Response: Katrina vs Haiti Quake

At Last, Reporters' Feelings Rise to the Surface

Frustration with the government's response to Katrina caused Fox's Shepard Smith to shout at a police officer. (Fox News Channel)

By Friday, the New York Times and The Washington Post were carrying front-page stories on the preponderance of poor and minority victims, many of whom could not afford to leave town in the face of warnings about Hurricane Katrina.

The press had been sounding warnings about the danger of such storms for years. The New Orleans Times-Picayune, in a much-quoted five-part series in 2002, said: "It's only a matter of time before south Louisiana takes a direct hit from a major hurricane. Billions have been spent to protect us, but we grow more vulnerable every day."

The New York Times wrote later that year that New Orleans is "a disaster waiting to happen" and that a major hurricane could cause the city to "fill up like a cereal bowl, killing tens of thousands and laying waste to the city's architectural heritage. If the Big One hit, New Orleans could disappear." The Washington Post, writing about Hurricane Ivan, said one year ago: "If a strong Category 4 storm such as Ivan made a direct hit, [one expert] warned, 50,000 people could drown, and this city of Mardi Gras and jazz could cease to exist."

So much for the notion that a killer flood was "unimaginable," like terrorists flying airplanes into buildings. This was a case where the press did its job, to distressingly little effect.

Did the undeniable tendency of every network and local TV station to go haywire over each tropical storm and minor-league hurricane contribute to a sense of complacency in New Orleans? Did television simply cry wolf too often? Maybe, although many residents either lacked the financial means to flee or chose to risk staying behind.

Perhaps the least edifying aspect of the media's performance were the commentators who traded charges about who was to blame, even as the floodwaters and death toll were still rising. National Review columnist David Frum blamed liberals who contended that "the disaster was caused by the Bush administration's failure to protect the environment from global warming . . . no, no, it was caused by the administration's refusal to manipulate the environment by funding more levees to control the Mississippi River . . . it's Iraq, no it's budget cuts, no it's wetlands, and on and on and on.

Good God, what is wrong with these people? Will they ever learn to see somebody else's misfortune as something more than their political opportunity?"

But some on the left accuse conservatives of exploiting the tragedy, while others keep their focus on the war. Liberal blogger Markos Moulitsas, at Daily Kos, says America is a place "where an elective invasion of distant lands is possible, but airlifting food and water to stranded refugees inside our own borders is not. Where the top Republican in the House kvetches about rebuilding New Orleans while happily funding the rebuilding of Iraq. Seemingly without worrying himself that reconstruction estimates for New Orleans -- $25 billion -- equals just three months of funding for the Iraq quagmire."

Maureen Dowd made a similar argument in her New York Times column, saying money for Louisiana levees was "depleted by the Bush folly in Iraq," which has also drawn "30 percent of the National Guard."

But some criticism has crossed ideological lines, with the conservative Washington Times saying that Bush "risks losing the one trait his critics have never dented: His ability to lead, and be seen leading."

Kudos must be given to the bloggers who have organized aid drives for Katrina's victims; Insta-pundit's Glenn Reynolds listed dozens and their recommended charities.

The broadcast networks deserve credit for planning their fundraising specials, though one has to wonder how big a disaster it would take for them to abandon their lucrative entertainment shows and provide wall-to-wall news coverage, as they once did before fobbing off such matters on cable.

For a hopeful period after Sept. 11, 2001, it seemed the media were ready to relegate celebrities, gossip and tabloid tales to the margins and launch a new era of seriousness.

That, needless to say, did not last. The challenge for journalists now is how long they will stay with the New Orleans catastrophe as it turns into a long, painful slog of rebuilding and resettlement.

Howard Kurtz hosts CNN's weekly media program.
- Howard Kurtz - At Last, Reporters' Feelings Rise to the Surface - washingtonpost.com

NPR: Shep Smith "Steers Away From Ideology"

NPR's "Morning Edition" profiled Fox News anchor Shepard Smith Tuesday morning, focusing on the ways Smith differs from his more opinionated colleagues on Fox News and in cable news more generally. "Fox News has an evening cable news anchor who steers away from ideology," the profile opened.

"Shepard Smith's show is a study in contrast with the old school network newscasts, but maybe not in the way that you think," NPR's David Folkenflik said. "He propels his show with quick-witted, rapid-pattern narration," a tactic Shep compared to "video-snacking on YouTube" and news analyst Andrew Tyndall compared to "Entertainment Tonight."

"What he did is take the style of entertainment news and applied it to serious news," Tyndall said.

The crux of the segment, which can be heard here, is that Fox News "is paying Smith $8 million a year not to take an explicit point of view," and it even cited Media Matters' Eric Boehlert, who described Smith as the fairest anchor on Fox News.

