Family Told Obama NOT To Wear Soldier Son's Bracelet... Where is Media?

Discussion in 'Congress' started by The Paperboy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. The Paperboy

The Paperboy Times Square

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    According to Newsbusters:

Barack Obama played the "me too" game during the Friday debates on September 26 after Senator John McCain mentioned that he was wearing a bracelet with the name of Cpl. Matthew Stanley, a resident of New Hampshire and a soldier that lost his life in Iraq in 2006. Obama said that he too had a bracelet. After fumbling and straining to remember the name, he revealed that his had the name of Sergeant Ryan David Jopek of Merrill, Wisconsin.

Shockingly, however, Madison resident Brian Jopek, the father of Ryan Jopek, the young soldier who tragically lost his life to a roadside bomb in 2006, recently said on a Wisconsin Public Radio show that his family had asked Barack Obama to stop wearing the bracelet with his son's name on it. Yet Obama continues to do so despite the wishes of the family.

Full story here

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    got a link to that radio interview? I'd be curious to hear why they asked him to stop wearing the bracelet.

3. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Radio interview aside, until it's found.. You don't find it even a little bit tacky that Obama cut McCain off with a "Well, I have a bracelet, too", and then stuttered and stumbled trying to recall the name on it? Not exactly one of his brighter moments.

4. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,729
    you could tell he had not had it long, he had to look down and twirl it on his wrist so he could read the name. tsk tsk tsk

5. The Paperboy

The Paperboy Times Square

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    You can download the radio interview at Newsbusters.

6. HoleInTheVoid

HoleInTheVoid Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89
    @#$%ing pandeing POS

The military is supposed to take orders from someone who uses them as a campaign prop?

7. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    That's disgusting. The link to the radio interview was very enlightening. I agree with the following from the original link:

"This all makes Obama look pretty calculating and blood chillingly callous, doesn't it?"

8. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    well that's why I'd want to hear the interview quite honestly. McCain and his surrogates have lied so many times that I don't believe it when they say water is wet until I touch it myself.

IF in fact they asked Obama to stop wearing the bracelet and he continued to do so, hell yes that's tacky. It's even more tacky that he'd bring it up in the debate....

I need to hear the father of this soldier say it before I believe it...

9. Isolde

Isolde Knucklehead

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Obama is not a leader.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    :lol: so let me see if I understand this...

they didn't ask him to stop wearing it because they don't support Barrack Obama... they asked him to stop wearing it because other people were turning it into a campaign issue by saying both she and Obama were using her son's death to get him votes? Is that REALLY a case you want to make?

here is the transcript:

so the probably cons tried to accuse this mother of exploiting her son's death by initially asking Obama to wear the bracelet and she got sick of the negative comments and asked Obama to stop wearing the bracelet at PUBLIC appearances to avoid further negativity....

I should've known that it was some kind of right wing bullshit smear.

The father himself says if Obama wants to continue wearing the bracelet that is HIS choice.... McCain tried to exploit the family of the soldier whose bracelet he wears and make it seem like Obama hadn't connected to any fallen soldier's families.... Obama, wrongly IMO, made the point that he had. He should've just left it alone IMO... but what's done is done...

I'd love to see the spin on this if the media picked it up when it came out that the reason she was forced to ask him to stop wearing this bracelet in honor of her dead son is because the right wing bloggers were hounding her and accusing her of exploiting her son's death in service of his country.