Facebook Just Gets Creepier And Creepier

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Not only does Facebook want you to share everything, they apparently are tracking what you decide not to share.

This is just plain creepy.

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine asked on Facebook:

Do you think that facebook tracks the stuff that people type and then erase before hitting <enter>? (or the “post” button)

Good question.

We spend a lot of time thinking about what to post on Facebook. Should you argue that political point your high school friend made? Do your friends really want to see yet another photo of your cat (or baby)? Most of us have, at one time or another, started writing something and then, probably wisely, changed our minds.

Unfortunately, the code in your browser that powers Facebook still knows what you typed—even if you decide not to publish it.* It turns out that the things you explicitly choose not to share aren't entirely private.

Facebook calls these unposted thoughts "self-censorship," and insights into how it collects these nonposts can be found in a recent paper written by two Facebookers. Sauvik Das, a Ph.D. student at Carnegie Mellon and summer software engineer intern at Facebook, and Adam Kramer, a Facebook data scientist, have put online an article presenting their study of the self-censorship behavior collected from 5 million English-speaking Facebook users. (The paper was also published at the International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media.*) It reveals a lot about how Facebook monitors our unshared thoughts and what it thinks about them.

The study examined aborted status updates, posts on other people's timelines, and comments on others' posts. To collect the text you type, Facebook sends code to your browser. That code automatically analyzes what you type into any text box and reports metadata back to Facebook...

Facebook self-censorship: What happens to the posts you don?t publish?!

fakebook strikes again.....i lurk on hus facebook page....i dont have one....seems mostly for young families with picture exchanging and all...

I don't have Facebook. I remember trying to get to know my neighbor and another neighbor said he wouldn't answer me because he values his privacy. Years later, that reply meant something to me.

The generation before me would value their privacy and wouldn't join Facebook I thought.

Anytime I have to click on or agree to give up my rights is a no sale for me. We have this thing called the Constitution and the Bill of Rights so how can we defend our rights if we give them up to other companies?

A few years ago I saw the news using Facebook photos to talk about arrests and I thought that was crossing the line.

Any contractor to Facebook or any employee has the "keys" or access to Facebook so what you think is private may actually not be.

There are also a number of Christians who are actually censored on Facebook.

I would rather spend the time with my kids than being married to Facebook.

It is giving out too much information about yourself for people who don't want to spend that much time being friends.

The privacy laws need to be strengthened and our rights have to be protected for the digital age. Our politicians need to stop pandering to companies like Facebook and protect our rights.

Haven't been on Facebook for a year now and I don't miss it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Write and edit everything in Word or in another program ... Copy/Paste.
Everything you do online is an open book for those who know how to read it.

Take for instance some photos you can upload to Facebook that were taken with certain cameras.
Facebook can automatically tell where those photos were taken and put a tag on your map.
Instagram works the same way ... And people leave trails all over the "cloud".

You are crazy if you think people aren't interested and programs aren't looking at it ... At least in regards to plopping more products in front of you that you are likely to buy.
If you think I am kidding ... Write a message about dog collars in your email if you have a service like Hotmail, Yahoo, AT&T or Gmail.
You will notice that a lot of the adds on the side will switch to dog collars, dog food, grooming products and even behavioral training for dogs.

You didn't give them permission to read your email ... Nobody sitting behind a desk read it and made the change ... A program picked out the key word dog and ran with it.
It is all 1's and 0's ... Even when they mean "delete" ... The chain that was recorded before the delete command is still there until something is written over it.
In the "cloud" you have no control over what is deleted or when it is written over.

Last edited:
The Google Glass face recognition NameTag thing is Beyond Creepy.

Total Surveillance State.

It's time to reassert Privacy as a basic human right.

I have a laptop that is registered to Donald Duck in Orlando, Florida.

Last edited:
Facebook is good for nothing more than playing online games. I have yet to share any photos of myself or my kids on it. It's just a matter of time before it fades into the sunset like many other sites before it (myspace, aol, etc). I didn't even use my 'real' info when I set up the account on there. :)

I never had any interest in joining Facebook. I don't feel I've missed anything.

Well it isn't just Facebook ... Every time you click that little "Agree" button nowadays, you probably are not fully aware of what you agreed to.

All social and software sites have certain tracking programs ... Sites like LinkedIn, Steam, Origin and the list goes on.
It isn't a mystery because they tell what they are doing ... Most people just don't read it all.
Some programs look at cookies or whatever ... The ads at this site will change if the engine can figure out what you were doing before you got here.
Otherwise programs just take the biographic or leading info that is available and guess what you could be interested in.

I am not sure about the specifics with every site or here at USMB ... But I have been involved with sites that could track where you came from when you clicked on that site.
It is just like some kind of internet traffic report ... It is very handy for corporations, governments or whoever knows where to look.
It helps them decide where to focus efforts ... And assist in capturing profits or criminals.

Even sites like USMB can use the data to monitor where the on and off ramps for the internet interstate are.
Where people come from when they jump on the site ... Or at least what they were looking at when they decided to get off the site.
Still ... It is a pile of data that no one person could properly manage outside of trending at this point ... But programs are getting better at guessing nowadays.

Just remember that everything you do online is an open book for anyone to see ... And if you think anything you do is secure ... Ask the customers of Target, Neiman Marcus, PayPal ... The Department of Defense, the IRS, US. Gov ...
And whoever else has been hacked already.

Not only does Facebook want you to share everything, they apparently are tracking what you decide not to share.

This is just plain creepy.
yep. I don't have a Facebook account, and don't plan on ever having one.

Also, with identity theft on the rise, it's just another reason to stay away from facebook.

I have a laptop that is registered to Donald Duck in Orlando, Florida.

Do you wear a mask when you use it?

Great Point ... Cameras on phones and computers can be remotely accessed and operated as long as the unit is on, connected to the internet or within the service range of a tower.

If anyone is stupid enough to have a camera attached to their computer or at least keep it connected ... They should understand they are not in complete control of it.
Cell phone cameras have already been used by law enforcement as long as they have a warrant.
People who are not doing what they are supposed to be doing might want to pay attention to what their phones and computers are doing ... Whether or not they told it to.

Personally I don't much care ... It isn't new technology, and isn't a new way of applying it either. ... Although there are ways to protect yourself.
The only thing new is that some people are just now figuring out how exposed they are.

I put tape over the built in camera on my Macbook.

Another creepy thing is televisions with camera. If I had one (which I won't), I'd cover up that as well.

Yes camera and mic on your cell phone can be easily hacked too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back