"There are a lot of people on our channel who want you to think the way they do. We just want to give you some information to help you think," Smith said. "I don't much care for ideologues within my news cast. There is plenty of it out there, you don't need anymore.

"Who is better at toeing the Republican line than Sean Hannity? I can't even think of anybody right off the top of my head," Smith continued. "Sean Hannity doesn't host our news. He has never hosted our news. When we have news, I come on."

Listen here.

It's a valid comparison but the response is still in progress. We didn't know the full extent of FEMA's incompetency (like where some of their money went) right away. Wait till the dust settles then start bragging about it.

Now here is an interesting question. Has the adminsitration actually done something or are they just trying to look like they've done something? If they have actually done something to help people, please list what they've done.

LOL It's funny how the right didn't make that distinction when they were making such a huge deal out of politicizing the underpants bomber and how it took obama 72 hours to make a public statement. LOL

My guess is that if obama had waited to give a response the right would be critical of him for waiting. LOL

Apparently he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

It's a valid comparison but the response is still in progress. We didn't know the full extent of FEMA's incompetency (like where some of their money went) right away. Wait till the dust settles then start bragging about it.

Here you go again.

I will criticize any failures on the US side...and they will be there. That does not go to the idea/fact of believing the Dems are better at responding than the GOP, when aid is needed.

Any and all problems caused by the Hatians, the US and other agencies will not take away from the response of the USA under a Democratic President, Barack Obama.

Set up shit all you want. Feed the right wingnut lunacy spin machine. Stand on your head and eat a banana for all I care. But you will not be able to say the feeling you get now is similar, compared to the feelings surrounding Katrina...

On television, the frustration boiled over at different times. Fox's Shepard Smith shouted questions at a cop who refused to answer, saying: "What are you going to do with all these people? When is help coming for these people? Is there going to be help? I mean, they're very thirsty. Do you have any idea yet? Nothing? Officer?"

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough reported from Biloxi, Miss.: "What I have been seeing these past few days is nothing short of a national disgrace."

The GOP compassionate conservative response to a natural disaster and horrific tragedy that was Katrina, was as Joe Scarborough put it "a national disgrace"

end of story

http://www.usmessageboard.com/general-discussion/101384-facts-about-gop-response-to-katrina-fox-coverage.html

Now here is an interesting question. Has the adminsitration actually done something or are they just trying to look like they've done something? If they have actually done something to help people, please list what they've done.

LOL It's funny how the right didn't make that distinction when they were making such a huge deal out of politicizing the underpants bomber and how it took obama 72 hours to make a public statement. LOL

My guess is that if obama had waited to give a response the right would be critical of him for waiting. LOL

Bush waited 6 days to make a public statement after the Shoe Bomber incident

FEMA's response to Katrina sucked ass....but a lesson was learned.
However, the left enjoyed blaming the right for the response...even though it was not a "party" or "ideology" that dropped the ball.

The undies bomber getting through sucked ass....but a lesson was learned.
However, the right enjoyued blaming the left for the gaffe...even though it was not a "party" or "ideology" that dropped the ball.

See a trend?

However, the left enjoyed blaming the right for the response...even though it was not a "party" or "ideology" that dropped the ball.

However, the right enjoyued blaming the left for the gaffe...even though it was not a "party" or "ideology" that dropped the ball.

See a trend?
Hello?

Katrina was NOT a left right issue!

On television, the frustration boiled over at different times. Fox's Shepard Smith shouted questions at a cop who refused to answer, saying: "What are you going to do with all these people? When is help coming for these people? Is there going to be help? I mean, they're very thirsty. Do you have any idea yet? Nothing? Officer?"

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough reported from Biloxi, Miss.: "What I have been seeing these past few days is nothing short of a national disgrace."
http://www.usmessageboard.com/general-discussion/101384-facts-about-gop-response-to-katrina-fox-coverage.html

Last edited:

See a trend?
Hello?

HELLO?

That is exactly what I said. You have a reading comprehension issue? Or do I have an articulation issue.

See a trend?
Hello?

HELLO?

That is exactly what I said. You have a reading comprehension issue? Or do I have an articulation issue.
Hello, you are making it a left right issue by covering for the right.

The facts are Obama responded swifty, and compassionate conservatism under Bush responded in ways that were and are considered a national disgrace.

HELLO?

Hello, you are making it a left right issue by covering for the right.

The facts are Obama responded swifty, and compassionate conservatism under Bush responded in ways that were and are considered a national disgrace.

You DO have a reading comprehension issue.
I made it quite clear that the left AND the right tend to blame each other for things that are not left and right issues.

As for Obama acting swiftly with an international disaster.....yes, he did.

