European Diesels

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I was traveling in Germany the other day, being driven by a local colleague. he was driving a Ford of some kind (mid-sized wagon) with a turboDiesel and a 6 speed.

As we all know, there are sections of the Autobahn where there is essentially no speed limit. On some of those sections, we were going 200kph. I was scared shitless - the max speed limit for tractor-trailers is 80, which means were were overtaking them at a rate of at least 70mph.

How is it that the Europeans get these drivetrains and we don't?

European emission standards are different than those imposed by us by the EPA here in the states.

I once owned a Ford Taunus in Germany that was an awesome, fuel-efficient little car. But, I could bring it back stateside because of the rules.

I'm certain that all the diesel trucks you passed were Mercedes that have twice the fuel efficiency as American trucks.

Unfortunately, almost all of them use the dreadful Bosch CP4 injection pump...turning them into hand grenades with the pins pulled.

US diesel fuel actually DOES NOT MEET THE SPECS for the pump. (Seriously.) When the pump fails, it sends shrapnel through the fuel system, requiring replacement of EVERYTHING, tank to injectors. The repair bill is huge. (On a Ford pickup, it can top $11,000.)

So you are saying that the diesel fuel sold here in the U.S. for passenger cars does not meet the specifications for the FUEL PUMPS in the vehicles (in some cases), causing the fuel pumps to fail.

What does that have to do with the question? I am wondering why the great diesel engines that Ford, Chrysler, and GM are selling in Europe are not available in the U.S. Are you saying that the manufacturers won't subject them to American diesel fuel, knowing that expensive failures will be common? If that were true, then what do VW and BMW know that the others do not?

And tangentially, why doesn't GM sell their Cruze diesel with a stick?

And why doesn't VW sell the Tiguan with their fine 2L diesel, which would seem to be the ideal engine for that vehicle?

Puzzling questions.

So you are saying that the diesel fuel sold here in the U.S. for passenger cars does not meet the specifications for the FUEL PUMPS in the vehicles (in some cases), causing the fuel pumps to fail.

Spot on.

What does that have to do with the question? I am wondering why the great diesel engines that Ford, Chrysler, and GM are selling in Europe are not available in the U.S. Are you saying that the manufacturers won't subject them to American diesel fuel, knowing that expensive failures will be common? If that were true, then what do VW and BMW know that the others do not?

No, I am saying the diesel engines SOLD HERE RIGHT NOW have the hand-grenade Bosch pump, INCLUDING the new VW diesels. (I think BMW uses a different design.) Also the GM Duramax and the Ford 6.7 PowerStroke. (The Cummins 6.7 uses the older Bosch CP3 pump.) It's bad enough that the NHTSA is investigating. There is no warning, it cannot be predicted, and the fix is rarely less than $10,000. GM and VW have been stepping up and fixing them under warranty, while Ford is reaming their customers.

And tangentially, why doesn't GM sell their Cruze diesel with a stick?

Certifying it with the EPA costs too much for the few they would sell.

Forum List

Back