Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and PETE YOST

HOUSTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he opposes a new photo ID requirement in Texas elections because it would be harmful to minority voters.

In remarks to the NAACP in Houston, the attorney general said the Justice Department "will not allow political pretexts to disenfranchise American citizens of their most precious right."

Under the law passed in Texas, Holder said that "many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them – and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them."

"We call those poll taxes," Holder added spontaneously, drawing applause as he moved away from the original text of his speech with a reference to a fee used in some Southern states after slavery's abolition to disenfranchise black people.

"I will not allow that to happen," he added.

More: Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

Holder is pandering to black people while campaigning for Obama.
This is not news.

I object to the idea that someone who knows they are in the country illegally would willingly put themselves under the scrutiny of the government. I finf that assertion to be utterly ridiculous. So Id take your wager is what Im saying.

that being said however, if you think you can catch some illegals and deport them that way, more power to you. I hope you do. Just try not to waste millions of dollars to deport like 20 illegals huh?

That's the whole point, at present they have NOTHING to fear. I've lived in heavily Hispanic areas and have worked in construction crews with illegals from Arizona to Georgia, and I can promise you the LAST thing they live in is FEAR. Fuck, NOTHING has consequences if you're illegal.

DUI, or almost ANY crime - No problem - Make up a name, you got no ID or Social Security number, there's no way law enforcement can verify anything you tell them. Post bond - change name - rinse & repeat - IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

Voter fraud is no big deal after that...

I hear you on the change their ID as often as their underwear. My family went through 18 months of hell because some illegal was using my identity and the IRS came after me for their cut.

You have convinced me to place my opinion on the issue back into the I dont know category.

Whaddayaknow... Progress... :cool:

That doesn't make me a Progressive, does it?? :D

By Nick Wing

Pennsylvanians will be required to show government-issued photo identification in order to cast votes in November, thanks to a GOP-supported voter ID law signed by Gov. Tom Corbett (R) earlier this year. While supporters argued that it was a simple measure meant to combat voter fraud, figures released this week show that the law may affect more than 750,000 Pennsylvanians who don't currently possess identification cards issued by the state Department of Transportation.

According to the report, which compared voter registration rolls with transportation department ID databases, more than 758,000 registered voters in Pennsylvania have no driver's license -- a primary form of identification. That's 9.2 percent of the state's 8.2 million voters, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. In Philadelphia, the state's biggest city, that number balloons to 18 percent of the city's total voting population -- around 186,830 registered voters, according to the newspaper.

More: Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Threatens To Disenfranchise Nearly 10 Percent Of State's Voters
The report is deliberately inaccurate. It takes into account only those without a driver's license. CLearly, the State law in PA allows for the use of other forms of ID.
This story is a whiny piece of shit.

Here is one of the examples in YOUR link.
This is what infuriates me about you libs.
This kid who lives in Hickory, is going to school some 250 miles away in Greenville, NC At East Carolina "State" University..Oh, it's not East Carolina "State"..The official name of the school is "East Carolina University"..
In any event, this kid states he will have to travel all the way home to vote. And that because elections are "generally held during the week"...No one can make up this shit...
All of these things are due to NC's Voter ID law..
Now, I have to call a big pile of bullshit on this fucking rocket scientist.
First off, his school ID will be acceptable ID for voting. Not only that, following this future Starbuck's Barista's logic, NO COLLEGE student away from home could vote...
Did this dumb ass ever hear of an absentee ballot?
Voter ID laws have ZERO to do with what this skull full of Creamed Farina is yammering about.
Ya know dude, your bleeding heart crap has been exposed as tiresome nonsense.
The more of these hard luck woe is me stories you post, the more ridiculous your position becomes.

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and PETE YOST

HOUSTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he opposes a new photo ID requirement in Texas elections because it would be harmful to minority voters.

In remarks to the NAACP in Houston, the attorney general said the Justice Department "will not allow political pretexts to disenfranchise American citizens of their most precious right."

Under the law passed in Texas, Holder said that "many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them – and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them."

"We call those poll taxes," Holder added spontaneously, drawing applause as he moved away from the original text of his speech with a reference to a fee used in some Southern states after slavery's abolition to disenfranchise black people.

"I will not allow that to happen," he added.

More: Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

Get the ID's
People have known about this for a year now...
If you can't get the paperwork done in a year then
you don't get to vote....

