Exercise regimen and diet...getting back in tip top shape.

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Okay, there are a few people here who appear to be in shape and who seem like they may know a thing or two about exercise regimens and diet.

I am starting out all over again in more ways than one. I am looking at a few things and it looks like one could get overwhelmed with the amount of info out there. I've perused a few forums/message boards out there and videos and more. Like with everything else I am sure that most of the info on what I am interested in is outdated, flawed or just plain useless. It's like I don't want to be buying a book on parenting written by by childless nitwits working in the structured environment of lab experiments. So, what do others here do to not only keep in shape but to build strength, agility and reflexes?

I am looking down the road at a mixed martial arts program, but first need to build some stamina and buy or get fitted for a wrist brace. I am putting off any surgery because of the potential nerve damage that would involve.

I never really had to work hard at being in shape before, until my metabolism slowed down what with getting older, quitting smoking and sitting at a fukin' computer console, so some constructive advice mixed with witty insults and poignancy would be greatly appreciated. :eusa_shhh:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Okay, there are a few people here who appear to be in shape and who seem like they may know a thing or two about exercise regimens and diet.

I am starting out all over again in more ways than one. I am looking at a few things and it looks like one could get overwhelmed with the amount of info out there. I've perused a few forums/message boards out there and videos and more. Like with everything else I am sure that most of the info on what I am interested in is outdated, flawed or just plain useless. It's like I don't want to be buying a book on parenting written by by childless nitwits working in the structured environment of lab experiments. So, what do others here do to not only keep in shape but to build strength, agility and reflexes?

I am looking down the road at a mixed martial arts program, but first need to build some stamina and buy or get fitted for a wrist brace. I am putting off any surgery because of the potential nerve damage that would involve.

I never really had to work hard at being in shape before, until my metabolism slowed down what with getting older, quitting smoking and sitting at a fukin' computer console, so some constructive advice mixed with witty insults and poignancy would be greatly appreciated. :eusa_shhh:

I'm not very good at witty insults, though I'm amused by those that are.

When I had to get back in shape, I changed my diet immediately. Low sodium, high vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, yogurt, and some protein-but 3 or 4 oz only. I also got more serious about exercise, though I'd been going to my gym for a couple years, when I got bored walking or swimming I'd head for the fun part-steam & sauna, sometimes a haircut or manicure. I added some free weights, cycling, and seriously counted steps. I make it a point to get there at least 4 times a week.

I think any type of program will work, has to be something you enjoy. It's the old adage of just starting...

So, bon bons are a nono?

Luckily that was never my downfall! Now asiago bagels? :cry: :lol: Actually the low sodium helps me, things I love like beef stew are not very good with little or no salt. Fish is best, then chicken.

Eat lots of pies, drink lots of beer and lift weights 3/4 times a week.I bought a treadmill at christmas and have set it up in the garage, I have stared at it a time or two when I have had to go into the garage for something, I might give it a go sometime soon before I burst.

Easy regiment?

Get up early, (like around 6AM) smoke a LOT of cigarettes and drink a huge amount of coffee.

Do nothing but sit at your computer smoking butts and drinking coffee til about 4 PM.

Make dinner, eat all you want, and then don't eat anything else.

Go to bed and do the same tomorrow for the rest of your life.

You will not be fat, believe me.

Eat lots of pies, drink lots of beer and lift weights 3/4 times a week.I bought a treadmill at christmas and have set it up in the garage, I have stared at it a time or two when I have had to go into the garage for something, I might give it a go sometime soon before I burst.

does the treadmill stare back at you?

Easy regiment?

Get up early, (like around 6AM) smoke a LOT of cigarettes and drink a huge amount of coffee.

Do nothing but sit at your computer smoking butts and drinking coffee til about 4 PM.

"Get up early, (like around 6AM) smoke a LOT of cigarettes and drink a huge amount of coffee." I did that with tea instead of coffee for a few years, minus the computer. I cheated though. I did a lot of manual labor and had a 100lb pup with me who needed lots of exercise, most every waking hour.

but thank you for the inspirational story

Forlornly or maybe relief, I can't tell.

When I had to get back in shape, I changed my diet immediately. Low sodium, high vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, yogurt, and some protein-but 3 or 4 oz only. I also got more serious about exercise, though I'd been going to my gym for a couple years, when I got bored walking or swimming I'd head for the fun part-steam & sauna, sometimes a haircut or manicure. I added some free weights, cycling, and seriously counted steps. I make it a point to get there at least 4 times a week.

I think any type of program will work, has to be something you enjoy. It's the old adage of just starting...

you seem so...um...so rational and reasonable. maybe you need to add more red meat and beer (a roomy regimen) to your diet?

have you seen anyone training with a brace that immobilizes the wrist and hand so that the hand and wrist do not turn separately? making them act like one to protect the wrist?

Easy regiment?

"Get up early, (like around 6AM) smoke a LOT of cigarettes and drink a huge amount of coffee." I did that with tea instead of coffee for a few years, minus the computer. I cheated though. I did a lot of manual labor and had a 100lb pup with me who needed lots of exercise, most every waking hour.

