Please help! Wireless 802.1g

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
Hi, there. Long time no see.

I am able to connect fine on my brother's g4 laptop with airport, but not on an HP running XP. Here is some info, any help appreciated:

Under Network Connections:
1394 Net Adaptor-enabled
WAN Network driver-enabled
Wireless-G Notebook adaptor-enabled

Wireless Network Status:
General tab:
speed: 11.0 mbps
Support tab:
address type: Assigned by DHCP
IP address: 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Wireless Network connection properties:
General tab-
Connect using: Wireless-G notebook adaptor
Connection uses: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer sharing, Qos Packet Scheduler, Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)-- ALL CHECKED

Wireless Networks tab-
available networks: linksys
preferred networks: linksys

Auithentication-
Enable network access control using IEEE 802.1x-CHECKED
EAP type: Smart card or other certificate

In Internet Explorer, under Internet Options-
LAN settings: Automatically detect settings-CHECKED

Let me know iof you need more info, this is frustrating the hell out of me because I feel as if just one setting is off which is preventing me from connecting! Thanks, in advance!

im using a 802.11b with a linksys G router. it sounds like its a setting someplace and not an incompatabilty though.
but dont take my word for it, im real new to the wireless world myself. i got one for christmas and im still learning

nycflasher said:
Hi, there. Long time no see.

I am able to connect fine on my brother's g4 laptop with airport, but not on an HP running XP. Here is some info, any help appreciated:

Under Network Connections:
1394 Net Adaptor-enabled
WAN Network driver-enabled
Wireless-G Notebook adaptor-enabled

Wireless Network Status:
General tab:
speed: 11.0 mbps
Support tab:
address type: Assigned by DHCP
IP address: 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Wireless Network connection properties:
General tab-
Connect using: Wireless-G notebook adaptor
Connection uses: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer sharing, Qos Packet Scheduler, Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)-- ALL CHECKED

Wireless Networks tab-
available networks: linksys
preferred networks: linksys

Auithentication-
Enable network access control using IEEE 802.1x-CHECKED
EAP type: Smart card or other certificate

In Internet Explorer, under Internet Options-
LAN settings: Automatically detect settings-CHECKED

Let me know iof you need more info, this is frustrating the hell out of me because I feel as if just one setting is off which is preventing me from connecting! Thanks, in advance!

If you have more than one computer on the system, make sure they are not using the same IP address. You might need to change the last number from 103 to 104. Your book should tell you what your spread is.

Johnney said:
im using a 802.11b with a linksys G router. it sounds like its a setting someplace and not an incompatabilty though.
but dont take my word for it, im real new to the wireless world myself. i got one for christmas and im still learning

I would assume you are using the router as the DHCP server. Make sure it is set up to send a different address to each computer, if you have duplicated addresses you will not be able to connect.

You can most easily do this by naming the computers and then setting the IP addresses to go to specific computer names.

no1tovote4 said:
I would assume you are using the router as the DHCP server. Make sure it is set up to send a different address to each computer, if you have duplicated addresses you will not be able to connect.

You can most easily do this by naming the computers and then setting the IP addresses to go to specific computer names.
already done big daddy. i have 2 that are hardwired and one laptop wireless. was a little tougher than i thought it was going to be, but in the end, and with a little cussin, it worked out well.

Johnney said:
already done big daddy. i have 2 that are hardwired and one laptop wireless. was a little tougher than i thought it was going to be, but in the end, and with a little cussin, it worked out well.

Very good! Next time will be even easier. Soon all your friends will be calling for your computer expertise!

no1tovote4 said:
Very good! Next time will be even easier. Soon all your friends will be calling for your computer expertise!
they already do! i volunteer my computer repair to my moms church and to elderly.

see, i do do good things now and again

I just set up a 802.11g network (I had an 802.11b network but wanted more speed).

Anyway, here's my experience. I orginally had a Linksys router and network laptop card for my 802.11b, so I thought I'd stick with them. Well, the 802.11g wireless router worked fine, but the 802.11g card did not. First the signal strength was never above 65% (with the 802.11b, it was always 100%). And if I tried signing into work via VPN (Virtual Private Network) it would cut out on me.

So then I tried a NetGear wireless card and had better luck with it. For one the signal strength is around 90-100%. However, it still cuts out on me when I try to sign into work. I changed a setting on my VPN client and it works fine now.

Another thing that I used to do but found out yesterday was not a good idea was to use WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol) and nothing else. I now set my router up so that only certain MAC addresses can use it in addition to WEP.

The reason for switching? My NetGear card has a "scan" feature. So I tried it to see what my signal strength was. Lo and behold, there is suddenly another network on my system on a different channel (default is 6 and this one was on 3 and the name was "Beldin3"). So apparently, I had been hacked. So right away, I reconfigured my router to use MAC addresses along with WEP. After monitoring my network, I haven't had a problem (but it has only been a day)

no1tovote4 said:
Yeah Johnney, before you know, you'll have your glasses taped and start wearing a pocket protector.... :):):)

KarlMarx said:
Yeah Johnney, before you know, you'll have your glasses taped and start wearing a pocket protector.... :):):)
oh hell no! i jsut put everything in my coat

Forum List

Back