earn your keep.....
It'll be easier for them to sell drugs or boost your hubcaps than to travel from a Chicago or New York ghetto to Florida or California to pick oranges or lettuce.

Well then we ship them AFTER we catch them boosting hubcaps or selling drugs.

Make it a choice 5 years prison vs. 1 year working as a field hand.
One state shipping their drug offenders to another state?

Besides, there's still the logistical cost of transportation, food and shelter not to mention guards. The cost would easily match the current average price of a prisoner: about $30K/year.

I'm sure all states have hand picked crops that can benefit.
1) Since those "hand picked crops" are rarely downtown, there's still the logistical issues to contend with.

2) There's a reason why the cities/states with the largest number of welfare recipients aren't often the ones closest to the bread basket.

It's still worth trying compared to the status quo.

We have beautiful cherry trees and have never gotten to eat a cherry. As soon as they start to show a little red our yard turns into a Hitchcock movie. The trees are just laden with birds, quietly sitting there, waiting.
Walk out the door the next day and not a cherry on the trees. Bastage birds...

Why ship? California can "employ" their welfare recipients. Florida can get theirs working...
And consider prisons an untapped work force.
With all of the immigrants that we have let waltz into our country and live off of our dole under the Obama administration, there should be an ample work force.
We'll see a year from next November, eh? :)

Yes, liberals should base their electoral hopes on produce prices.

That's awful!
After we boot the illegal aliens, maybe we can start a temporary farm worker program?
Work, earn, return home.
Well duh, there already is one, they call them migrant workers...

Yes, we currently call illegal aliens migrant workers.
Are you saying that all migrant workers are illegal?

I'm happy that some foreign workers return home when their assignment is finished.

People always act like if we got rid of illegals we would starve.
What about a work requirement for welfare for the able bodied? If they dont respect themselves enough to feed their own mouth, why should we?

not so good------the definition of "able bodied" is too vague. I have some experience in dealing
with that issue-------some work for welfare programs put arthritic old ladies out in the streets
struggling with garbage in cold weather-------controlled by WICKED WITCH SOCIAL WORKERS
i wouldnt think arthritic would necessarily be able bodied when you are talking about seniors.
I was referring to 25 year old mom and dads and the like. But i get what you are saying.

I can assure you------a 60 year old woman with osteoarthritis-----is not eligible for SSD unless it is
CRIPPLING--------and her usual work is very arduous. There are lots of factors in the determination
of "disability" -------the government tends to require a hard core-----"very disabled". Government programs
tend to be ------NOT FLEXIBLE-------people just get thrown into SLOTS

We have beautiful cherry trees and have never gotten to eat a cherry. As soon as they start to show a little red our yard turns into a Hitchcock movie. The trees are just laden with birds, quietly sitting there, waiting.
Walk out the door the next day and not a cherry on the trees. Bastage birds...

have you tried any of the TRIED AND TRUE? did the wizard of Oz scare crow------discourage you?------
Are you so HOSPITABLE that you do not want to toss some netting over dem trees?-----anyway----good
of you to feed the birds-------keep those trees CHIRPING. Birds are your friends-----

Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers United Press International

'We're too late -- it's done for us,' Jerry Adrian, 63, a cherry grower in Benton City, Wash., said Wednesday. Forty tons of his crop will rot on the trees for a loss of $40,000, he said.

Ed Kane, a cherry and apple grower in Wenatchee, Wash., said, 'I'm really damn well scared.'

Farm officials in the Northwest said a shortage of more than 16,000 workers will threaten strawberry and cherry crops in the next two weeks, and may damage the fall apple harvest.

California Farmers Backed Trump, but Now Fear Losing Field Workers

As for his promises about cracking down on illegal immigrants, many assumed Mr. Trump’s pledges were mostly just talk. But two weeks into his administration, Mr. Trump has signed executive orders that have upended the country’s immigration laws.

With 6.5 million people living in the valley, the fields in this state bring in $35 billion a year and provide more of the nation’s food than any other state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...ker-shortage-farmers-push-back-on-immigration

As 18 Guatemalans in hoodies and rubber boots toiled in such conditions recently in Oregon's Willamette Valley, their boss expressed admiration for their willingness to do the back-breaking work he said native-born Americans won't do.

"Homeless people are camped in the fir forest over there," the farmer said, pointing to a stand of trees. "And they're not looking for work."

"I don't trust that temps off the street, or jailhouse labor, or whatever alternative they come up with would work," she said.
----------
Republicans are dreaming if they think guys like this:

Will replace guys like that.

