Are There Any "Gear Heads" Here Besides Me?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I'm planning on building a hotrod. Not like any other I've ever owned. I mean one with OBSCENE horse power. It's going to be an older vehicle. I'm wanting a '41 Willy's, but finding one that's not all done but still in building shape is proving to be harder than I thought. So I may go with something like an older Chevy Nova or something. Something small and light. So here is where I'm debating. I want a big block in it, and I've been having a hard time choosing between either a 426 Hemi or a Chevy big block. Either way it's getting a blower. I want to make 1,000 horse power plus. So, my question to any and all gear heads that may be here on this board is, do have any experience with either a big block Chevy engine or a Hemi? Which do you think I should use?

Last edited:
I've built a few engines in H.S. but that was years ago. I would go with the Chevy just because more parts and after market equipment is available for them so they're cheaper. Also, Chevy big block parts are interchangeable with other big blocks. For instance, you can put a 427 crank in a 454 block. It's the same deal with Chevy small blocks. You can't do that with Mopars.

But a Hemi does have that "eye wash" value doesn't it?

Have you seen this site?:
Kit Car at www.streetbeasts.com: Street Rods, Street Rods For Sale, Replica Kit Car, Classic Hot Rods, Home

A '41 Willys with an elephant motor would look sweet no? The '34 would look nice with a blown 454 in it, even though it's a Ford. Maybe an old flathead would do? Ah, so many choices!

With exception of the Hemi most Dodge big block parts will interchange. I have a 71 Power Wagon I bought in 1978. Rod has put every big block Dodge made in it at one time or another. Back in the ole days when we couldn't afford anything else I'd drag in old beaters I'd find for lil of nothing and he'd put the egines and tranny's back for the old pickup. He'd swap out whatever was needed at the time.

An old Dodge would be the preference on this end.

I've built a few engines in H.S. but that was years ago. I would go with the Chevy just because more parts and after market equipment is available for them so they're cheaper. Also, Chevy big block parts are interchangeable with other big blocks. For instance, you can put a 427 crank in a 454 block. It's the same deal with Chevy small blocks. You can't do that with Mopars.

But a Hemi does have that "eye wash" value doesn't it?

Have you seen this site?:
Kit Car at www.streetbeasts.com: Street Rods, Street Rods For Sale, Replica Kit Car, Classic Hot Rods, Home

A '41 Willys with an elephant motor would look sweet no? The '34 would look nice with a blown 454 in it, even though it's a Ford. Maybe an old flathead would do? Ah, so many choices!

Hey MS, thanks for input brother. Yeah I'm a retired Harley Davidson Technician. I've built some over the top, bad ass Harley engines as well as small block Chevy's. And you're correct about the interchancability of the Chevy engines. The same thing is true with small blocks as well as the big blocks. Although the hemi, "elephant," DOES have that eye popping effect, it's heavier than a big block Chevy. But, here, I saw this '41 Willy's at one of the Street Vibrations hotrod events they have in Reno, and as you can see, it has a big block Chevy in it. Not blown though. The one I'm going to build WILL have an 871 Weind huffer on it....

3223857621_bc1cfd568d_b.jpg

3223859247_9ea2ee012e_b.jpg

Last edited:
With exception of the Hemi most Dodge big block parts will interchange. I have a 71 Power Wagon I bought in 1978. Rod has put every big block Dodge made in it at one time or another. Back in the ole days when we couldn't afford anything else I'd drag in old beaters I'd find for lil of nothing and he'd put the egines and tranny's back for the old pickup. He'd swap out whatever was needed at the time.

VERY cool! Love the old Power Wagons. Got any pics of it?

VERY cool! Love the old Power Wagons. Got any pics of it?
Sure but it is just the same old ugly beast it has always been. Had it fully restored in 1984 and painted with a pearl finish. I was moving a fifth wheel for my mom with it and her hired man got in it and took off the tail gate with the hitch pin. Gave it up to being a show piece after that. We just keep it around for ole times sake.

Yeah, the old Willys' are pretty cool huh?:
CIMG1285.JPG

CIMG1306.JPG

CIMG1307.JPG

CIMG1318.JPG

The black one with flames is particularly sweet but I don't wanna' try to influence your decision or nothin... :lol:

Hey I notice yer' from Reno, have you ever been to the Reno Air Races? I went in 1972 and have been a huge Unlimited fan ever since. A friend of the family, Gordy Richardson flew in the T-6 class that year so we got to hang out in the pits. The RB-51, "Rare Bear", "Conquest I" and "Stiletto" are my personal faves. I went to the California Air Races in 1979 and saw the RB-51 win it's last race.

Last edited:
Yeah, the old Willys' are pretty cool huh?:
CIMG1285.JPG

CIMG1306.JPG

The black one with flames is particularly sweet but I don't wanna' try to influence your decision or nothin... :lol:
I like the red one sitting behind the silver one in the top pic, and yeah the one with flames is sweet too. I want to build one set up like that with a dropped front axle, chrome of course, and the rear end narrowed just so that the outside edge of the rear slicks are flush with the fender, and then the BLOWER with that smaller scoop sticking out of the hood. I don't care for them slammed. I want it to be a drag car for the street.

Hey I notice yer' from Reno, have you ever been to the Reno Air Races? I went in 1972 and have been a huge Unlimited fan ever since. A friend of the family, Gordy Richardson flew in the T-6 class that year so we got to hang out in the pits. The RB-51, "Rare Bear", "Conquest I" and "Stiletto" are my personal faves. I went to the California Air Races in 1979 and saw the RB-51 win it's last race.
I went to the Air Races once while I lived in Reno. It was pretty fun. I did move back to Wisconsin just recently though, and it's nice to be home. I'm sick of the damn cold already, but it's still good to be home.

Forum List

Back