Hey, only too happy to help.

People ask me how I keep so trim.

Well I was in amazing shape when I was vigorous and active and now I'm just coasting through life having never developed any of those fats cells that so many people developed when they were young.

THAT and I don't think that I have to eat three squares a day.

Mankind did not develop as a species where eating three meals a day was common.

Eating like the government and nutritionists keep telling people to eat is guaranteed to make most people fat.

free weights vs machines?

walking and exercising with weight straps/belts - good or bad?

eating before or after an exercise routine?

how long does it take the body to lose fat and rebuild as muscle? what do you do for rest periods?

does anyone have a modified regimen for differences like injuries or such?

Easy regiment?

Well I was in amazing shape when I was vigorous and active and now I'm just coasting through life having never developed any of those fats cells that so many people developed when they were young.

Eating like the government and nutritionists keep telling people to eat is guaranteed to make most people fat.

I used to be like that. now I eat more often...and smaller meals each day.

I am looking to change how I eat if that will help get me off the road to existing in a state of being permanently out of shape.

have you seen anyone training with a brace that immobilizes the wrist and hand so that the hand and wrist do not turn separately? making them act like one to protect the wrist?

No, it sounds as if free weights are out but machines should be ok for you to work out on.

hmmm, hadn't thought of the obvious. snap, break...ouch!

what about mixed martial arts training? have you seen people with braces and a modified regimen where the forearm and palm are used to strike?

I have scoped out a few reputable teachers in this area, but I will not be living here that much longer to be able to commit to a long term program. I am hesitant to just show up cold with little to no idea of what is out there. I don't want to go somewhere and leave a bad impression because I took advice and exited. I know people train for a living and expect a commitment. What about videos, are they of any use? I've viewed some on you tube and a few sites, but I do not trust everything I see on the internet(s). :eek:

No, it sounds as if free weights are out but machines should be ok for you to work out on.

what about mixed martial arts training? have you seen people with braces and a modified regimen where the forearm and palm are used to strike?

I have scoped out a few reputable teachers in this area, but I will not be living here that much longer to be able to commit to a long term program. I am hesitant to just show up cold with little to no idea of what is out there. I don't want to go somewhere and leave a bad impression because I took advice and exited. I know people train for a living and expect a commitment. What about videos, are they of any use? I've viewed some on you tube and a few sites, but I do not trust everything I see on the internet(s). :eek:

I have seen people training with all manner of braces and bandages etc where there is a will there is a way, you train around injuries.You would have to have a word with any prospective trainers.I have never used videos, my father trained me from the age of about 15, until then I had watched him work out.You really need someone who knows what they are doing to show you the ropes or you could hurt yourself badly.Gunny knows more about the martial arts stuff than anyone else here.

I have seen people training with all manner of braces and bandages etc where there is a will there is a way, you train around injuries.You would have to have a word with any prospective trainers.I have never used videos, my father trained me from the age of about 15, until then I had watched him work out.You really need someone who knows what they are doing to show you the ropes or you could hurt yourself badly.Gunny knows more about the martial arts stuff than anyone else here.

thanks. I have a friend (out here of all places) who is into mixed martial arts stuff, but he is no teacher. I have yet to tell him of my plans and get his opinions. He is new out here too, so I don't think he knows anyone here. I'll speak with him later today. I'm ready to start doing what I need to do.

Later on I will most likely have to look around for somebody who is knowledgeable in designing modified regimens. Well meaning people might make my [Ihandicap[/I] more of an issue than it already is.

and I have the will. I can be as willful as I am mean, nasty and fugly. :lol: I just need to travel the way.

thanks...

you seem so...um...so rational and reasonable. maybe you need to add more red meat and beer (a roomy regimen) to your diet?

Oh I love red meat, can do without the beer though! When I get a real 'taste' for steak, I either buy myself one or go to a great restaurant. Then I don't care how much it weighs! (Probably why it's better to do at home). ;) I figure going off 1 or 2X a month is not going to kill me and if it would, well than I'm glad I had it!

I used to be like that. now I eat more often...and smaller meals each day.

I am looking to change how I eat if that will help get me off the road to existing in a state of being permanently out of shape.

My sympthy to people who are constantly fighting their weight is very sincere.

I have never been fat, but I have seen plenty of people who eat very sensibly, and not in excess who constantly are fighting off pounds, and I KNOW they are not gluttons.

I am so devoid of fat cells that can't do a dead man's float with lungs full of air.

Basically that means that I have like zero fat cells.

Some of this is no doubt genetic and some of it is simply a lifestyle which started out with me never having access to food except at regular meals.

But, I am told, that once your body develops those fats cells, (and that often happens in your youth) your body will take every bit of extra food that is in excess to fill them, and I am also informed that the body would rather burn muscle than fat it has stored, too, so some of this is truly just an examle of bad engineering on the part of mother nature, I think.

I am blessed with a some happy physical things and this metabolism of mine (that and my wash and wear hair) are two of them for which I take absolutely no credit.

Forum List

Back