Faced with a challenge for the first time of my life............"getting another job while I already have one"

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
I already working in state government and applied for a federal job and they called for a interview. So how can a person go on multiple interviews and already employed? And what if you go on multiple interviews and dont get the damm job? lol So I never bought into the whole........."its easier to find a job when you already have one" statement. I would say its easier to get called for a interview when you already have a job.

I already working in state government and applied for a federal job and they called for a interview. So how can a person go on multiple interviews and already employed? And what if you go on multiple interviews and dont get the damm job? lol So I never bought into the whole........."its easier to find a job when you already have one" statement. I would say its easier to get called for a interview when you already have a job.
It's very common to interview for other roles while you're currently employed -- especially when opportunities provide better outcomes, you're unsatisfied with your current role or you've been selected for an upcoming workforce reduction.

It's very common to interview for other roles while you're currently employed -- especially when opportunities provide better outcomes, you're unsatisfied with your current role or you've been selected for an upcoming workforce reduction.
But the thought u have to keep it a secret when u are transitioning out to another role. U cant keep taking sick days

Just take a personal day. You don't need any excuse just let them know you'll be out.

Say you caught the funk from last nights orgy. :D

But the thought u have to keep it a secret when u are transitioning out to another role. U cant keep taking sick days
If a formal offer is extended, you turn in your notice - typically two weeks. You're not required to keep it secret, but it's in your best interest, as some employers will identify you as a flight risk.

Why not? Use personal/vacation days. See if you can do by zoom (getting more common). Just tell whoever you are taking the day off to go to an interview and take it as a loss day. If nothing else, it will let them know if they want to keep you, they better step up.

Just take a personal day. You don't need any excuse just let them know you'll be out.

Say you caught the funk from last nights orgy. :D
dont have personal days, only sick and vacation
Why not? Use personal/vacation days. See if you can do by zoom (getting more common). Just tell whoever you are taking the day off to go to an interview and take it as a loss day. If nothing else, it will let them know if they want to keep you, they better step up.
I dont think it would be a issue if its a job posting they sent through email about another state position. They do that all the time. Its just that federal job can be a long process

I dont think it would be a issue if its a job posting they sent through email about another state position. They do that all the time. Its just that federal job can be a long process
Depends on the job I suppose. If you were ever in the military or previously worked for the federal government though, you automatically get hiring preference over others who were not.

Be confident. When they want to schedule an interview...
you pick the day and time, and see if they can work it out for you! Say you don't want to miss much work time because you have a lot on your plate at work, could we schedule this late in the day or early in the morning...or on your day off?
(Saying something like that makes you appear confident and with work ethics.... it would not in any way, hurt you)

I've never interviewed with or for a government job, but in the private sector they would understand you are still employed, and have obligations to your employer... and would make the accommodation for you.

Also, a long process means there will be weeks between interviews and they could give you time to schedule a vacation day, and get it approved.

Be confident. When they want to schedule an interview...
you pick the day and time, and see if they can work it out for you! Say you don't want to miss much work time because you have a lot on your plate at work, could we schedule this late in the day or early in the morning...or on your day off?
(Saying something like that makes you appear confident and with work ethics.... it would not in any way, hurt you)

I've never interviewed with or for a government job, but in the private sector they would understand you are still employed, and have obligations to your employer... and would make the accommodation for you.

Also, a long process means there will be weeks between interviews and they could give you time to schedule a vacation day, and get it approved.
The woman called me on a friday at 510pm to set up a interview time for next week. Very odd time. So I will call on Monday

Forum List

Back