EV's Fuel Cost 3 Times Less Than Gas

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Republicans prefer-----prefer to pay higher fuel costs, while simultaneously forcing taxpayers and energy consumers to fund both sides of the War On Terror, then-----then they have the audacity to call themselves fiscal conservatives -pewsh!-

Ever wonder how fueling a gasoline car compares in cost to fueling a plug-in electric car? At this week's annual Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA) conference in Washington, D.C., the Department of Energy’s David Danielson announced a handy new web tool called eGallon that allows you to do just that. The site shows that on average in the U.S., it costs $3.65 per gallon in gasoline to fuel a car and the equivalent of only $1.14 per gallon to fuel a car with electricity.

The Mayor of Indianapolis Is Electrifying his City

I have relatively cheap electricity, plus I watch the bills come in, versus what they were when I paying for liquid fuels, and the EV certainly doesn't use near as much $$.

When will the radical left stop whining about only controlling 2/3 of the federal government? Republicans have nothing to do with the manufacture of electric cars but it seems that limousine liberals think everybody should be able to shell out 50-75 grand for a toy that can only travel 30 miles without a charge. For some reason radical liberals have gotten it into their pretty little empty heads that taxpayers should finance electric charge stations for the convenience of rich libs.

When will the radical left stop whining about only controlling 2/3 of the federal government? Republicans have nothing to do with the manufacture of electric cars but it seems that limousine liberals think everybody should be able to shell out 50-75 grand for a toy that can only travel 30 miles without a charge. For some reason radical liberals have gotten it into their pretty little empty heads that taxpayers should finance electric charge stations for the convenience of rich libs.

Poor ol' senile Whitey doesn't seem to realize the Tesla gets over 250 miles on a single charge, and can do 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds. Not only that, top end of 134 mph, in an automobile that recieved the highest marks that Consumer Reports has ever given a vehicle.

And, as we post, several companies are working on duplicating in a manufacturing process the batteries they have built in the lab that have 4 to 10 times the capacity of the present lithium ion. That would give the Tesla S and Tesla X over 1000 miles on a charge.

And both the S and X are very roomy vehicles, with ample room for luggage. As for price, the price of a Buick SUV, nowhere near the quality of the Tesla X, is 52 K. And the Tesla S is in the same price range as similiar quality sports sedans.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVshLljwQFI]Tesla Model X introduction - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCG-WqpVnI]Car and Driver: Tested : 2013 Tesla Model S - Review - CAR and DRIVER - YouTube[/ame]

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges comparison, i.e. Ford Focus Electric compared to the Ford Focus ST.

UPDATED: Ford Focus Electric vs Ford Focus ST

Posted on December 7, 2012 by Zachary Shahan

So,… when I ran my comparisons of a Ford Focus Electric and Ford Focus S the other day, I thought the Ford Focus S was the most similar non-electric model to the Ford Focus Electric. Woops. After some discussions with readers, it seems the more appropriate comparison (for current Ford Focus options) is the Ford Focus ST, which has a base price of $23,700.

Additionally, readers seemed to make good arguments that maintenance costs really need to be included in these comparisons. So, without running through all the text in this post that I included in the other one, let’s quickly jump to some comparisons based on a similar variety of assumptions but with these changes incorporated (followed by a bunch of other considerations, mostly brought up by readers, that you really should consider):
Ford Focus Electric vs Ford Focus ST

Two assumptions that stay constant below are that the Ford Focus Electric has a combined MPGe rating of 105 and the Ford Focus ST has a combined MPG rating of 22. I also keep constant the assumption that average additional maintenance costs per mile (for the Ford Focus ST) = 4¢. Also, figures listed below are for the total cost at the end of the year. These factors as well as the ones I change below can be changed in this spreadsheet.

Example 1

Assumptions:
  • average miles driven per year = 20,000
  • average price of electricity when charging your EV = 12¢/kWh
  • average price of gas per gallon = $4.50
  • tax rebates = $10,000
Result: start saving money in year 2 (not including health savings and the many other factors listed at the end of this post).

More comparisons ☞ here

BTW, according to the eGallon, today in the state of Washington the cost of a gallon of gasoline is on average $3.87, the equivalent amount of electricity is-----is .84¢. Are you righties sure you want to use 'cost comparison' as your argument against EV's? -- knock yerself out!

Why do you think I'm pretty?

The problem isn't fuel cost. Never been the argument.