04centralvalley4-superJumbo.jpg

The problem with Republicans is they believe "If we do this, that will happen". Only it NEVER happens the way they plan. Never. Why? Because they don't believe in study and data and understanding.

Look at Iraq and the "freedom agenda".
Look at the deficit creating Bush Tax cuts.
Look at their nonsensical approach to coal.

There's a simple solution to the farm labor shortage, cut off all the food stamps and welfare and see how quickly folks will be lining up to catch the bus out to the farm.

Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers United Press International

'We're too late -- it's done for us,' Jerry Adrian, 63, a cherry grower in Benton City, Wash., said Wednesday. Forty tons of his crop will rot on the trees for a loss of $40,000, he said.

Ed Kane, a cherry and apple grower in Wenatchee, Wash., said, 'I'm really damn well scared.'

Farm officials in the Northwest said a shortage of more than 16,000 workers will threaten strawberry and cherry crops in the next two weeks, and may damage the fall apple harvest.

As for his promises about cracking down on illegal immigrants, many assumed Mr. Trump’s pledges were mostly just talk. But two weeks into his administration, Mr. Trump has signed executive orders that have upended the country’s immigration laws.

With 6.5 million people living in the valley, the fields in this state bring in $35 billion a year and provide more of the nation’s food than any other state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...ker-shortage-farmers-push-back-on-immigration

As 18 Guatemalans in hoodies and rubber boots toiled in such conditions recently in Oregon's Willamette Valley, their boss expressed admiration for their willingness to do the back-breaking work he said native-born Americans won't do.

"Homeless people are camped in the fir forest over there," the farmer said, pointing to a stand of trees. "And they're not looking for work."

"I don't trust that temps off the street, or jailhouse labor, or whatever alternative they come up with would work," she said.
----------

The problem with Republicans is they believe "If we do this, that will happen". Only it NEVER happens the way they plan. Never. Why? Because they don't believe in study and data and understanding.

Not really feeling sorry for the major farmers here. They supposedly knew what ran their businesses and they supported trump......too bad.

Good point! Don't the libs accuse conservative businessmen of taking advantage of the cheap labor, and then prescribe jailing those who hire illegal aliens for cheap? Why weren't these criminal invaders vetted before making them into a indispensable workforce?

That's awful!
After we boot the illegal aliens, maybe we can start a temporary farm worker program?
Work, earn, return home.

or we can send a few busses to the inner cities and offer work to the unemployed there.
Or, you could actually read what I posted:

They are saying those Americans aren't trustworthy. That they don't work hard.

Instead of implementing a policy and then trying to figure out what to do next, why not figure out the issues first and let facts determine the policy? Novel idea?

Well maybe if we removed the safety net from the ones who don't want to work it would motivate them a bit.

It just prove the whole "subsidizing doing nothing" argument non-progressives have been making for decades.
You really think you are going to make these people work:

J6dSLEqH6Ok_sQPrayi5fIlik-ZOGThLpp29iZzbEj8GLSOyJiLVaJApr8t10HQ8VfZFHQIUokIqPOx4G3YDK0jPEmCXXINdV1YZhpNV_8ivszWWu2JjXsBYcg

4648244+_4af60382fc5d6d29ee0573d60a4baf88.jpg

3f3e2f0d55c3bc97b33257c7b8887062--funny-fat-people-funny-people-pictures.jpg

0a3616f16987109b6dbbf837f2764208.jpg

1332-Man_forced_to_eat_beard.jpg

Your delusions are f*cking hilarious.

I was more thinking gangbangers from chicago.
Fewer gangbangers in Chicago than unemployed Trump voters throughout Appalachia.

----------

Not really feeling sorry for the major farmers here. They supposedly knew what ran their businesses and they supported trump......too bad.

Good point! Don't the libs accuse conservative businessmen of taking advantage of the cheap labor, and then prescribe jailing those who hire illegal aliens for cheap? Why weren't these criminal invaders vetted before making them into a indispensable workforce?

Those farmers are conservative businessmen.

----------

Feel sorry when food prices skyrocket.

Are you admitting that living wages would cause prices to skyrocket and you'd rather import cheap labor than pay higher prices?

It's Republicans who want to abolish the minimum wage. They are the cheapest SOB's in history. Surely that's something we can both agree on. They elected a president who used illegal workers and refused to pay even them.

Then maybe these farmers need to get out and talk to their Governors about getting the chain gangs together again.
Good idea. FORCED labor. Perhaps we can bring back slavery. I want to buy a Redneck, but they are so damn lazy and they smell bad. I want one just for show.

Forum List

Back