Exercise regimen and diet...getting back in tip top shape.

Hey, only too happy to help.

People ask me how I keep so trim.

Well I was in amazing shape when I was vigorous and active and now I'm just coasting through life having never developed any of those fats cells that so many people developed when they were young.

THAT and I don't think that I have to eat three squares a day.

Mankind did not develop as a species where eating three meals a day was common.

Eating like the government and nutritionists keep telling people to eat is guaranteed to make most people fat.

I used to be like that. now I eat more often...and smaller meals each day.

I am looking to change how I eat if that will help get me off the road to existing in a state of being permanently out of shape.

My sympthy to people who are constantly fighting their weight is very sincere.

I have never been fat, but I have seen plenty of people who eat very sensibly, and not in excess who constantly are fighting off pounds, and I KNOW they are not gluttons.

I am so devoid of fat cells that can't do a dead man's float with lungs full of air.

Basically that means that I have like zero fat cells.

Some of this is no doubt genetic and some of it is simply a lifestyle which started out with me never having access to food except at regular meals.

But, I am told, that once your body develops those fats cells, (and that often happens in your youth) your body will take every bit of extra food that is in excess to fill them, and I am also informed that the body would rather burn muscle than fat it has stored, too, so some of this is truly just an examle of bad engineering on the part of mother nature, I think.

I am blessed with a some happy physical things and this metabolism of mine (that and my wash and wear hair) are two of them for which I take absolutely no credit.

I could tolerate the fat cells, I mean we do control what we take in. On the other hand, you must die for the hair! :whip: I have way too much hair, too thick, too wavy/curly. Many hours wasted straitening, blow drying, or scrunching. Went out this morning and had most of it cut off!

Hey, only too happy to help.

People ask me how I keep so trim.

Well I was in amazing shape when I was vigorous and active and now I'm just coasting through life having never developed any of those fats cells that so many people developed when they were young.

THAT and I don't think that I have to eat three squares a day.

Mankind did not develop as a species where eating three meals a day was common.

Eating like the government and nutritionists keep telling people to eat is guaranteed to make most people fat.

I used to be like that. now I eat more often...and smaller meals each day.

I am looking to change how I eat if that will help get me off the road to existing in a state of being permanently out of shape.

My sympthy to people who are constantly fighting their weight is very sincere.

I have never been fat, but I have seen plenty of people who eat very sensibly, and not in excess who constantly are fighting off pounds, and I KNOW they are not gluttons.

I am so devoid of fat cells that can't do a dead man's float with lungs full of air.

Basically that means that I have like zero fat cells.

Some of this is no doubt genetic and some of it is simply a lifestyle which started out with me never having access to food except at regular meals.

But, I am told, that once your body develops those fats cells, (and that often happens in your youth) your body will take every bit of extra food that is in excess to fill them, and I am also informed that the body would rather burn muscle than fat it has stored, too, so some of this is truly just an examle of bad engineering on the part of mother nature, I think.

I am blessed with a some happy physical things and this metabolism of mine (that and my wash and wear hair) are two of them for which I take absolutely no credit.

I didn't put on more than a few ponds (3 to 5) until well past my youth. DIdn't get the dreaded pot belly until last few years. Just lost is.

I weighed 165/170 in all my teens and 20s. I didn't get past 170 until I was well into my 30s. all sinew/muscle and bone. I was always wiry, and agile and strong as any man twice my size..maybe larger.

P90X® - Fitness, Nutrition, Diet, Weight Loss Official Website

If you can survive the first two weeks, you'll be set. It's one of the most intense exercise programs I've ever attempted, and the diet plan that goes with it is easy to follow.

really? how odd..this is what I looked into before I moved out here. It looks like no scam.

what was the total cost in dollars?

Nada. I got it from a friend. I think it usually runs around $120 for the discs and nutrition guide, but you also get access to the Beach Body Experts and can ask them questions during the process.

It's not a scam. I have a few friends who have used it and they saw pretty drastic results in the 90 days. They still use it and are still toning their bodies. I've been doing it for about a month, and I can already tell the difference.

P90X® - Fitness, Nutrition, Diet, Weight Loss Official Website

If you can survive the first two weeks, you'll be set. It's one of the most intense exercise programs I've ever attempted, and the diet plan that goes with it is easy to follow.

really? how odd..this is what I looked into before I moved out here. It looks like no scam.

what was the total cost in dollars?

Nada. I got it from a friend. I think it usually runs around $120 for the discs and nutrition guide, but you also get access to the Beach Body Experts and can ask them questions during the process.

It's not a scam. I have a few friends who have used it and they saw pretty drastic results in the 90 days. They still use it and are still toning their bodies. I've been doing it for about a month, and I can already tell the difference.

promise not to beat me up when you get to your goal? I'm tired of paying roomy and Gunny all the protection money I do. I can't afford more.

Okay, there are a few people here who appear to be in shape and who seem like they may know a thing or two about exercise regimens and diet.

