Waterboard Yoo Too

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rayboyusmc, Apr 2, 2008.

1. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    How we lost our way in the world of laws and morality.

http://tinyurl.com/2vghhc

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    It seems to me that Yoo's argument is supporting dictatorship. Didn't you blokes fight the British because of their tyranny?

3. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The Administration is using legal technicalities to support immoral practices. It's true, for example, that the combatants like al-qaeda aren't under the umbrella of the Geneva Convention. But you can't just look at that and decide it is ok to do whatever we want. You still have to consider right and wrong.

4. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    So, you would never ever torture someone? Even if they knew where the ticking time bomb was and it would save thousands of lives?

5. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    With respect, you're assuming your conclusion. You wrote, "it would save thousands of lives." That assumes that the torture effort would be successful in this instance. That makes it too easy. Of course I would because you've already stated that all I have to do is torture the suspect and I would save thousands of lives, I'd be pretty callous not to, I'd be a bloody idiot to refuse to torture a suspect in that circumstance.

Let me ask a question:

Is it right to torture for any reason at all?

6. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    True. So is torture immoral? If so why? If not, why not?

7. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Even if you knew that they would tell you whatever you wanted to hear just like McCain did to the NVA who tortured him.

Torture is used to get confession like this that you can use against the person or country.

Sounds like you listen to 24 too much.:rolleyes:

Torture is morally wrong. Always has been. We exectuted other people for torturing our military, so why do we have the right to torture them.

This administration is a bunch of chickenshit cowards who will do anything they can to cover their asses.

Woo is just another pimp who sold himself to the highest bidder.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Wow. Torture is morally wrong? So are a lot of things promoted by liberalism and what is it you say ... don't try to legislate YOUR morality on ME? Who are YOU to decide what is and is not moral?

And torture has NOT always been considered morally wrong. Native Americans considered it a test of one's strength as a man. The Inquisitions tortured in God's name; which, technically would be saying it is morally right to do to heretics. The Romans and countless other societies throughout history used it as legal punishment.

As I have said, when you don't even know what you're bashing this administration for. You're just a snake in the blind. Can't see shit, but striking anyway.

9. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Depends on the circumstances. My feeling is that nothing should be off the table because then our enemies do not know what to expect from us. Fear of the unknown can be a powerful thing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Worked on Khalid Sheik Mohammed didn't it? He didn't tell us just anything to stop the pain, did he? He told us operational details that allowed US forces to stop terrorist attacks.

There is a difference between torture for fun, which the North Koreans, North Vietnamese and others have used, and pain for a purpose. It shouldn't be done randomly, but it should be done sometimes and in the right way.