It really is that simple
They're the same buttpipes who pushed "motor voter", now having a cow over having to show the ID that many of them got when they registered/got the ID.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, Alice.

And as I'm pretty sure everybody here knows - not everybody who is eligible to vote and may be disenfranchised is on SS, SSD or SSI.

In other words, there is not enough voter fraud to justify this shit.

Did you miss the first "2 words"?

You believe absentee ballot is going to be the way to go? I don't.

It is a perfectly legitimate way to cast a vote. Done by millions of people.
An absentee ballot carries the same weight as one cast in person.
Every military person stationed overseas, expatriated US Citizens, college students attending school away from home, people who are US Citizens but work overseas....THese are just some examples of those who vote via absentee ballot.
So, where is the problem?

Did you miss the first "2 words"?

You believe absentee ballot is going to be the way to go? I don't.

It is a perfectly legitimate way to cast a vote. Done by millions of people.
An absentee ballot carries the same weight as one cast in person.
Every military person stationed overseas, expatriated US Citizens, college students attending school away from home, people who are US Citizens but work overseas....THese are just some examples of those who vote via absentee ballot.
So, where is the problem?

quoted for truth

Get the ID's
People have known about this for a year now...
If you can't get the paperwork done in a year then
you don't get to vote....

It really is that simple
They're the same buttpipes who pushed "motor voter", now having a cow over having to show the ID that many of them got when they registered/got the ID.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, Alice.

Maybe we should buy them Government Motors Cars, insure them, and keep those tanks filled for them, just in case. :) We could extend Poll Hours, because they might get lost, too.

So in a state like PA Dems cheat 10% of the vote, is there any state they would win with voter ID? Are all 57 states in play?

By Nick Wing

Pennsylvanians will be required to show government-issued photo identification in order to cast votes in November, thanks to a GOP-supported voter ID law signed by Gov. Tom Corbett (R) earlier this year. While supporters argued that it was a simple measure meant to combat voter fraud, figures released this week show that the law may affect more than 750,000 Pennsylvanians who don't currently possess identification cards issued by the state Department of Transportation.

According to the report, which compared voter registration rolls with transportation department ID databases, more than 758,000 registered voters in Pennsylvania have no driver's license -- a primary form of identification. That's 9.2 percent of the state's 8.2 million voters, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. In Philadelphia, the state's biggest city, that number balloons to 18 percent of the city's total voting population -- around 186,830 registered voters, according to the newspaper.

More: Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Threatens To Disenfranchise Nearly 10 Percent Of State's Voters

It is not like this was passed a week before the election. They have a couple of months to put together the few dollars, and the identification they need to get a state non-drivers ID. Get your ID and there is no stopping you from voting. By the time October comes around the people who want their ID and to vote will have it, and those who are too lazy will probably not vote anyway. If it is too hard to get to the DMV for a day then it would certainly be too hard on you to vote.

The point is that it's illegal to have to pay to vote.

It is not like this was passed a week before the election. They have a couple of months to put together the few dollars, and the identification they need to get a state non-drivers ID. Get your ID and there is no stopping you from voting. By the time October comes around the people who want their ID and to vote will have it, and those who are too lazy will probably not vote anyway. If it is too hard to get to the DMV for a day then it would certainly be too hard on you to vote.

But isnt the point also that one should have to prove you are who you say you are at the polling place?

I mean gone are the days when everyone in the community knew each other by face and name. With the anonimity of todays society, people are strangers for the most part.

So is asking people identify themselves really unreasonable?

But isnt the point also that one should have to prove you are who you say you are at the polling place?

I mean gone are the days when everyone in the community knew each other by face and name. With the anonimity of todays society, people are strangers for the most part.

So is asking people identify themselves really unreasonable?
Racist.

so since no one answered my question several pages ago, is it safe to conclude that there is no reason that poor woman cant get an ID before election day?

Which of the following is LEAST likely to be believed by Independent swing voters who put Obama in Office?

A) Voter ID Laws are Poll Taxes
B) New Black Panthers with night sticks outside a polling place is NOT Voter Intimidation
C) ACORN registering members of The Dallas Cowboys to vote in Nevada is not voter fraud

just white people showing how trash their race is by being racist. voter fraud numbers have never been a problem. this same crap they did in 60's in the civil rights.

Forum List

Back