Even the Ice Cream Truck is now Racist

When you have mental issues just because someone else realizes how racist some things are. ^^^^^ :lol:
Racist?

If the historians hadn't drug out the past, most folks?

The only lyrics we ever knew as kids growing up?

Ignorance of something being racist doesnt make it less racist. The judgement is on the song not the millions of kids that had no idea it was racist.

No, the lyrics of OLE ZIP COON adapted to the old Irish Scottish folk tune are racist, the tune itself is not racist. THE LYRICS WERE.

If white supremacists adapted racist lyrics to a traditional African folk tune, or a Mo-town hit, or a rap hit, would you then be in favor of banning that piece of Black heritage?

I think hate is clouding your logic here. . .

Tunes, notes and melodies are NOT racist. Words and ideas are.

"If white supremacists adapted racist lyrics to a traditional African folk tune, or a Mo-town hit, or a rap hit, would you then be in favor of banning that piece of Black heritage?"

Yes if it had been taken over by white racists to the point racism was attributed to that song I would be in favor of banning it. I'm in favor of banning anything that makes white racists feel good about being racists. I want them to suffer from being deprived of things that promote racism.

Butterfly is RIGHT those "good humor" trucks used to sell ------a vanilla ice cream pop coated in dark chocolate-----reminded me of an OREO COOKIE---
and everyone knows what an OREO is

When we had Good Humor Trucks they only had bells and did not play any tunes. I was only later with other company trucks that played music

When you have mental issues just because someone else realizes how racist some things are. ^^^^^ :lol:
Racist?

Ignorance of something being racist doesnt make it less racist. The judgement is on the song not the millions of kids that had no idea it was racist.

No, the lyrics of OLE ZIP COON adapted to the old Irish Scottish folk tune are racist, the tune itself is not racist. THE LYRICS WERE.

If white supremacists adapted racist lyrics to a traditional African folk tune, or a Mo-town hit, or a rap hit, would you then be in favor of banning that piece of Black heritage?

"If white supremacists adapted racist lyrics to a traditional African folk tune, or a Mo-town hit, or a rap hit, would you then be in favor of banning that piece of Black heritage?"

Yes if it had been taken over by white racists to the point racism was attributed to that song I would be in favor of banning it. I'm in favor of banning anything that makes white racists feel good about being racists. I want them to suffer from being deprived of things that promote racism.

So what next? Grits?

You know southerners prefer grits. . . and confederate soldiers ate grits every morning before battle.

How about cotton and tobacco? Suppose we ban those too? After all, that is what this is all about. The south would have had no need for slaves or a slave economy with out those commodities. . might as well ban cotton and tobacco while we are at it.

If you think things other than speech and ideas can be racist, might as well start banning foods, commodities, hell, there is a lot of things we can call racist now. . .

Dude, you have totally lost it.

Calling things that are not even ideas "racist?"

:rolleyes:

Racist?

Butterfly is RIGHT those "good humor" trucks used to sell ------a vanilla ice cream pop coated in dark chocolate-----reminded me of an OREO COOKIE---

When we had Good Humor Trucks they only had bells and did not play any tunes. I was only later with other company trucks that played music

The old style "cabinet" truck that was in my grandparent's neighborhood in the 80's also only had bells.

It was close to this, but not quite. Guy still wore the old uniform.

th

You know what's funny?

I just always thought it was all just annoying music. Nothing of it ever smacked of racism to me. I had no idea that there was even a song called "Turkey In The Straw" or that it was played by minstrels in blackface.

I just thought it was stupid music ice cream trucks played.

But now, because of some overly hyper-sensitive piss ant, the music is now "racist".

Makes me wanna' go out and buy the fuckin' album...

Racist?

So what next? Grits?

You know southerners prefer grits. . . and confederate soldiers ate grits every morning before battle.

How about cotton and tobacco? Suppose we ban those too? After all, that is what this is all about. The south would have had no need for slaves or a slave economy with out those commodities. . might as well ban cotton and tobacco while we are at it.

If you think things other than speech and ideas can be racist, might as well start banning foods, commodities, hell, there is a lot of things we can call racist now. . .

I like grits and I am not a southener nor do I associate grits with racists. I associate it with industrious Black people surviving.

I dont smoke tobacco so I dont care if its banned. I dont associate it with slavery.

I associate cotton with slavery but not to the point I would care if it was banned or not.

You are the one that has lost it or youre not intelligent enough to follow the logical course. If an object is observed it will be associated to an idea already existing in your head. Same thing with sounds. Thats how the brain works. We associate everything with something we already know. We form new or remember old ideas with those association. Thats how we learn.

You know what's funny?

I just always thought it was all just annoying music. Nothing of it ever smacked of racism to me. I had no idea that there was even a song called "Turkey In The Straw" or that it was played by minstrels in blackface.

