Exercise regimen and diet...getting back in tip top shape.

Forlornly or maybe relief, I can't tell.

have you seen anyone training with a brace that immobilizes the wrist and hand so that the hand and wrist do not turn separately? making them act like one to protect the wrist?

You can do pullups with an imobilized wrist, and you can buy straps or hooks that further take the hands and wrists out of the exercise.

You can also do deadlifts, using the same straps/hooks.

Barbell or dumbell curls.

Dumbell military (over the head) presses. You could also do dumbell bench presses you just won't be able to turn the dumbells, you'll have to keep them, and your wrists straight.

Dumbell shrugs.

Front, rear and side lateral raises with dumbells.

I had to give you the low down on the severity of my injuries first. :lol:

but Gunny, this looks very doable. very. I have started doing the warm up exercises I remember from a million years ago back in PT and basic training at Ft. Dix. NJ. I do a twist of the forearm instead of the wrist when exercising or doing anything else....but it can get hairy. I'll modify a few of your suggestions and release you from any and all liability here and now. :eusa_shhh:

thank you. I needed suggestions. I have a few web pages marked but they are filled with too much or too little.

Last edited:
Play paintball. Seriously, my bf and I play every weekend, it's fun and a great workout. Mostly cardio, but still. Give it a try.

Since we were discussing your possible operation to remove that excess skin, I was wondering if you would like to use your before picture as your avatar.

ugly_fat_man_big_tummy_funny_pictur.jpg

But seriously, excercise and that will stem your appetite. And do not eat after 6 at night.

I exercise, mostly to tone and firm. I don't like to exercise so I pick workouts that gives me the biggest bang for the time.

I've been using Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and I love it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232847365&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred: Jillian Michaels, Andrea Ambandos: Movies & TV[/ame]

It's got 3 different workouts and they are each 20 minutes long. I've been on the first workout for 3 weeks and I am ready to move onto the second one. It's got cardio, strength (weights), and ab all in one workout. She's serious too and doesn't smile all the time like some workout instructors.

Okay, there are a few people here who appear to be in shape and who seem like they may know a thing or two about exercise regimens and diet. :eusa_shhh:

First Question: What EXACTLY is wrong with your wrist?
according to quest...

what a fukin' mess, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soda is easy to throw away and I never do anything diet or sugar free.
Diet is easy.

knees? :lol:

what about swimming and biking? I'll try running. fuk it....knee replacements have come a long way. :lol:

3-5 sets of 10-12 situps/crunches/whatever your favorite ab exercise is.

I can't really comment on upper body work until I know what's wrong with your wrist.
I have started push ups on the floor where I hold my wrist at an awkward angle, but I need to build up some more strength in and around the wrist. I started using a door frame to push away from and it seems to be working. I set my body away from the frame and lean forward into the frame. I'm wide enough in the shoulder area that I get a good stance and form. I am looking to put a bar across the frame so that I cam keep my arms tighter to the shoulders. I'll start on the floor again after I build up more support along the forearm and hand to protect the wrist.

I can use machines but hate them. I like free weights but it is obvious after a certain load I am being foolish.

I want to strength train and build up stamina so that I can take some mixed martial arts stuff. where there's a will there's a way.

---

The part that says what's wrong with your wrist seems to be missing.

Since you expressed a desire to do a martial arts program anyway, try doing pushups on your fists. That alleviates supination/pronation of the wrist and builds static hand and wrist strength.

I'm going on a limb here since I don't know what your wrist problem is ... if you have carpal tunnel, fuck surgery. I tried every stupid little program they suggested and even considered surgery. Then I just started doing dumbell wrist curls and dumbell overhand wrist curls and it went away and I haven't had it since.

If you have an actual biomechanical injury to your wrist, then you will have to work around it, and yes, if you want to work around it, you will.

Using the dumbells for bench presses and presses as I suggested previously, instead of a bar, negates the need to supinate/pronate the wrists on those exercises. You just lift with the dumbells the way you pick them up instead of twisting your wrists to accomodate a bar.

Swimming is good exercise; however, I've never lost an ounce from it, and I'm water survival qualified, so it isn't like I was lazy about it.

You can run 3 miles or bike 30. That would be determined by how much time you want to spend on a bike and how numb you like your balls.

If you have a bad knee or knees, take that into consideration when choosing a martial art. I can still do Okinawan karate, but my days of practicing kung fu forms are over because if I go through all those deep sets my knees hate me for days.:lol:

free weights vs machines?
I honesty don't think it makes any difference. When I was in the military I got into working out heavy. The base gyms were really nice. They had it all. Free weights and Nautilus machines. I used them all. Resistance training is resistance. The only difference I can see between free weights and machines though is with free weights you have to use other muscles to control what you're lifting. That can be a plus I guess, unless you're really trying to target a muscle group.

walking and exercising with weight straps/belts - good or bad?
Good. Weight training for bulk just doesn't do it all. To get your heart in great shape you need to include some sort of aerobic exercise.

eating before or after an exercise routine?
After. Digestion requires energy from the body. You can actually feel tired if you go to work out after eating.

how long does it take the body to lose fat and rebuild as muscle? what do you do for rest periods?
It starts immediately. You exercise, the body starts building muscle and eating fat.

does anyone have a modified regimen for differences like injuries or such?
I think this is where it wouldn't hurt to consult a physical therapist. I mean if you have some sort of injury, you sure don't want to make it worse.

