Exercise regimen and diet...getting back in tip top shape.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dante, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Okay, there are a few people here who appear to be in shape and who seem like they may know a thing or two about exercise regimens and diet.

I am starting out all over again in more ways than one. I am looking at a few things and it looks like one could get overwhelmed with the amount of info out there. I've perused a few forums/message boards out there and videos and more. Like with everything else I am sure that most of the info on what I am interested in is outdated, flawed or just plain useless. It's like I don't want to be buying a book on parenting written by by childless nitwits working in the structured environment of lab experiments. So, what do others here do to not only keep in shape but to build strength, agility and reflexes?

I am looking down the road at a mixed martial arts program, but first need to build some stamina and buy or get fitted for a wrist brace. I am putting off any surgery because of the potential nerve damage that would involve.

I never really had to work hard at being in shape before, until my metabolism slowed down what with getting older, quitting smoking and sitting at a fukin' computer console, so some constructive advice mixed with witty insults and poignancy would be greatly appreciated. :eusa_shhh:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm not very good at witty insults, though I'm amused by those that are.

When I had to get back in shape, I changed my diet immediately. Low sodium, high vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, yogurt, and some protein-but 3 or 4 oz only. I also got more serious about exercise, though I'd been going to my gym for a couple years, when I got bored walking or swimming I'd head for the fun part-steam & sauna, sometimes a haircut or manicure. I added some free weights, cycling, and seriously counted steps. I make it a point to get there at least 4 times a week.

I think any type of program will work, has to be something you enjoy. It's the old adage of just starting...

3. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So, bon bons are a nono?

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Luckily that was never my downfall! Now asiago bagels? :cry: :lol: Actually the low sodium helps me, things I love like beef stew are not very good with little or no salt. Fish is best, then chicken.

5. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Eat lots of pies, drink lots of beer and lift weights 3/4 times a week.I bought a treadmill at christmas and have set it up in the garage, I have stared at it a time or two when I have had to go into the garage for something, I might give it a go sometime soon before I burst.

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Easy regiment?

Get up early, (like around 6AM) smoke a LOT of cigarettes and drink a huge amount of coffee.

Do nothing but sit at your computer smoking butts and drinking coffee til about 4 PM.

Make dinner, eat all you want, and then don't eat anything else.

Go to bed and do the same tomorrow for the rest of your life.

You will not be fat, believe me.

7. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    does the treadmill stare back at you?

8. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    "Get up early, (like around 6AM) smoke a LOT of cigarettes and drink a huge amount of coffee." I did that with tea instead of coffee for a few years, minus the computer. I cheated though. I did a lot of manual labor and had a 100lb pup with me who needed lots of exercise, most every waking hour.

but thank you for the inspirational story

9. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950

Forlornly or maybe relief, I can't tell.

10. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    you seem so...um...so rational and reasonable. maybe you need to add more red meat and beer (a roomy regimen) to your diet?