EV Owners Facing Soaring Insurance Costs

Deplorable Yankee

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2019
DIXIE
Driving an electric car should be a win-win, saving money and the planet. So David* was shocked when the insurance on his Tesla Model Y came up for renewal, and Aviva refused to cover him again, while several other brands turned him away.

When David did secure a new deal, the annual cost rocketed from £1,200 to more than £5,000.

“My insurer was Aviva from July 2022 to July 2023, but when it was coming up for renewal, I received a letter stating that they would not be covering the
Tesla Model Y any more,” David says. “I am a member of a Tesla UK owners forum, and lots of other people seem to be having the same issue.”

In the Facebook group, members share stories of horror renewal quotes, with increases ranging from 60% (up to £1,100) to a staggering 940% (a jump from £447 to £4,661, according to a screengrab shared by one driver).

Being to costly for the average middle class and working poor is a feature not a bug

Now shut up and eat your bugs to control the weather

Driving an electric car should be a win-win, saving money and the planet. So David* was shocked when the insurance on his Tesla Model Y came up for renewal, and Aviva refused to cover him again, while several other brands turned him away.

When David did secure a new deal, the annual cost rocketed from £1,200 to more than £5,000.

“My insurer was Aviva from July 2022 to July 2023, but when it was coming up for renewal, I received a letter stating that they would not be covering the
Tesla Model Y any more,” David says. “I am a member of a Tesla UK owners forum, and lots of other people seem to be having the same issue.”

In the Facebook group, members share stories of horror renewal quotes, with increases ranging from 60% (up to £1,100) to a staggering 940% (a jump from £447 to £4,661, according to a screengrab shared by one driver).

Being to costly for the average middle class and working poor is a feature not a bug

lol great stuff; these idiots peddling 'climate change' and welfare for EV's are profoundly stupid and easily roped into scams like this EV crap. Created some new billionaires, though, so it must be good for the economy, right? lol

Not only are premiums going up if you get into as much as a fender-bender they will total it rather than pay the robber's repair costs.....The last I heard EV repair labor is $200.00+ a hour.....Over twice the cost of the average ICE car.

LOL....The EV weenies must have thought the specialized equipment and training for repairs was going to come free.

Then there is this:

According to Car and Driver, EVs typically lose more than $5,700 per year, for the first five years on average, and will end up costing owners about $28,500 in five years. Compare this to a gas-powered car, which typically loses less than $3,200 per year or $16,000 over five years.

Read More: The Truth Behind The Terrible Resale Value Of Electric Cars - SlashGear

Sept 29 2023

What we’ll cover​

Are electric vehicles more expensive to insure?​

While electric cars Used to be much costlier to insure compared to their gas-powered counterparts, the gap has recently Narrowed. “When [electric vehicles] were newer, there were fewer repair shops. The batteries alone were quite a bit more expensive,” says Janet Ruiz, director of strategic communications at the Insurance Information Institute.

But as costs have come down — the Department of Energy estimates that the cost of battery packs decreased about 90% between 2008 and 2022 — insurance costs have followed suit. “As the vehicles become more popular, we’re actually seeing insurance for electric cars come closer to those for gas-powered cars,” says Ruiz.

It’s worth noting that the cost to cover your EV can still vary widely depending on its type. According to data from Bankrate, a Chevrolet Bolt driver would pay an average cost of about $2,000 per year for full coverage, while a Tesla Model X owner would pay about $4,300 per year for the same coverage. The site estimates that the average U.S. driver pays about $2,014 per year for full coverage car insurance.

[.....]

`1

Does the Middle Class in England normally drive £100,000 rigs? ... a new Toyota Tacoma runs £20,000 ...

Tesla and Ferreri mechanics charge more than Ford or Nissan mechanics? ... that's unfair ... the Middle Class is entitled to all the benefits of wealth, bar none ... if Lamborghini can't build cars for less than £10,000, they shouldn't be making cars ...

Only SATAN wants higher risks in separate insurance pools ...

Lamborghini_Trattori

The Vaxxed and/or EV owners are feelin' the insurance cabal pinch lately

Seems they know a loosing proposition.....

~S~

Forum List

Back