Escaping Christianity

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
I was raised in church, married a Christian, raised my kids in church and currently teach Bible at a Christian school. At the end of this school year (May 2020) I plan to resign as a teacher and stop attending church for one full year. At the end of that year I plan to have my name removed from the church role and afterwards make my atheism public. I love the philosphy, ethics and the culture surrounding Christianity. I just can't live a lie any more. It just can't be healthy. This invisible and silent God dude offers me nothing. I love the Bible and learn a lot from it but the God dude in that book either doesn't exist or has no interest in me. Church attendance is more burdensome than it used to be. I learn more from the Bible studying independently. Kindergarten might be fun for a 6 year old but is painfully boring to a 40 year old.

Any questions? I have lots more to say but I already feel like the post was too long.

I was raised in church, married a Christian, raised my kids in church and currently teach Bible at a Christian school. At the end of this school year (May 2020) I plan to resign as a teacher and stop attending church for one full year. At the end of that year I plan to have my name removed from the church role and afterwards make my atheism public. I love the philosphy, ethics and the culture surrounding Christianity. I just can't live a lie any more. It just can't be healthy. This invisible and silent God dude offers me nothing. I love the Bible and learn a lot from it but the God dude in that book either doesn't exist or has no interest in me. Church attendance is more burdensome than it used to be. I learn more from the Bible studying independently. Kindergarten might be fun for a 6 year old but is painfully boring to a 40 year old.

Any questions? I have lots more to say but I already feel like the post was too long.

So you're going to teach the Bible for an entire year feeling it to be a lie? That's not honest. You need to resign right now.

Does your wife know about all this?

So you're going to teach the Bible for an entire year feeling it to be a lie? That's not honest. You need to resign right now.

People died and killed to keep the Bible out of the hands of the masses because it has great power. Now we have free access to it but never utilize it. I can confidently teach kids to learn and respect the Bible. I will not resign right now. I enjoy teaching. Yes. My wife, kids and one of my students is aware of this.

People died and killed to keep the Bible out of the hands of the masses because it has great power. Now we have free access to it but never utilize it. I can confidently teach kids to learn and respect the Bible. I will not resign right now. I enjoy teaching. Yes. My wife, kids and one of my students is aware of this.

You are not teaching the Bible honestly if you are posing as a Believer while you are doing this. You are doing this for personal gain--getting your "ducks in a row", while dishonestly profiting from the Gospel before you let your atheism out

Listen. I would not do this if I were you.

The Bible gl
You know you're going to hell, right?

No. I am not sure about about any of the hell stuff.

Just poking you buddy. I had a similar situation, and if I had a nickel for each time I was told I was going to hell, I would have a lot of nickels.

I kind of worry that I will lose all my friends and have to start all over. My entire social circle is Christian. Most of them will either be freaked out or pretend to be freaked out because they don't know what else to do. I have already talked to my wife. She isn't going anywhere. My kids are growing up soon anyways. I could lose them just because of the progress of time. My life will likely become worse but pretending to be perfect does some good but some harm. The harm it does to my quality of life outweighs the benefits I get from living a lie. I may keep pretending for a while longer just to make things easier. Who knows?

You are not teaching the Bible honestly if you are posing as a Believer while you are doing this. You are doing this for personal gain--getting your "ducks in a row", while dishonestly profiting from the Gospel before you let your atheism out

Listen. I would not do this if I were you.

What do you think is the best thing to do?

The Bible gl

Just poking you buddy. I had a similar situation, and if I had a nickel for each time I was told I was going to hell, I would have a lot of nickels.

I kind of worry that I will lose all my friends and have to start all over. My entire social circle is Christian. Most of them will either be freaked out or pretend to be freaked out because they don't know what else to do. I have already talked to my wife. She isn't going anywhere. My kids are growing up soon anyways. I could lose them just because of the progress of time. My life will likely become worse but pretending to be perfect does some good but some harm. The harm it does to my quality of life outweighs the benefits I get from living a lie. I may keep pretending for a while longer just to make things easier. Who knows?

So you're going to "keep pretending just to make things easier".

that makes you a coward. From my perspective, it makes you the wolf among sheep. You know that, right?

It WILL get sussed out. And THAT will make you lose your friends.

6 but it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Matthew 18:6 NASB

The Bible gl

that makes you a coward. From my perspective, it makes you the wolf among sheep. You know that, right?

I am an optimist. I am sure everything will work out. I can't figure out how to message you.

The Bible gl

I am an optimist. I am sure everything will work out.

It will not work out because you are purposely making yourself a wolf among sheep. For personal gain you are imposing on the Church. Do not do that. For your own good.

The Bible gl

I am an optimist. I am sure everything will work out. I can't figure out how to message you.

Right, I shut all that down. Too many shady characters on this board.

The Bible gl

It will not work out because you are purposely making yourself a wolf among sheep. For personal gain you are imposing on the Church. Do not do that. For your own good.

This isn't appropriate for a public discourse.

I have way too many questions to get to the bottom of your concerns. I am not necessarily doing what is in my own my best interest. There are other people involved in my situation. You have to remember. I don't believe in the invisible and silent God that lives in the cave where only the holy men are allowed to go. When the holy men come back from the cave to tell me stuff with a serious, convincing and sincere face it appears suspicious to me. Why can't I go in the cave too?

If God has nothing to say to me then I am under no obligation to play by His rules. Just because He tells you the rules doesn't men He shares that information with everyone. Most of us are left relying on faith or guesswork. That just isn't for me anymore. If God wants something from me then I will give Him anything He asks.

When you teach children the Bible do you refer to God as an invisible silent dude?

I am not sure. It is possible that I could have said that. I have been deeply entrenched in Christianity. Our linguistical habits are second nature to me. I walk, talk and look just like a Christianity. I am even better at being a Christianity than the people that believe it to be true.

I am sure I refer to God in the most culturally appropriate way.

The Bible gl

This isn't appropriate for a public discourse.

I don't talk privately with people here anymore.

When you teach children the Bible do you refer to God as an invisible silent dude?

I am not sure. It is possible that I could have said that. I have been deeply entrenched in Christianity. Our linguistical habits are second nature to me. I walk, talk and look just like a Christianity. I am even better at being a Christianity than the people that believe it to be true.

I am sure I refer to God in the most culturally appropriate way.

No you're not.

I can guarantee that.

See my Marty Sampson thread.

Forum List

Back