Just as Bush did with the Tsunami.

Just as Bush did with every hurricane AFTER seeing the flaws in the system during Katrina.

And just as Obama did when he saw the flaws in our system a la the underwear bomber.

Learn to read and comprehend. It is not a good idea to simply assume someone is arguing your point.

In other words...you will learn a lot more if you stop assuming everyone is like you....partisan.

As I die-hard liberal, I have to agree...to politicize this disaster...is futile at best.

Oh brother, there are still people from Katrina living off the government dole.

Bush waited 6 days to make a public statement after the Shoe Bomber incident

If that's true, Bush was wrong to wait 6 days, Obama was wrong to wait 3.

As I die-hard liberal, I have to agree...to politicize this disaster...is futile at best.

The disaster is what it is, but it shines a harsh light on the harsh realities of political ideology in times of crisis.

You are weak. You must be a progressive. You are no liberal, or your attitude is not liberal. It's okay. We all have (or so I'm told) weaknesses.

You DO have a reading comprehension issue.
I made it quite clear that the left AND the right tend to blame each other for things that are not left and right issues.

As for Obama acting swiftly with an international disaster.....yes, he did.

Just as Bush did with the Tsunami.

Just as Bush did with every hurricane AFTER seeing the flaws in the system during Katrina.

And just as Obama did when he saw the flaws in our system a la the underwear bomber.

Learn to read and comprehend. It is not a good idea to simply assume someone is arguing your point.

In other words...you will learn a lot more if you stop assuming everyone is like you....partisan.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

What Bush did in those other instances is what the government had done before him.

The GOP admin learned n-o-t-h-i-n-g. Get IT? They merely went back to what should have been done.

Your myopic view from the fence is side blinding you.

Giving credit for doing what is expected?

yeah, you're non partisan alright...and stupid.

Some people really don't know the meaning of weakness.

LOL!!!
roflmao.gif

Under President Obamals Leadership...Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Defense Secretary Gates, have cancelled plans and are getting into place to monitor their respective Depts' repsonse to the devastating Quake in Haiti.

Thank gawd for the Haitians that a Democratic led Admin is in office.

Gawd, only knows what the response would've been under a GOP led Admin..

Think Katrina.

It would have been exactly the same as the 2 incidents, Hurricane Katrina and the devastating earthquake in Haiti, are NOT COMPARABLE in any way, shape or form.

First, with Katrina there was a MONUMENTAL FAILURE OF LEADERSHIP at the mayoral and State Governor level. The ENTIRE disaster could have been mitigated had these 2 inept fucking morons acted. There would have been ZERO DEATHS. Bush's response AFTER THE FAILURE OF THE 2 INEPT BOOBS was to rely on an incompetent FEMA director and as President he was held accountable.

Second, the earthquake that happened in Haiti was a MASSIVE SUDDEN EVENT. There wasn't 4 days of warning signs so the Haitian government could evacuate millions of people who are now helpless and homeless.

I'm thankful that I live in a country were we have the means to help out other nations in distress. It has always been like that here in America. Our Presidents aren't suppose to govern at the MAYORAL LEVEL AND STATE GOVERNOR LEVEL. They are suppose to govern at the FEDERAL LEVEL and maintain our relationship with the world community by helping out poorer countries just like we always have.

The problem is with people like you who politicize the deaths of innocent earthquake victims. Grow up!

WOW the delusional get even worse as they try to rewrite history.

I would like to see you prove your claim that the "entire disaster could have been mitigated" if not for the governor and mayor. Can you provide something of substance to back up your claim that there would have been ZERO deaths?

As for bush relying on brownie, who gave brownie the job when he had little to no experience and who told him he was "doing a fine job" when it was obvious that he wasn't? Whose fault is it that bush stepped back and did nothing as he relied on brownie? You try to "mitigate" bush's responsibility by trying to shift the blame to brownie even as you claim W was held accountable when he never was held accountable.

Furthermore, I think your timeline on katrina is a little messed up. According to the timeline that didn't know it was going to make landfall where it did until less than 48 hours before it actually did make landfall. So your 4 days claim is a little off. 4 Days prior to it's landfall in NO it was making it's landfall in florida and was predicted to make it's second landfall in the florida panhandle, then it entered the gulf. On the afternoon of the 26th the predicted landfall was changed to coastline of mississippi annd louisiana and it made landfall at 6:10 AM on the 29th. How does a little more than 2 days add up to 4 days?
Besides that what does advanced warning do after the fact?? The event occured and W's response was horrible, none of your second guessing as you try to shift the blame for political reasons, when there was more than enough to go around, will change that.

The funny thing is that you attack the other poster for politicizing it and you are doing the very same thing. LOL

Forum List

Back