Everquest 2

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
Well, I've been playing this since shortly after it came out at the begining of November, and I must say it is at least as addictive as the original, possibly more so.

The amount of territory available for exploration is really quite impressive. The landscapes are imaginative, richly detailed, and sometimes just make you stop and look.

The graphics are simply amazing.

For example here's a screenshot I took the other day.

EL3-1.png

There is an inordinate amount of diversity in this game. There are 12 playable races, like trolls, elves, dwarves, and halflings, all of whom can pick to become 24 different final adventuring classes, from Wizard to Paladin, to Necromancer, to Mystic, to Monk, Priest, Ranger, and more.

There is also a very extensive artisan option in this game, where players can choose the non-combat professions of weaponsmith, alchemist, tailor, and several others.

An aspect new to this edition of Everquest is what is called instancing. In the old game sometimes popular "zones" (sprawling self-contained levels containing hundreds of monsters of a roughly equal level of difficulty) would become too crowded with people. Instancing allows for multiple versions of the same zone to exist simultaneously (like parrallel dimensions) to spread the population out and prevent overcrowding.

This change maintains the feel that you are in a crowded online environment with lots of other people but limits the competition for popular monsters and the over-crowding of zones.

As with the old Everquest, this game is entirely open ended. You can do whatever you want. Progress as slowly or as quickly as you want. Go where you want. Do what you want. There is no ultimate objective, but instead a never ending series of self-improvement objectives to get, for instance, a better piece of equipment, more money, a higher level, or just to see some neat locations and monsters.

This game is pretty fun.

EQ2 sucks. WoW roxors your soxors.

Seriously, though. WoW is much better than EQ2 and is only rivaled by Dark Age of Camelot, though, once the wrinkles are smoothed, it'll probably be better than that.

Well I've never played either WoW of DAoC.

I like Blizzard and I'm a huge fan of both the Warcraft and especially the Starcraft RTS's (give us a sequel already!!), but frankly I don't like the art of WoW. Where WoW is cartoonish, EQ2 is realistic. I like that better.

Obviously there is a greater diversity in EQ2 with more races and classes to pick from than in WoW, I know that from research.

From hearsay it seems WoW also has a great deal less content, and a much quicker progression. I've been playing EQ2 since the middle of November pretty regularly, I'm level 29 with a max of 50 and I can honestly say I've seen only a fraction of the game.

Lastly, Sony has been in the business of MMORPGs for longer than Blizzard. They know what difficulties to expect and they know what the customers want.

Zhukov said:
Well I've never played either WoW of DAoC.

I like Blizzard and I'm a huge fan of both the Warcraft and especially the Starcraft RTS's (give us a sequel already!!), but frankly I don't like the art of WoW. Where WoW is cartoonish, EQ2 is realistic. I like that better.

Obviously there is a greater diversity in EQ2 with more races and classes to pick from than in WoW, I know that from research.

From hearsay it seems WoW also has a great deal less content, and a much quicker progression. I've been playing EQ2 since the middle of November pretty regularly, I'm level 29 with a max of 50 and I can honestly say I've seen only a fraction of the game.

Lastly, Sony has been in the business of MMORPGs for longer than Blizzard. They know what difficulties to expect and they know what the customers want.

Despite all this, WoW has gotten better reviews, has sold better, and has had fewer subscription cancellations in the same period of time as EQ2. There is also a PvP system in place, giving people stuff to do after they reach lvl 60 (the cap). The grind is less boring since there are a LOT more quests, as well. Oh, and if you think SOE knows how to give the people what they want, try playing Star Wars: Galaxies. That game might as well still be in beta and the entire base system sucks. From what I hear, EQ2 doesn't really introduce anything new, and stagnation leads to death in a free market.

Personally I detest PvP, so I don't mind that EQ2 doesn't have it.

Star Wars Galaxies was released pre-maturely so as not to come out too near to EQ2. At least that's what I think. They didn't want both to come out at the same time, and they knew they could make their money on the 'Star Wars' name alone, even if all they were selling was crap. They screwed alot of people and I'm glad I didn't buy it.

It is universally accepted that the WoW graphics engine is a dinosaur and a joke compared to EQ2. EQ2 on the other hand was designed to support advances in technology for years to come. This is where Sony's experience comes into play. They've learned from the mistakes of EQ.

Personally I don't care too much about reviews or sales or customer retention. Our server is too crowded as it is.

As for not introducing anything new, that's just wrong. WoW is EQ+.

EQ2 is a new game, with all manner of new things not seen anywhere else.

The crafting route alone is it's own nuanced and entertaining game. In WoW you put items in boxes and click combine.

Ultimately for me, I am an MMORPG veteran...

I would say that EQ2 offers more for MMORPG veterans while WoW is much more appropriate to MMORPG newbs. EQ2 has some very compelling concepts that appeal to veterans tired of the same old thing. WoW has that same old thing but delivers it much faster, more frenetically, and fun. EQ2 is more pensive and methodical. WoW is more damn-the-torpedos let's-have-a-good-time-or-die-trying.

EQ2 may keep players longer as a result of appealing to players with longer attention spans. WoW may enjoy a much quicker success, outdoing EQ2 in sales, but only time will tell for how long players are interested.

http://www.grimwell.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1153

This guy thinks as brilliant a flash as it is, WoW is still a flash in the pan. I doubt it will remain popular as long as old EQ.

EQ2 on the other hand is designed for the long haul.

Forum List

Back