I am starting out all over again in more ways than one. I am looking at a few things and it looks like one could get overwhelmed with the amount of info out there. I've perused a few forums/message boards out there and videos and more. Like with everything else I am sure that most of the info on what I am interested in is outdated, flawed or just plain useless. It's like I don't want to be buying a book on parenting written by by childless nitwits working in the structured environment of lab experiments. So, what do others here do to not only keep in shape but to build strength, agility and reflexes?

I am looking down the road at a mixed martial arts program, but first need to build some stamina and buy or get fitted for a wrist brace. I am putting off any surgery because of the potential nerve damage that would involve.

I never really had to work hard at being in shape before, until my metabolism slowed down what with getting older, quitting smoking and sitting at a fukin' computer console, so some constructive advice mixed with witty insults and poignancy would be greatly appreciated. :eusa_shhh:

First Question: What EXACTLY is wrong with your wrist?

Diet is easy. Don't eat junk, or seriously curtail what and the amount you eat. For meals, eat basic staples -- meat, veggies, fruits.

For some, it's as simple as not drinking soda. That diet or regular. Diet IS less calories, but STILL bloats you.

I don't know what condition you are in now, so it's hard to say anything. If you can run, I'd start with a half mile, 3 times a week. After 2 weeks, push it to 1 mile. Add a half mile every two weeks until you reach the max distance you want to run.

3-5 sets of 10-12 situps/crunches/whatever your favorite ab exercise is.

I can't really comment on upper body work until I know what's wrong with your wrist.

does the treadmill stare back at you?

Forlornly or maybe relief, I can't tell.

have you seen anyone training with a brace that immobilizes the wrist and hand so that the hand and wrist do not turn separately? making them act like one to protect the wrist?

You can do pullups with an imobilized wrist, and you can buy straps or hooks that further take the hands and wrists out of the exercise.

You can also do deadlifts, using the same straps/hooks.

Barbell or dumbell curls.

Dumbell military (over the head) presses. You could also do dumbell bench presses you just won't be able to turn the dumbells, you'll have to keep them, and your wrists straight.

Dumbell shrugs.

Front, rear and side lateral raises with dumbells.

spices like paprika, cajun seasonings Italian seasonings, spices....

good or bad or, in moderation good? do they affect muscle and fat?

If bad, don't tell me about them. The only spice I limit is salt!

Okay, there are a few people here who appear to be in shape and who seem like they may know a thing or two about exercise regimens and diet.

I am starting out all over again in more ways than one. I am looking at a few things and it looks like one could get overwhelmed with the amount of info out there. I've perused a few forums/message boards out there and videos and more. Like with everything else I am sure that most of the info on what I am interested in is outdated, flawed or just plain useless. It's like I don't want to be buying a book on parenting written by by childless nitwits working in the structured environment of lab experiments. So, what do others here do to not only keep in shape but to build strength, agility and reflexes?

I am looking down the road at a mixed martial arts program, but first need to build some stamina and buy or get fitted for a wrist brace. I am putting off any surgery because of the potential nerve damage that would involve.

I never really had to work hard at being in shape before, until my metabolism slowed down what with getting older, quitting smoking and sitting at a fukin' computer console, so some constructive advice mixed with witty insults and poignancy would be greatly appreciated. :eusa_shhh:

Diet is easy. Don't eat junk, or seriously curtail what and the amount you eat. For meals, eat basic staples -- meat, veggies, fruits.

For some, it's as simple as not drinking soda. That diet or regular. Diet IS less calories, but STILL bloats you.

I don't know what condition you are in now, so it's hard to say anything. If you can run, I'd start with a half mile, 3 times a week. After 2 weeks, push it to 1 mile. Add a half mile every two weeks until you reach the max distance you want to run.

I can't really comment on upper body work until I know what's wrong with your wrist.
I'm in awe, Gunny backs me. Sigh. (Hey Gunny, ain't that worth rep?) LOL!

Okay, there are a few people here who appear to be in shape and who seem like they may know a thing or two about exercise regimens and diet. :eusa_shhh:

according to quest...

what a fukin' mess, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soda is easy to throw away and I never do anything diet or sugar free.
Diet is easy.

knees? :lol:

what about swimming and biking? I'll try running. fuk it....knee replacements have come a long way. :lol:

I have started push ups on the floor where I hold my wrist at an awkward angle, but I need to build up some more strength in and around the wrist. I started using a door frame to push away from and it seems to be working. I set my body away from the frame and lean forward into the frame. I'm wide enough in the shoulder area that I get a good stance and form. I am looking to put a bar across the frame so that I cam keep my arms tighter to the shoulders. I'll start on the floor again after I build up more support along the forearm and hand to protect the wrist.

I can use machines but hate them. I like free weights but it is obvious after a certain load I am being foolish.

I want to strength train and build up stamina so that I can take some mixed martial arts stuff. where there's a will there's a way.

---

Last edited:

Forum List

Back