Faith-healing parents charged in baby's death

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shogun, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    15-month-old girl died from untreated infection, authorities say

OREGON CITY, Ore. - A couple whose church preaches against medical care are facing criminal charges after their young daughter died of an infection that authorities said went untreated.

Carl and Raylene Worthington were indicted Friday on charges of manslaughter and criminal mistreatment in the death of their 15-month-old daughter Ava. They belong to the Followers of Christ Church, whose members have a history of treating gravely ill children only with prayer.

Ava died March 2 of bronchial pneumonia and a blood infection. The state medical examiner’s office has said she could have been treated with antibiotics.

Dr. Christopher Young, a deputy state medical examiner, said the child’s breathing was further hampered by a benign cyst on her neck that had never been medically addressed, The Oregonian reported.

Laws passed in the 1990s struck down legal shields for faith-healing parents after the deaths of several children whose parents were members of the fundamentalist church.

Since those laws took effect in 1999, “We haven’t seen any cases of significant medical neglect ... until now,” said child abuse Detective Jeff Green of the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office.

The Worthingtons could face more than six years if convicted on the manslaughter charges and up to a year on the mistreatment charges, said Greg Horner, chief deputy district attorney. They were released on $250,000 bail, he said.

Horner said he didn’t know whether the couple had lawyers to speak for them. A number listed for the couple was disconnected. A man who answered the phone at the church Monday would not identify himself and said: “We’ve been told ’No comment.”’

The Worthingtons also lost a baby boy in 2001, but an investigation was closed after family members told police the child was stillborn. Several other Followers of Christ children have also been stillborn or died during home births in recent years, and none of the deaths resulted in criminal charges, authorities have said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23882698/

2. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    This is going on only 5 miles from my home... I posted it in the other thread. I'm guessing you missed it.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    I hope they go to jail.

4. nibor

nibor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's amazing how many "faith" is killing.........................:eusa_eh:

5. LOki

LOki The Yaweh of Mischief

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    I don't want them siphoning room and board off the tax payers any more than I want them siphoning medical resources from hospitals.

Their dumb is clearly taking it's course--just let it.

6. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I side way far with parents against government, but not this far.

7. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I believe there is a right to practice your religion with your children. Do you all honestly believe there is a right to practice your religion ON your child in this manner? What about her rights? Where are all the pro-lifers here? Why is it acceptable for parents to simply pray while their child dies?

The parents have right to refuse medical treatment for themselves, they're able to make that decision, a child has no ability to make such a decision and for a parent to refuse medical treatment on their behalf is child abuse and should be prosecuted. This little girl died as a result of parental neglect. I'm glad the parents are facing criminal charges.

acludem

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It isn't as simple as your argument attempts to present it. Your argument places an expectation that people will go against what they believe in under whatever circumstances you deem it correct to do so.

It is not unlawful to not seek and/or refuse modern medical treatment. It is not unlawful to not believe in it. If you don't believe in it, why on Earth would shoving a bunch of chemicals down your child's throat occur to you as being the right thing to do?

9. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    But it is unlawful to put your child in danger.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Uh huh ... now define "danger." What if the parents believe the chemicals YOU wish to shove down their child's throat are just as or more dangerous than the sickness?

While not based on any religious belief, I hate putting chemicals in my body. And you can just bet I passed that belief along to my children.