But now, because of some overly hyper-sensitive piss ant, the music is now "racist".

No one is stopping you and stop whining about someone finding it racist. Youre allowed to believe its not racist. It just wont change the fact that the company is changing the music.

Racist?

The old style "cabinet" truck that was in my grandparent's neighborhood in the 80's also only had bells.

th

Look at that RACIST ICE CREAM POP---on that
WHITE TRUCK

Racist?

th

That looks like it. Stopped seeing in the mid 60's
It was replaced by a Mr Softie Truck that served soft ice cream

Racist?

So what next? Grits?

I like grits and I am not a southener nor do I associate grits with racists. I associate it with industrious Black people surviving.

I dont smoke tobacco so I dont care if its banned. I dont associate it with slavery.

I associate cotton with slavery but not to the point I would care if it was banned or not.

You are the one that has lost it or youre not intelligent enough to follow the logical course. If an object is observed it will be associated to an idea already existing in your head. Same thing with sounds. Thats how the brain works. We associate everything with something we already know. We form new or remember old ideas with those association. Thats how we learn.

Ahhh. . . So it only matters if YOU associate something with slavery. . ?

Who gives a shit about anyone else, that it?

Racist?

So what next? Grits?

Ahhh. . . So it only matters if YOU associate something with slavery. . ?

Who gives a shit about anyone else, that it?

It only matters to me if its just me. If there is a group of people that share my associations then it matters to us.

At each of those points I typically dont give a shit about anyone else. I dont need group approval to form an association but when I do its just extra validation when others agree.

Please, for the love of god stop, the planet, I want to get off.

RZA came up with a new ice cream truck jingle because the old one was used in minstrel shows

"Turkey in the Straw" originated from a traditional British tune brought to the American colonies by Scots-Irish immigrants, according to scholar Theodore R. Johnson in his 2014 article for NPR.

The original song has no racial undertones. But the melody to the "Turkey in the Straw" was used by minstrel show performers in blackface and set to very racist lyrics -- and that is how it rose to prominence in the US, Johnson wrote. Ice cream parlors throughout the 1800's commonly played minstrel songs, which were eventually turned into ice cream truck jingles.
"While these associations of "Turkey in the Straw" are not the only part of its legacy, it is undeniable that this melody conjures memories of its racist iterations," Good Humor said in a statement.

It's amazing how hard people look for something to offend them. The RZA is an asshole, and I always liked his music.
It is an ice cream truck jingle!!!! Just go along with it and move on.
Was it comforting?
?
The music was relaxing. I guarantee you no one purchasing ice cream was having racist thoughts.

Have the Rolling Stones ever had to explain themselves for this song?

Read the Lyrics...

Here, let me post them.

Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doin' all right
Hear him whip the women just around midnight
Brown Sugar, how come you taste so good
Brown Sugar, just like a young girl should
Drums beatin' cold, English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wonderin' when it's gonna stop
House boy knows that he's doin' all right
You should have heard him just around midnight
Brown Sugar, how come you dance so good
Brown Sugar, just like a black girl should
I bet your mama was a Cajun Queen,
And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen
I'm no school boy but I know what I like
You should have heard them just around midnight
I said, yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo
How come you, how come you dance so good
Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo
Just like a, just like a black girl should
Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo

You know what's funny?

No one is stopping you and stop whining about someone finding it racist. Youre allowed to believe its not racist. It just wont change the fact that the company is changing the music.

Oh, suck a dick.

You obviously missed my point.

All it takes these days is for some negro to whine that's something racist and BAM! The whole fucking world shifts course to placate them.

Well, fuck that, and fuck them. I'm gonna' go out of my way to piss of negroes until they stop with their bullshit nonsense...

You know what's funny?

Oh, suck a dick.

You obviously missed my point.

All it takes these days is for some negro to whine that's something racist and BAM! The whole fucking world shifts course to placate them.

Well, fuck that, and fuck them. I'm gonna' go out of my way to piss of negroes until they stop with their bullshit nonsense...
Go suck your own dick.

Stop whining. No one Black said anything. The company made the decision without any input from Black people.

No you wont. At least not without being on the internet.

Have the Rolling Stones ever had to explain themselves for this song?

Read the Lyrics...

Here, let me post them.

Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doin' all right
Hear him whip the women just around midnight
Drums beatin' cold, English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wonderin' when it's gonna stop
House boy knows that he's doin' all right
You should have heard him just around midnight
Brown Sugar, how come you dance so good
I bet your mama was a Cajun Queen,
And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen
I'm no school boy but I know what I like
You should have heard them just around midnight
I said, yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo
How come you, how come you dance so good
Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo
Just like a, just like a black girl should
Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo

Dont know if they ever explained themselves but they did edit the lyrics. They didnt whine about it either.

Forum List

Back