It's good you want to get in shape. The world is getting fatter and fatter. I just heard on the news the other day that 1 out of every 3 people in American is obese. Not overweight... "OBESE." It's an epidemic.

Last edited:
Since we were discussing your possible operation to remove that excess skin, I was wondering if you would like to use your before picture as your avatar.

ugly_fat_man_big_tummy_funny_pictur.jpg

But seriously, excercise and that will stem your appetite. And do not eat after 6 at night.

I exercise, mostly to tone and firm. I don't like to exercise so I pick workouts that gives me the biggest bang for the time.

I've been using Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and I love it.

Amazon.com: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred: Jillian Michaels, Andrea Ambandos: Movies & TV

It's got 3 different workouts and they are each 20 minutes long. I've been on the first workout for 3 weeks and I am ready to move onto the second one. It's got cardio, strength (weights), and ab all in one workout. She's serious too and doesn't smile all the time like some workout instructors.

that is the photo of kirk/Chris, I used when I made the The Men of BDC Calendar.

:lol:

btw, I have no skin to remove. I only went up to a huge 220lbs with a small pot belly. that was fat for me

Last edited:
Oh my word! Not a pretty sight.:lol:

But I think exercise does so much - boosts the immune system, strengthens the heart and lungs, fills our system with endorphins and just makes us way, way stronger people.

I hate going to the gym.

Quite frankly, I think gym memberships are a waste of money.

You can get great results working out at home. Someone mentioned the P90 dvds those are great.

I am a real fan of real world training. Lifting symmetric and balanced weights is OK but I prefer body weight exercises and using things like odd shaped weights and sand bags for resistance.

This guy has some great workouts

RossTraining - Bridging The Gap Between Ordinary and Extraordinary

some great video clips on his site. and tons of free articles

[youtube]B9hk9z1YVcE&eurl[/youtube]

thanks for the links...

I'll be modifying a lot of things that to Gunny's and other's suggestions. This guy's stuff is in inspirational.

what about motivation?

motivation?

motivation?

motivation?

anyone have suggestions?

:eusa_whistle:
I hate going to the gym.

Quite frankly, I think gym memberships are a waste of money.

You can get great results working out at home. Someone mentioned the P90 dvds those are great.

I am a real fan of real world training. Lifting symmetric and balanced weights is OK but I prefer body weight exercises and using things like odd shaped weights and sand bags for resistance.

This guy has some great workouts

RossTraining - Bridging The Gap Between Ordinary and Extraordinary

some great video clips on his site. and tons of free articles

[youtube]B9hk9z1YVcE&eurl[/youtube]

Motivation is tough.

I make everything a competition, I hate to lose even to myself.

Keep really good workout logs, even include how you're feeling.

My wife likes to use a heart rate monitor with a calories burned function, she'll track calories burned in different workouts and then try to up the intensity to beat the old numbers even by 1 calorie.

Last edited:
Motivation is tough.

I make everything a competition, I hate to lose even to myself.

Keep really good workout logs, even include how you're feeling.

My wife likes to use a heart rate monitor with a calories burned function, she'll track calories burned in different workouts and then try to up the intensity to beat the old numbers even by 1 calorie.

I just look in the mirror every morning and tell myself what a sexy motherfucker I am.

I agree! I use a pedometer and a pulse/blood pressure monitor. I started out with a goal of 10k steps per day. Now I get angry at myself if under 20k.

In have another few questions.

how long should a regimen be? half an hour, one hour, as long as it takes to complete a set number or reps of a certain number of exercises?

re: this is when starting out new.

what about types of exercises? what about the idea of doing upper body vs legs vs arms etc, on different days? combining upper body with arms and then another day doing legs with abs? or is it better to do a whole body workout in the beginning?

stopped driving and walk miles and miles most every day.

Has it worked??

Unlike GHW Bush, I love broccoli.

I like broccoli too. My favorite broccoli dish is prepared the following way:

Peel the outer layer of the stem. Cut up broccoli crowns, and also the stem (not too thick).
Peel 1 clove of garlic, slice them.
Need crushed red pepper and olive oil

Cover a non-stick pan with a 1/4 cup of olive oil. Heat pan with medium heat until the oil starts to glaze over and ripple.

Add sliced garlic, let the fragrance develop, but don't let it burn.

Add sliced stems and cook for 1minute, then add the florets. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly add 1/4 cup of water, cover pan and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Don't let broccoli get mushy or overcook. Color should still be green and the texture should be crisp. Take off heat, add a few shakes of crushed red peppers.

Tons of cancer fighting agents in broccoli as well as fiber.

Forum List

Back