So the argument is the lower lifecycle cost? The less emissions benefit? The economic benefit of using American produced and distributed fuels and the advantage this leads to in a foreign policy sense? The increased quiet of EVs over their fire breathing brethren? The morally questionable aspect of demanding a mode of transport fueled by the same stuff our parents used which somehow requires us to be as wasteful of valuable feedstock and environmentally ignorant!!

Now I am confused, if those things don't matter, what is the argument?

Republicans prefer-----prefer to pay higher fuel costs, while simultaneously forcing taxpayers and energy consumers to fund both sides of the War On Terror, then-----then they have the audacity to call themselves fiscal conservatives -pewsh!-

Ever wonder how fueling a gasoline car compares in cost to fueling a plug-in electric car? At this week's annual Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA) conference in Washington, D.C., the Department of Energy’s David Danielson announced a handy new web tool called eGallon that allows you to do just that. The site shows that on average in the U.S., it costs $3.65 per gallon in gasoline to fuel a car and the equivalent of only $1.14 per gallon to fuel a car with electricity.

I highly question the sanity of this calculator..

Nissan Leaf is 75miles on a 29KWhr charge.. At 0.30 per KWHr that's about $9.00.
Works out to $0.12 a mile..

<< EDIT -- OK Average electric cost is more like 0.15/KWhr. So it's $0.06 per mile for the Leaf>>

At $3.65/gallon -- an ICE car getting 30mpg works out to be about.......... $0.12 a mile.

Definately NOT the 3:1 number that they quoted. ESPECIALLY not if you live on West Coast or N'East Coast.

Last edited:

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges comparison, i.e. Ford Focus Electric compared to the Ford Focus ST.

So,&#8230; when I ran my comparisons of a Ford Focus Electric and Ford Focus S the other day, I thought the Ford Focus S was the most similar non-electric model to the Ford Focus Electric. Woops. After some discussions with readers, it seems the more appropriate comparison (for current Ford Focus options) is the Ford Focus ST, which has a base price of $23,700.

Additionally, readers seemed to make good arguments that maintenance costs really need to be included in these comparisons. So, without running through all the text in this post that I included in the other one, let&#8217;s quickly jump to some comparisons based on a similar variety of assumptions but with these changes incorporated (followed by a bunch of other considerations, mostly brought up by readers, that you really should consider):

Two assumptions that stay constant below are that the Ford Focus Electric has a combined MPGe rating of 105 and the Ford Focus ST has a combined MPG rating of 22. I also keep constant the assumption that average additional maintenance costs per mile (for the Ford Focus ST) = 4¢. Also, figures listed below are for the total cost at the end of the year. These factors as well as the ones I change below can be changed in this spreadsheet.

Example 1

Assumptions:
  • tax rebates = $10,000
Result: start saving money in year 2 (not including health savings and the many other factors listed at the end of this post).

More comparisons &#9758; here

BTW, according to the eGallon, today in the state of Washington the cost of a gallon of gasoline is on average $3.87, the equivalent amount of electricity is-----is .84¢. Are you righties sure you want to use 'cost comparison' as your argument against EV's? -- knock yerself out!

No it's not.. An eGallon doesn't exist in the real world.

Take the Leaf example I put up before. If an gas vehicle gets 30mpg, then to fill my Leaf up for 30 miles I have to provide 30/75 * 29KWhrs * $0.12/KWhr == $1.39..

In California that would cost me $2.30 something.

That's NOT $0.84.. So no freaking idea what an eGallon is --- but it's part of the hype being used on consumers..

Maybe the problem is not on the "righties" side. But a basic inability for leftists to do the 6th grade math...

Last edited:

I highly question the sanity of this calculator..

Nissan Leaf is 75miles on a 29KWhr charge.. At 0.30 per KWHr that's about $9.00.
Works out to $0.12 a mile..

<< EDIT -- OK Average electric cost is more like 0.15/KWhr. So it's $0.06 per mile for the Leaf>>

At $3.65/gallon -- an ICE car getting 30mpg works out to be about.......... $0.12 a mile.

Definately NOT the 3:1 number that they quoted. ESPECIALLY not if you live on West Coast or N'East Coast.

Solar on the roof and you power your home, fuel your vehicle, and get a few dimes back from the utility at the end of the year. Seems the way to go.

So,… when I ran my comparisons of a Ford Focus Electric and Ford Focus S the other day, I thought the Ford Focus S was the most similar non-electric model to the Ford Focus Electric. Woops. After some discussions with readers, it seems the more appropriate comparison (for current Ford Focus options) is the Ford Focus ST, which has a base price of $23,700.

Additionally, readers seemed to make good arguments that maintenance costs really need to be included in these comparisons. So, without running through all the text in this post that I included in the other one, let’s quickly jump to some comparisons based on a similar variety of assumptions but with these changes incorporated (followed by a bunch of other considerations, mostly brought up by readers, that you really should consider):

Example 1

Assumptions:
  • tax rebates = $10,000

Take the Leaf example I put up before. If an gas vehicle gets 30mpg, then to fill my Leaf up for 30 miles I have to provide 30/75 * 29KWhrs * $0.12/KWhr == $1.39..

That's NOT $0.84.. So no freaking idea what an eGallon is --- but it's part of the hype being used on consumers..

Maybe the problem is not on the "righties" side. But a basic inability for leftists to do the 6th grade math...

Appears to me that you are the one argueing with basic math. Tell me when you figure out a way to make your own gasoline or diesel that is at a reasonable cost.

When do you start saving money on a $95,000 Tesla? Who builds the dream world charging stations for the limousine liberals to juice their toys? Who says the charges won't go to $100 per volt when people have no other choice? Gasoline is expensive because the administration wants it to be expensive for a couple of reasons. #1 to force Americans to change their lifestyles, #2 to punish Americans for their decadence. #3 to make left wing crooks who peddle fake carbon credits and contribute to radical left wing politicians rich.

What's going to happen if the lefte dream world becomes a reality and there are 255 Million electric passenger vehicles humming along? What happens when the power grid can't take the pressure of juicing all those cars? Will they click on another couple of windmills and throw out a solar blanket or two? Most likely they will demand more fossil burning or nuclear generators and/or they will restrict private transportation to government officials and the elite and the rest of us will be crammed into smelly buses like a bunch of Bolivians.

Taxes....mostly wasted, funding unfair liberal schemes .. Just sayin..check out the links for your State & local

--------------------------:argue:

What is the United States national gas tax rate?
The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon (cpg) and 24.4 cents per gallon (cpg) for diesel fuel. On average, as of April 2012, state and local taxes add 31.1 cents to gasoline and 30.2 cents to diesel for a total US average fuel tax of 49.5 cents (cpg) per gallon for gas and 54.6 cents per gallon (cpg) for diesel.

What are the specific taxes for each state?
Some states charge an excise tax while other states have a flat tax. The below table displays state taxes plus fees, plus the 18.4 cents-per-gallon (cpg) federal excise tax. Additionally, some local counties may additionally charge an excise tax on gas, which is not reflected in this table. Please consult your specific local government for more information.

What do the state and local governments generate in fuel taxes?
For a chart of state and local revenues generated by fuel taxes, please click here.

National and State Gas Taxes (Fuel Taxes) in the United States - GasPriceWatch.com

Last edited:

Example 1

Assumptions:
  • tax rebates = $10,000

Appears to me that you are the one argueing with basic math. Tell me when you figure out a way to make your own gasoline or diesel that is at a reasonable cost.

just to add to the basic math, maint labor costs are going to be a bit more costly as are repair parts.

just to add to the basic math, maint labor costs are going to be a bit more costly as are repair parts.

How so?

The problem isn't fuel cost. Never been the argument.

So the argument is the lower lifecycle cost? The less emissions benefit? The economic benefit of using American produced and distributed fuels and the advantage this leads to in a foreign policy sense? The increased quiet of EVs over their fire breathing brethren? The morally questionable aspect of demanding a mode of transport fueled by the same stuff our parents used which somehow requires us to be as wasteful of valuable feedstock and environmentally ignorant!!

Now I am confused, if those things don't matter, what is the argument?

The argument is the same as it is in the hundreds of threads where hypocrites who don't actually own one of these cars tell everyone else to buy one.

Last edited:
please feel free to come to my house and dump the 20k needed to rebuild it so I can spend more money to get an ev car.

I know what I just said was dumb, but it shows how dumb the op is. not everyone can do what is needed to get an ev car, but that's somehow the gops fault.

No, it is not the GOP's fault that the present batteries are expensive enough that most long range EV's are beyond the budget of the middle class. Short range EV's, 75 to 100 miles, are good for those with long daily urban commutes. But of limited value to those not in an urban setting.

What is amazing, at least to me, is the number of people that identify with the GOP that make absolutely nonsense statements concerning the EV's. Almost as if it is a personal insult that the technology is maturing to the point where EV's are practical.

As the capacity of the batteries continue to increase, and the cost comes down, EV's will continue to increase there market share as people realize the savings that they represent, particularly if partnered with home solar.

Forum List

Back